Hosting Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Help

Hey, I would like to have a vBulletin forum. I already have a database because I am on a phpBB free hosting forum and they allow you to buy backups. However I am stuck with hosting.

I need a hosting account that will run a vBulletin forum very fast, and I will have a very good uptime. I don't know nothing much about servers or anything so I don't want anything complicated.

I just need your guys opinions on what hosting I should buy. Also I would like to know if vBulletin.com provide any type of paid hosting service, if they do I would feel that I should go with that host.

However if not I would like to know your guys opinions on what host is the best, I am thinking I will need some type of server. My forum database is around one year and half old and it as coming upto 40,000 posts and 1,500 members maybe more members.

Thanks,
    BlueEew.

Originally posted by BlueEew View Post
    Hey, I would like to have a vBulletin forum. I already have a database because I am on a phpBB free hosting forum and they allow you to buy backups. However I am stuck with hosting.

I need a hosting account that will run a vBulletin forum very fast, and I will have a very good uptime. I don't know nothing much about servers or anything so I don't want anything complicated.

I just need your guys opinions on what hosting I should buy. Also I would like to know if vBulletin.com provide any type of paid hosting service, if they do I would feel that I should go with that host.

However if not I would like to know your guys opinions on what host is the best, I am thinking I will need some type of server. My forum database is around one year and half old and it as coming upto 40,000 posts and 1,500 members maybe more members.

Thanks,
    BlueEew.
    Our vBulletin forum only started last December, so it's not as large as yours. But I've had great experience over at HostICan. Uptime is nearly perfect, performance is speedy and they have wonderful tech support.

Depending on how many people are online, you might work well with their shared environment. Overwise, they have affordable VPS.

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

I have been looking at A Small Orange, they are supposed to be a really good hosting company. Well thats what I have heard, anyways dose anyone have any feedback on them.

Also Gene Steinberg, could you provide an link to that hosting web site have have told me about please?

Comment

I have been looking at A Small Orange, they are supposed to be a really good hosting company. Well thats what I have heard, anyways dose anyone have any feedback on them.

Also Gene Steinberg, could you provide an link to that hosting web site have have told me about please?
        Sure. www.hostican.com

Peace,
        Gene

Comment

Yeah I do see they look like a very good host, may I ask what plan you have been on? Also may I have an link to your forum, to see how it runs and stuff like that?

Comment

Yeah I do see they look like a very good host, may I ask what plan you have been on? Also may I have an link to your forum, to see how it runs and stuff like that?
            Sure. This particular forum is at www.theparacast.com/forums and I actually have several busy sites on my plan (three forums, two radio show sites, a science fiction site and a WordPress commentary site), which is VPS-Extreme. This may be a bit of overkill for you, however, unless you have other things going on. But if you continue to grow, maybe.

Peace,
            Gene

Comment

You have three forums and two web sites on that one VPS and it still runs that fast? Thats great. If I was to have the lower package but with just one forum will that be as fast as yours still?

Comment

You have three forums and two web sites on that one VPS and it still runs that fast? Thats great. If I was to have the lower package but with just one forum will that be as fast as yours still?
                Two radio show Web sites, plus the Sci-Fi site and the commentary site. We have about a million page views a month, and push over a terabyte of bandwidth.

They are: www.theparacast.com (the one with the vBulletin forum)
                www.macnightowl.com
                www.techbroadcasting.com
                www.rockoids.com

The other two forums have less traffic, and hence use MyBB, an open-source bulletin board system.

With one forum, I'm sure a lesser plan will be as fast.

Peace,
                Gene

Comment

I am only keeping one forum, nothing else at all. Thats why it seems a bit too much money for just hosting one forum. I don't mind though, I am now intrested in that host and A Small Orange.

Comment

I am only keeping one forum, nothing else at all. Thats why it seems a bit too much money for just hosting one forum. I don't mind though, I am now intrested in that host and A Small Orange.
                    You might consider shared to start and as you grow, just upgrade.

Peace,
                    Gene

Comment

Nah, I need a VPS. I am not hosting a forum I love to pieces on a shared account. I will find the correct VPS, which is right for me.

Comment

Nah, I need a VPS. I am not hosting a forum I love to pieces on a shared account. I will find the correct VPS, which is right for me.
                        They have a plan at HostICan, VPS-Rage, which is half the price of the one I'm using.

Peace,
                        Gene

Comment

They are allot cheaper then A Small Orange, however I wouldn't need that much space. If I have to go with a priciy plan I guess your host looks the most valuble for money.

Comment

They are allot cheaper then A Small Orange, however I wouldn't need that much space. If I have to go with a priciy plan I guess your host looks the most valuble for money.
                            Well, you should always look at a place where you can grow.

That's why I picked them. When I outgrow VPS, I can go to a fairly economical dedicated plan.

Peace,
                            Gene

Comment

Dose a VPS preform just as fast as a Dedicated server, and do they have the same amount of uptime?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X