How much do you pay for hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you pay for hosting?

From reading these forums I gather many of you pay hundreds of dollars per month for hosting. I wonder if anyone would mind getting specific? How much do you pay per month for hosting? What does that get you? How do you cost-justify it (or do you)?

I pay a little over $50/month for my VPS. It barely meets my needs, and has zero room for expansion. I make some revenue from Adsense, but not enough to pay for a dedicated server that matched my current specs, let alone improved on them.

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
    From reading these forums I gather many of you pay hundreds of dollars per month for hosting. I wonder if anyone would mind getting specific? How much do you pay per month for hosting? What does that get you? How do you cost-justify it (or do you)?

I pay a little over $50/month for my VPS. It barely meets my needs, and has zero room for expansion. I make some revenue from Adsense, but not enough to pay for a dedicated server that matched my current specs, let alone improved on them.
    There are VPS plans that cost more and probably offer greater resources, storage and RAM. Is there no higher-end plan at your existing provider?

In case you want to know, I have the VPS-Extreme at HostICan (there I said it , and it costs as little as roughly $90 per month and offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Which host and which plan do you have now?

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

Hi Doug

Hosting is expensive once you move past the shared hosting environment. I run a VPS and found a great deal on WebHosting Talk within their advertising section. I have a Linux Enterprise Plan with a European provider with the following specs:

60GB diskspace
      800GB traffic
      1024mb guaranteed RAM
      1536mb burstable RAM

The cost for this is 79 Euros a month plus VAT.

Needless to say this would probably be unlikely to be of use to anyone outside of Europe.

The point I'm making though is that given the costs of dedicated servers which I can't afford at the moment, by checking out WHT, there are good deals to be found which might provide you with more space to grow.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else care to share?

Comment

As i already run a successful hosting company i get my hosting for free

Not everyone can do that i know but its the way to go.

Comment

You could try out ASmallOrange.com as well, I've read more good things about them than bad so they could be worth the test.
            www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
            www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

So much good advice, thank you. But no one is actually answering my questions.

Comment

Well we run our webhosting company so our hosting costs our offset from what we make off of other servers. But my server is about $230/Month and it's a Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz server with 2 gb ram, 160 GB HD and 1.5 TB of BW with WHM/Cpanel.

Maybe it would be easier if you tell us what it is about the $50/Month package that isn't suiting your needs because knowing what a dedicated server has to offer, especially when you can't afford it, is irrelevant to your requirement anyways.
                Last edited by encryption; Mon 9th Jul '07, 4:51am.
                www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

I only included what I was paying because I felt it would be rude to ask others to say without saying myself. I'm mostly just curious about the range people pay, and if they simply pay out of pocket or if they've come up with a way to monetize.

Comment

I only included what I was paying because I felt it would be rude to ask others to say without saying myself. I'm mostly just curious about the range people pay, and if they simply pay out of pocket or if they've come up with a way to monetize.
                    We monetize our sites by taking advertising and, on occasion, reader/listener donations. The radio shows also carry paid ads. That's our main source of income, and it covers our costs and pay us a modest salary. Certainly if you have a site that's large enough to require VPS, you ought to look into various ad models to cover your bills.

Peace,
                    Gene
                    Last edited by Gene Steinberg; Mon 9th Jul '07, 12:20pm.

Comment

I have VPS Rage from HostICan and pay 60 bucks a month for it.

Now how I go about getting the money for it is a different story. I asked around and found a co-partner of mine who was also interested in upgrading to a VPS. So we both pay 50/50 on it. I pay 30 bucks he pays 30 bucks. This way we both get what we need out of the VPS and are only paying half the price. Finding a partner like this That you can TRUST is very very usefull.

P.S. to Gene -- Thanks for recommending me to HIC. haven't had any downtime exept once when a whole block of VPSes got shutdown due to a motherboard switch. Other than that my websites have been running SUPER smoothly and SUPER fast. Thanks again (i am also loving roundcube hehe)

Comment

Originally posted by Yours View Post
                        I have VPS Rage from HostICan and pay 60 bucks a month for it.

Now how I go about getting the money for it is a different story. I asked around and found a co-partner of mine who was also interested in upgrading to a VPS. So we both pay 50/50 on it. I pay 30 bucks he pays 30 bucks. This way we both get what we need out of the VPS and are only paying half the price. Finding a partner like this That you can TRUST is very very usefull.

P.S. to Gene -- Thanks for recommending me to HIC. haven't had any downtime exept once when a whole block of VPSes got shutdown due to a motherboard switch. Other than that my websites have been running SUPER smoothly and SUPER fast. Thanks again (i am also loving roundcube hehe)
                        You can thank me for RoundCube too! I begged them to add it after the last RC update for that app -- and after a proper round of begging, they granted the request

They've been great for me too. That's why I recommend them so highly. As I've said before, I am a terror when it comes to perfection (I'm a Virgo), and this is as close as you can get when it comes to uptime and such.

Peace,
                        Gene

Comment

Ahh I'm a virgo too :P

Comment

I pay $100 a month for hosting.
                            The Relationship Forum
                            The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc View Post
                              I pay $100 a month for hosting.
                              Which company and plan -- and what's your experience been like?

Peace,
                              Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X