Recommend a host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a host?

I am looking to get a vps for Writer's Beat. In fact, I don't know if I need a "vps", but either way I need to get my own hosting plan.

I just need some advice on where to go. I don't want to spend that much money honestly.

My "awstats" currently show that I usually don't exceed more than 6 gb's of transfer a month. I get around 101,418,5 hits a month on average. Currently avg'd at 5k uniques a month.

I currently see a nice cheap VPS plan for 256 memory. Is that enough memory to sustain the site at those stats?

Thanks,
    Daniel

what are you running ? a wordpress blog ?
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

Well, we are on a vbulletin forum aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBeat View Post
        I am looking to get a vps for Writer's Beat. In fact, I don't know if I need a "vps", but either way I need to get my own hosting plan.

I just need some advice on where to go. I don't want to spend that much money honestly.

My "awstats" currently show that I usually don't exceed more than 6 gb's of transfer a month. I get around 101,418,5 hits a month on average. Currently avg'd at 5k uniques a month.

I currently see a nice cheap VPS plan for 256 memory. Is that enough memory to sustain the site at those stats?

Thanks,
        Daniel

Frankly, there's nothing in what you tell us what would indicate you really need more than a good shared plan. That's assuming, of course, that your vBulletin forum amounts to pretty much the sum total of the site, which it seems to be.

I have had good experience with shared hosting on DreamHost and VPS on HostICan, which also offers a shared plan.

The former gave me pretty good performance for my vBulletin forum with decent uptime. The latter has been near perfect.

Peace,
        Gene

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBeat View Post
          Well, we are on a vbulletin forum aren't we?
          well when ya started out saying I need hosting for "writer's beat" ya had me going
          www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
          www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

You need nothing more than a shared hosting. 5k uniques a month is nothing. You can run 5k unique a month a day on a shared host.

Performance wise too, a good shared hsoting might be betetr than a cheap VPS hosting. Seriously! You will be top end servers when you do shared hosting. Make sure that you select a good host and forget the VPS/ Dedicated for some time.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

Originally posted by alemcherry View Post
              You need nothing more than a shared hosting. 5k uniques a month is nothing. You can run 5k unique a month a day on a shared host.

Performance wise too, a good shared hsoting might be betetr than a cheap VPS hosting. Seriously! You will be top end servers when you do shared hosting. Make sure that you select a good host and forget the VPS/ Dedicated for some time.
              I agree that the proper shared environment can keep up with that, or should.

Peace,
              Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X