Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DelphiVillage
    replied
    wht advertises "leaseweb" a lame dedicated server company or serverpronto would be another example from there lame advertising i guess wht doesn't care to much about the quality as long as the advertisers pay there bill ...

Leave a comment:

• Gene Steinberg
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    So it's not only me... IMHO, one should be very wary of posting on WebHostingTalk too. I was shocked to find WebHostingTalk, IMHO, engaging in blatantly arbitrary censorship. Here's the text directly from their ridiculous "rules" which should place fear into anyone posting there:

"We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation."

It's no secret to me now how even traces of criticism of WHT disappear from their forums. IMHO, the text there simply cannot be trusted.
    The other problem is that they have vested interests -- quite possibly because they are advertisers -- and if you write too much verbiage against the prevailing winds, you'll wind up in trouble.

Believe me, I have actually talked to their executives, including the parent company's CEO, and found them extremely difficult to deal with.

Peace,
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
    Based on my own experiences with WebHostingTalk and that of others I know, I urge supreme caution. This doesn't mean you can't find a host based on reviews, but take the rest with a grain of salt.
    So it's not only me... IMHO, one should be very wary of posting on WebHostingTalk too. I was shocked to find WebHostingTalk, IMHO, engaging in blatantly arbitrary censorship. Here's the text directly from their ridiculous "rules" which should place fear into anyone posting there:

"We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation."

It's no secret to me now how even traces of criticism of WHT disappear from their forums. IMHO, the text there simply cannot be trusted.

Leave a comment:

• eUKhost.com
    replied
    Originally posted by annierob4 View Post
    I need a good Host that is inexpensive and has all the features (editing etc) Any Feedback appreciated
    What features are you looking at?

Leave a comment:

• encryption
    replied
    how big is your vb board ? do you have a link to it ?

Leave a comment:

• annierob4
    replied
    Yikes

I am new to this forum but not to vBulletin, free websites(beware) or computer developement. In fact, I must have 3 or 4 free websites that give me access trouble or don't have the tools to look really professional! Consequently, I don't use them. I tried to edit one today and my computer went wacko with Active X, FTP etc. which are all installed on it. I need more memory. I need a good Host that is inexpensive and has all the features (editing etc) Any Feedback appreciated

Leave a comment:

• zanack
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueEew View Post
    I also know that if you go on any webmastering or webhosting forums members are going to through you cheap offers for lowsy hosting.

This is something that is found on all of these types of forums, don't get me wrong though there are good members who generally help you. However you requesting hosting information just gets the resellers, and unproffesional sellers attention.

Thats why I regsitered here, to get opinions from those who actually care about vBulletin hosting. Here there are obviously members who have high stat forums, and therefore have hosting opinions and facts.
    I don't frequent that many webhosting forums and agree with you regards the potential for cheap offers to be thrown at you for lousy hosting.

What I did was to search various hosts using WebHosting Talk and the vB forums, and when I found the host I was interested in, checked the offers forum at WHT to see if I could find a deal that suited me. It worked out a treat! I certainly would never entertain in your face selling of webhosting via any forum and tend to distrust reviews unless they are backed up by several people - that is why I referred you to WHT. I intended not that you start a topic, but that you do a search for reviews instead. Fortunately my current host passed all my tests - they have a superb reputation which was stated over and over again on WebHosting Talk. I guess it's case of checking out everything as much as you can ... as you state, our vB forums are important to us.

I hope you find suitable hosting and again, good luck!

Leave a comment:

• BlueEew
    replied
    I have posted many request topics in a certain decent webmastering forum, however because I was requesting I was getting allot of offers that I didn't really need. However I have just posted an new thread asking if they have any experience with HostICan and if they have feedback. I will see what information I can get from there. I should get some quaity information as I always get my questions answered there.

I am up for HostICan, I just want to do more reasearch. I would also like to browse through forums that are very popular and have loads of activity that are hosted on them servers. Hopfully I can get my descion done soon, so I can get a start on moving to vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Gene Steinberg
    replied
    I do beleive that HostICan is a good hosting company, however it would help me allot of I heard this from allot more vBulletin users. If you know what I mean. I would also like to compare information and stats not pricing with certain companies.
    HostICan is a small company, so I don't know how many people around here use it, although they are certainly good with database-driven stuff. My suggestion is that you take the Google trip and see what others think about them and other companies. That's always a good way to get wide-ranging information.

Peace,
    GEne

Leave a comment:

• BlueEew
    replied
    I do beleive that HostICan is a good hosting company, however it would help me allot of I heard this from allot more vBulletin users. If you know what I mean. I would also like to compare information and stats not pricing with certain companies.

Leave a comment:

• Gene Steinberg
    replied
    Thanks for the great contributing posts. I agree with you guys also because I have been looking at losting for a long time now. The reason I mainly keep looking is the fact that the forum I want to move to vBulletin. Means the world to me.

