Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody hosting at 1and1.com?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody hosting at 1and1.com?

    Does anybody hosting vBulletin at 1and1.com ???

    What plan do you have and how fast is server?

  • #2
    Originally posted by nostrum View Post
    Does anybody hosting vBulletin at 1and1.com ???

    What plan do you have and how fast is server?
    I had a two-day odyssey at 1and1 before I split. Their customer service is simply horrible, and there are far too many reports online about double-billing and other ills. Their BBB rating is also unacceptable, or was last time I checked a few weeks back.

    They seem to have decent uptime and reasonably speedy servers, and they are incredibly huge, but the customer service is a serious deal breaker.

    Peace,
    Gene

    Comment


    • #3
      I have heard similar views from my clients. Server is okay, works fine with VB. But customer support is not the fastest. If you are an experienced webmaster, they should be okay. Go for hostgator if you want a better support.
      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

      Comment


      • #4
        Never tried 1and1. Try eapps.com, VE's for a solid price. really good technical support. VB will run fine on one of their systems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nostrum View Post
          Does anybody hosting vBulletin at 1and1.com ???

          What plan do you have and how fast is server?
          Echoing what was already said. Uptime and speed ought to be adequate, but customer support is pathetic. That can be a serious issue if things go wrong.

          HostGator, based on what others have said here, seems to have good support and performance. DreamHost has good support, but somewhat poorer uptime, and that's partly based on my experience with them.

          I currently use HostICan, which has great uptime and performance and support. People wonder why I keep recommending them, and the simple reason is that it runs like a fine watch, and I'm very demanding of the services I pay for.

          Peace,
          Gene

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alemcherry View Post
            I have heard similar views from my clients. Server is okay, works fine with VB. But customer support is not the fastest. If you are an experienced webmaster, they should be okay. Go for hostgator if you want a better support.
            Hostgator have server issues I believe.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have had multiple dedicated servers with them for a couple years with no problems at all. I have heard that the customer service is outsourced and sucks, but never had to use it.

              Comment


              • #8
                1and1 sucks left right and centre, a big no no for people who want to start businesses or run big forums.

                1and1 are only good to buy domains from and to host little blogs in, thats all!

                We host various domains, they lack in support big time! Even help with little domains they struggle, they respond to you like robots as if they dont have time. If you ask them a particular question they reply back with a copy and paste job from their manual, they dont even touch upon the question you ask!

                So 1and1 not recommended!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just because a host offers a plan for less than 10.00 a month and throws in everything plus the kitchen sink does not mean it will run.

                  Joey
                  Real Web Host

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nostrum View Post
                    Does anybody hosting vBulletin at 1and1.com ???

                    What plan do you have and how fast is server?
                    There are lot of reviews on 1and1 these days. Hope you go through them and then go for hosting. ATB
                    Last edited by eUKhost.com; Tue 7 Aug '07, 7:57am.
                    Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
                    Email & MSN: [email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have been with 1and1.com for a couple of years. I can't wait to get away from them. Having 24/7 telephone tech support would be a plus, if they had a better command of the English language. But by far the biggest issue I have with them concerning my vB forum is that the database server (different than the domain server) is automatically restarted every hour, on the hour. They deny it, but I get hundreds of database errors every week that show different.

                      Jim
                      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                      www.TheFloorPro.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eJM View Post
                        I have been with 1and1.com for a couple of years. I can't wait to get away from them. Having 24/7 telephone tech support would be a plus, if they had a better command of the English language. But by far the biggest issue I have with them concerning my vB forum is that the database server (different than the domain server) is automatically restarted every hour, on the hour. They deny it, but I get hundreds of database errors every week that show different.

                        Jim
                        A couple of years? Why so long?

                        Peace,
                        Gene

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
                          A couple of years? Why so long?

                          Peace,
                          Gene
                          I only started my vB forum, thefloorpro.com, a little over a year ago. Until then, I had only a few personal sites and one SMF forum, none of which generated very much traffic and only one used a database (and its traffic was - still is - extremely low). So, my experience didn't change until my flooring forum got fairly popular. Several months ago the traffic was 1,000 uniques a day, now it's nearly 2,500. That's still prob'ly not a lot, but it's enough to show a difference. It took me a while and many calls to tech support to catch on. I asked vB support about it and the issue became more clear.

                          My quest for a good host has faltered. I sign up with one I think will be good and then find a lot of problems. I don't want to jump through a lot of hoops, but I still want great support, fast page loads, SSH access and a secure server environment. Some I've tried had issues with smtp, SSH access, slow or unprofessional support and other problems.

                          You've mentioned hostican several times, so I paid a visit (if I sign up, I'll do it through your affiliate link). I then visited your website, but it may not be a representative site. It loads very slow, but prob'ly only because of the radio station. I think I'd like to pay a visit to some other sites they host to see how quickly they load and function.

                          Jim
                          PS: jeez, it took me nearly 3 years to get to this 100th post???
                          Last edited by eJM; Mon 6 Aug '07, 12:56pm.
                          If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                          www.TheFloorPro.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by eJM View Post
                            I only started my vB forum, thefloorpro.com, a little over a year ago. Until then, I had only a few personal sites and one SMF forum, none of which generated very much traffic and only one used a database (and its traffic was - still is - extremely low). So, my experience didn't change until my flooring forum got fairly popular. Several months ago the traffic was 1,000 uniques a day, now it's nearly 2,500. That's still prob'ly not a lot, but it's enough to show a difference. It took me a while and many calls to tech support to catch on. I asked vB support about it and the issue became more clear.

                            My quest for a good host has faltered. I sign up with one I think will be good and then find a lot of problems. I don't want to jump through a lot of hoops, but I still want great support, fast page loads, SSH access and a secure server environment. Some I've tried had issues with smtp, SSH access, slow or unprofessional support and other problems.

                            You've mentioned hostican several times, so I paid a visit (if I sign up, I'll do it through your affiliate link). I then visited your website, but it may not be a representative site. It loads very slow, but prob'ly only because of the radio station. I think I'd like to pay a visit to some other sites they host to see how quickly they load and function.

                            Jim
                            You can try www.macnightowl.com. I find our sites load extreme fast. If there's a delay, it's usually because of syndicated banners that need to be retrieved from other sites, and slow us down a bit.

                            Peace,
                            Gene

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks. I had a nice conversation with telephone support (I mentioned your name and website) and am impressed. They do charge an extra fee for SSH access, but the total price is still reasonable to me (I don't place a high priority on price, but don't want to be over-charged either).

                              I bet there's some code magic you can do that will allow a page to load certain parts quickly and other parts, like banners or sound, to load when they are ready. That way you can present written content immediately and the other stuff can kind of process in the background. But that's a topic for another thread.

                              Thanks,

                              Jim
                              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                              www.TheFloorPro.com

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X