Hosting Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueEew View Post
    Dose a VPS preform just as fast as a Dedicated server, and do they have the same amount of uptime?
    They tell me it's close. That's for you to decide, but the VPS setup I have is noticeably faster and more consistent than the shared plan I had at another host earlier. And I think you'll agree with me that our vBulletin forum runs pretty close in speed to this forum, which is, I gather, on a dedicated box.

Uptime? Should be in the same league.

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

I am liking the sounds of that, so that must mean that it works just as fast as long as the VPS isn't ram packed with loads of forums, web sites, etc.

Comment

I am liking the sounds of that, so that must mean that it works just as fast as long as the VPS isn't ram packed with loads of forums, web sites, etc.
        There's some overhead due to the virtualization software, since the VPS environment is, in effect, a virtual machine. But it's not significant. When it comes to what uses the most resources, it's a database driven forum like yours. But I'm comfortable where I'm at now, and I think it'll be a while before I have to go dedicated.

Peace,
        Gene

Comment

I host about 10 different sites on my VPS-Rage through HostICan , one is my teamspeak host and soon to open webhosting company. I Honestly don't find myself moving to a dedicated for this case anytime soon as the VPS at HostICan is really really good. There was one outage for me that lasted about 6 hours, just in their 99.99% uptime garentee that was due to a motherboard switch failure, nothing more.

I highly Recommend HostICan. Even if you cannot purchase a VPS yet, I would go with their shared hosting and then upgrade later.

Comment

I will be able to earn the money online to be able to buy a VPS with a full years of fees, basically I will take the monthly cost, times that by twelve, and thats how much I will earn.

Once I have my vBulletin forum, and a web site to go with it up and completed. I will be making allot more online organizations. I am planning to become a webmaster for a living.

So how many people here use HostICan? Is it a popular hosting company for vBulletin users? I would like loads of feedback on HostIcan, from those who have used it. It would be great to see someone with a very large vBulletin forum on HostICan.

Comment

I will be able to earn the money online to be able to buy a VPS with a full years of fees, basically I will take the monthly cost, times that by twelve, and thats how much I will earn.

Once I have my vBulletin forum, and a web site to go with it up and completed. I will be making allot more online organizations. I am planning to become a webmaster for a living.

So how many people here use HostICan? Is it a popular hosting company for vBulletin users? I would like loads of feedback on HostIcan, from those who have used it. It would be great to see someone with a very large vBulletin forum on HostICan.
              We're not super large, at least in terms of our growing vBulletin forums. In 7 months, we're up to a little over 11,000 messages, but we've had as little as a dozen or two users at one time, and over 300 on occasion and we get a lot of traffic right after the radio shows are streamed live, when people are lining up to download the Podcast versions.

However, with a popular WordPress blog and two other database-driven forums, we're pushing a lot of MySQL connections simultaneously and it runs just great.

Peace,
              Gene

Comment

Your forum is actually growing quite well in my opinion, however I am looking for views off more then one person. If there are more then one person who uses this host here, I would like there feedback.

Or if there are any other threads about that specific host, I would like to read through them. I would like to be 100% sure when chosing my VPS. Also are VPS servers managed?

Comment

Your forum is actually growing quite well in my opinion, however I am looking for views off more then one person. If there are more then one person who uses this host here, I would like there feedback.

Or if there are any other threads about that specific host, I would like to read through them. I would like to be 100% sure when chosing my VPS. Also are VPS servers managed?
                  I think the person who posts under the name Yours uses HostICan as well. It's a small company, however, so I don't know how many visitors to this forum are customers of theirs.

But dealing with a small company has its advantages. You're not one of hundreds of thousands, so you can more easily develop personal relationships with the tech people, so they understand who you are and your needs.

As to management: It's an option with HostICan, but they do all the initial configuration you need. As a budding Webmaster, you'll find nothing in the WHM/cPanel controls in the package I have that's intimidating to you. After getting the basics set to your requirements, the rest is pretty straightforward.

These days, most of my visits to the control panel are just to check stats. That's it, really.

If the server itself has issues or requires software updates, they'll take care of that.

Peace,
                  Gene
                  Last edited by Gene Steinberg; Thu 19th Jul '07, 6:26am.

Comment

I wanted the server to be like once vBulletin is installed, and up and running I only have to go to the hosting account when upgrading software. HostICan dose seem like a good host to me.

I will obviously look around before jumping in, however this and A Small Orange is the most appealing to me. So far anyways.

Comment

Hi BlueEew

I definitely think it's a good idea to look around before deciding on a host. As you will see if you read back on this forum, there are several hosts that are recommended. As far as I can see, HostICan is a recent addition here recommended by one or two people.