I am glad to see that you have recommended A Small Orange, I have been suggested that many times. I also know that if you go on any webmastering or webhosting forums members are going to through you cheap offers for lowsy hosting.

This is something that is found on all of these types of forums, don't get me wrong though there are good members who generally help you. However you requesting hosting information just gets the resellers, and unproffesional sellers attention.

Thats why I regsitered here, to get opinions from those who actually care about vBulletin hosting. Here there are obviously members who have high stat forums, and therefore have hosting opinions and facts.
    Just to echo this: I am very, very demanding of good service. When I was using shared, I always put my sites on separate plans, so high traffic at one wouldn't affect the other.

In moving to the VPS-Extreme plan at HostICan, I put everything on one plan. Never regretted it. Runs like a fine Swiss watch. In talking with their customer service people, and the conversations get real geeky, I'm impressed by their absolute dedication to excellence and making sure the network infrastructure is as solid as possible.

Peace,
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• BlueEew
    replied
    Originally posted by zanack View Post
    Hi BlueEew

I definitely think it's a good idea to look around before deciding on a host. As you will see if you read back on this forum, there are several hosts that are recommended. As far as I can see, HostICan is a recent addition here recommended by one or two people.

You mention A Small Orange - I know that if you run a search of these forums you will find many kind words towards that company. I personally used them for a while, but that was now a long time ago. I believe their VPS offers are good.

I run a VPS with SolidHost who are excellent. They're a European company - I have a fully managed server with Pro Active Support which means that they run a programme on my server that automatically alerts them should anything go wrong ... fewer support tickets on my part! Mind you, to date, I've not had to open that many support tickets because things have run so well.

I would honestly advise you to check out the VPS forum at WeHhosting Talk. There are stacks of reviews of various hosts. For instance, if you're in the US, Known Host seems to be a superb company. Here's the link to WebHosting Talk VPS forum:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

I think it takes time to find the right host ... do Google and do check out reviews as much as you can. One or two people here may be helpful, but you perhaps need far more in the way of independent advice.

Best of luck!
    I agree that you should do your research. But I would NOT recommend WebHostingTalk, as they are invested in special interests and have been known get embroiled in silly issues, such as overselling, that are not relevant to choosing a host.

One would be better off just doing a Google search for reviews, and assessing the positives and negatives. Then call the hosts that seem suitable to make a final decision.

Peace,
    Gene
    Interesting comment Gene. I won't be following this up after this post because I'm popping in now - it's bedtime and I have a huge workload to worry about tomorrow ... but to make such a comment about a site that's so highly recommended and has such a good reputation seems quite astounding and contrary to anything I've seen elsewhere. Of course, you are entitled to your views .....

Anyway, I fully recommend the site having found my host there having followed reviews for a period of time. The offers forum is great - I got double specs which gave me a huge amount of space. I fully recommend them as I'm sure others on this forum do too.

Thanks for the great contributing posts. I agree with you guys also because I have been looking at losting for a long time now. The reason I mainly keep looking is the fact that the forum I want to move to vBulletin. Means the world to me.

I am glad to see that you have recommended A Small Orange, I have been suggested that many times. I also know that if you go on any webmastering or webhosting forums members are going to through you cheap offers for lowsy hosting.

Leave a comment:

• Yours
    replied
    Your forum is actually growing quite well in my opinion, however I am looking for views off more then one person. If there are more then one person who uses this host here, I would like there feedback.

Or if there are any other threads about that specific host, I would like to read through them. I would like to be 100% sure when chosing my VPS. Also are VPS servers managed?
    If you are looking for a more heavy loaded forums, I suggest taking a look see at mine: <link removed> -- we have been around for about 2 months, almost 3000 members, loads of posts, and we run about 18 quires per page load, if not more due to mods.

Most downtime i receive is due to people ddossing my site >.<

Leave a comment:

• Gene Steinberg
    replied
    Interesting comment Gene. I won't be following this up after this post because I'm popping in now - it's bedtime and I have a huge workload to worry about tomorrow ... but to make such a comment about a site that's so highly recommended and has such a good reputation seems quite astounding and contrary to anything I've seen elsewhere. Of course, you are entitled to your views .....

Anyway, I fully recommend the site having found my host there having followed reviews for a period of time. The offers forum is great - I got double specs which gave me a huge amount of space. I fully recommend them as I'm sure others on this forum do too.
    Based on my own experiences with WebHostingTalk and that of others I know, I urge supreme caution. This doesn't mean you can't find a host based on reviews, but take the rest with a grain of salt.

Peace,
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• zanack
    replied
    I agree that you should do your research. But I would NOT recommend WebHostingTalk, as they are invested in special interests and have been known get embroiled in silly issues, such as overselling, that are not relevant to choosing a host.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X