Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting for 10000 simultaneous users on a VB board

Hi,

What kind of hosting configuration would support that ? Do I need to go dedicated ? Currently, I am on a VPS with these characteristics:

HDD Space: 1 GB
    Bandwidth: 32 GB
    Yearly cost: $124.70

On 1 machine there can be up to 100 VPSes.

My questions is: what kind of hosting do I need in order to be able to support 10.000 simultaneous connected users !? How about 5000 ? How about 1000 ?

Notes:
    1. Pay attention: I am not speaking about 10.000 registered users.
    2. The VB board is “clean” - no mods of any kind. (I know that the more mods you have, the heavier is going to be on server resources)

Regards,
    Razvan

A dedicated server for 10.000?
    But it cost money

Comment

That will undoubtedly require multiple servers. One won't cut it.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        That will undoubtedly require multiple servers. One won't cut it.
        I understand. With a modern server (let's say 4GB RAM and SCSI drives) how many users (an approximation, of course) can you serve ?

Comment

You'd need a small farm more than likely with split servers for their own processes.

3-4 front end webservers, one dedicated to static files.
          1-2 mysql database servers for replication and searching.
          Possibly a memcache server

I'd guess at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            You'd need a small farm more than likely with split servers for their own processes.

3-4 front end webservers, one dedicated to static files.
            1-2 mysql database servers for replication and searching.
            Possibly a memcache server

I'd guess at the very least.

Do I need to make any modifications to Vbulletin to support a configuration like you mentioned ?

Comment

You will need a high end Dedicated Server with powerful processor.
              Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
              Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
                You will need a high end Dedicated Server with powerful processor.
                So you are saying that 1 powerful server would do it, correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by mihai11 View Post
                  1 will not be enough.

Most of what i mentioned would not need any specific configuration from vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by mihai11 View Post
                    Yes, I think one powerful server will do the job with 8GB of RAM and much powerful processor.
                    Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
                    Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

I know of one customer that has 40,000 concurrent users and they are using 8 servrs. With all due respect I seriously doubt one server will be sufficient for 10,000 concurrent users. So don't be surprised if you find you will need more servers after setting this up.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Agreeing with Steve and Zach, I post on many very large vB forums and I know they usually need at least 3 or more servers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X