Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm stuck in host hell! Got any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stuck in host hell! Got any suggestions?

I'm currently using Bluehost for my forum and have had nothing but issue after issue. First I was receiving the "CPU has exceeded...blah blah" error message and after hours of phone calls I was actually able to figure out that problem myself. I turned off AWStats and that issue disappeared.

Now I am having another issue...my site doesn't load and I get bombarded with "Database Error" emails. I've called Bluehost and they weren't any help at all. They told me to install another copy of VBulletin and add another database user. Hogwash! I then asked them if they could move my site to another box and the guy was about as condescending as I've ever experienced while dealing with tech support.

My site isn't huge, I'd say on average there are 20 - 30 active members and 20 - 30 guests. Nothing that a shared server shouldn't be able to handle but Bluehost just can't do it and won't give me any explanations as to why.

I'm looking into getting a VPS and was looking at StartLogic last night. Their prices are reasonable for VPS and since my forum is football related I'm started to freak out as the season is right around the corner. If Bluehost can't handle the 25 active users then I don't even want to start thinking what will happen when the forum becomes a lot more active.

If you use StartLogic VPS what do you think? If not, what other hosting company that offers a quality VPS could I go with? Eventually the site will have 200+ active users since the forum has only been around since May and already has almost 15,000 posts.

Thanks for your help!

Moved to the appropriate forum.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Moved to the appropriate forum.
      Sorry about that, Wayne. Thanks for relocating for me.

Comment

Wayne,

Hope that you are doing well. Sounds like you may need a VPS, the reason why I say that is because your CPU limit is hitting Bluehosts max ... so its time to get a VPS account that will not place such heavy limits on your hosting and allow you to grow. Do you have a budget in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by lnxcode View Post
          Wayne,

Hope that you are doing well. Sounds like you may need a VPS, the reason why I say that is because your CPU limit is hitting Bluehosts max ... so its time to get a VPS account that will not place such heavy limits on your hosting and allow you to grow. Do you have a budget in mind?
          I have no budget but my site is not a "business" site so I didn't want to spend more than $1500 a year on it. I have been doing a lot of research on some VPS companies and I think I found the one I am going to go with.

I am going to go with http://www.hostican.com/ - I read in other threads that they are perfect for a mid-sized forum (500 active users reading/posting simultaneously). I don't know who it was but if you have a referrer ID, PM me and I'll purchase it through you and give you credit. Just send me your referral link.

Comment

I removed all the off-topic posts. Now try to show the thread starter some courtesy and offer something constructive. If you can't do that then don't post.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We've been with www.knownhost.com since March. Ultra quick support reasonable prices and no downtime. I've taken another VPS off them the other day to do some practise on because they've got a really good offer on at the moment.

Comment

knownhost vs hostican decision

We've been with www.knownhost.com since March. Ultra quick support reasonable prices and no downtime. I've taken another VPS off them the other day to do some practise on because they've got a really good offer on at the moment.

So does your experience with this host continue to be positive or have you moved on?

Comment

Looks like good offers and will tell you vps's that run with with cpanel need at least 384 megs to operate correctly really need 512 megs.

Joey
                  Real Web Host

Comment

For the price you are mentioning, there are many options including dedicated servers you can look into. I suggest looking over at webhostingtalk.com for a host (shared, vps or dedicated).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X