You mention A Small Orange - I know that if you run a search of these forums you will find many kind words towards that company. I personally used them for a while, but that was now a long time ago. I believe their VPS offers are good.

I run a VPS with SolidHost who are excellent. They're a European company - I have a fully managed server with Pro Active Support which means that they run a programme on my server that automatically alerts them should anything go wrong ... fewer support tickets on my part! Mind you, to date, I've not had to open that many support tickets because things have run so well.

I would honestly advise you to check out the VPS forum at WeHhosting Talk. There are stacks of reviews of various hosts. For instance, if you're in the US, Known Host seems to be a superb company. Here's the link to WebHosting Talk VPS forum:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

I think it takes time to find the right host ... do Google and do check out reviews as much as you can. One or two people here may be helpful, but you perhaps need far more in the way of independent advice.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by zanack View Post
                        Hi BlueEew

I definitely think it's a good idea to look around before deciding on a host. As you will see if you read back on this forum, there are several hosts that are recommended. As far as I can see, HostICan is a recent addition here recommended by one or two people.

You mention A Small Orange - I know that if you run a search of these forums you will find many kind words towards that company. I personally used them for a while, but that was now a long time ago. I believe their VPS offers are good.

I run a VPS with SolidHost who are excellent. They're a European company - I have a fully managed server with Pro Active Support which means that they run a programme on my server that automatically alerts them should anything go wrong ... fewer support tickets on my part! Mind you, to date, I've not had to open that many support tickets because things have run so well.

I would honestly advise you to check out the VPS forum at WeHhosting Talk. There are stacks of reviews of various hosts. For instance, if you're in the US, Known Host seems to be a superb company. Here's the link to WebHosting Talk VPS forum:

I think it takes time to find the right host ... do Google and do check out reviews as much as you can. One or two people here may be helpful, but you perhaps need far more in the way of independent advice.

Best of luck!
                        I agree that you should do your research. But I would NOT recommend WebHostingTalk, as they are invested in special interests and have been known get embroiled in silly issues, such as overselling, that are not relevant to choosing a host.

One would be better off just doing a Google search for reviews, and assessing the positives and negatives. Then call the hosts that seem suitable to make a final decision.

Peace,
                        Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
                          I agree that you should do your research. But I would NOT recommend WebHostingTalk, as they are invested in special interests and have been known get embroiled in silly issues, such as overselling, that are not relevant to choosing a host.
                          Interesting comment Gene. I won't be following this up after this post because I'm popping in now - it's bedtime and I have a huge workload to worry about tomorrow ... but to make such a comment about a site that's so highly recommended and has such a good reputation seems quite astounding and contrary to anything I've seen elsewhere. Of course, you are entitled to your views .....

Anyway, I fully recommend the site having found my host there having followed reviews for a period of time. The offers forum is great - I got double specs which gave me a huge amount of space. I fully recommend them as I'm sure others on this forum do too.

Comment

Interesting comment Gene. I won't be following this up after this post because I'm popping in now - it's bedtime and I have a huge workload to worry about tomorrow ... but to make such a comment about a site that's so highly recommended and has such a good reputation seems quite astounding and contrary to anything I've seen elsewhere. Of course, you are entitled to your views .....

Anyway, I fully recommend the site having found my host there having followed reviews for a period of time. The offers forum is great - I got double specs which gave me a huge amount of space. I fully recommend them as I'm sure others on this forum do too.
                            Based on my own experiences with WebHostingTalk and that of others I know, I urge supreme caution. This doesn't mean you can't find a host based on reviews, but take the rest with a grain of salt.

Peace,
                            Gene

Comment

If you are looking for a more heavy loaded forums, I suggest taking a look see at mine: <link removed> -- we have been around for about 2 months, almost 3000 members, loads of posts, and we run about 18 quires per page load, if not more due to mods.

Most downtime i receive is due to people ddossing my site >.<

Comment

Hi BlueEew

Best of luck!
                                Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post

One would be better off just doing a Google search for reviews, and assessing the positives and negatives. Then call the hosts that seem suitable to make a final decision.

Peace,
                                Gene

Thanks for the great contributing posts. I agree with you guys also because I have been looking at losting for a long time now. The reason I mainly keep looking is the fact that the forum I want to move to vBulletin. Means the world to me.

I am glad to see that you have recommended A Small Orange, I have been suggested that many times. I also know that if you go on any webmastering or webhosting forums members are going to through you cheap offers for lowsy hosting.

This is something that is found on all of these types of forums, don't get me wrong though there are good members who generally help you. However you requesting hosting information just gets the resellers, and unproffesional sellers attention.

Thats why I regsitered here, to get opinions from those who actually care about vBulletin hosting. Here there are obviously members who have high stat forums, and therefore have hosting opinions and facts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X