Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my vbulletin site shut down.. Plz Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my vbulletin site shut down.. Plz Help !!

I was a happy user of servage hosting, until my site got popular and then since, 2 days.. My site got shut down for the second time now.... For server overload.

This is the email i got :

I'm afraid I have bad news for you. We have been forced
    to take your account offline for the day due to an extremely
    high load on your account. At this time today our servers have
    served more than 417011 requests for your account.

You have not used to too much transfer it is a load issue meaning
    that your site has used too many CPU resources on the cluster. If
    more customers on the cluster caused such high load it would make
    other sites on the system run slower which would not be fair to the
    webmaster of those sites.
    Servage claims to offer 3600 GB bandwidth but looking at the stats, i dont consume more than 50 GB bandwidth per day. so whats the problem here ? What should i do next ?

My vbulletin info:
    Version : 3.6.4
    I have 3 styles , 20+ mods installed.
    Average users online per day : 500-700

Tried looking up some information on dedicated servers but terms like "Xeon" ,"Woodcrest" , "Switch Port" really scared me .

Also, dedicated servers offer not more than 1000 Gb bandwidth for 100$+ !!!! but servage claims to offer me 3600 GB bandwidth for 7$ a month for shared hosting !! Is this a rip-off ..?? or whats the hidden thing i dont see ????

Thanks for your help in advance.

Originally posted by WarDoGG View Post
    I was a happy user of servage hosting, until my site got popular and then since, 2 days.. My site got shut down for the second time now.... For server overload.

This is the email i got :

Servage claims to offer 3600 GB bandwidth but looking at the stats, i dont consume more than 50 GB bandwidth per day. so whats the problem here ? What should i do next ?

My vbulletin info:
    Version : 3.6.4

Tried looking up some information on dedicated servers but terms like "Xeon" ,"Woodcrest" , "Switch Port" really scared me .

Also, dedicated servers offer not more than 1000 Gb bandwidth for 100$+ !!!! but servage claims to offer me 3600 GB bandwidth for 7$ a month for shared hosting !! Is this a rip-off ..?? or whats the hidden thing i dont see ????

Thanks for your help in advance.
    The Terms of Service for most shared hosts will explain that they reserve the right to suspend or terminate service if you use too many server resources. This has nothing to do with storage and bandwidth. It's a matter of using CPU and RAM on the server. If one user takes too much, the others on the server will experience slowdowns and such. This is true for every shared host. There are limits to that kind of setup, and, no, they are doing nothing more than what other hosts would if a client grows too large for their system.

Clearly your site is no longer suitable for a shared environment, and you have to upgrade. The intermediate path between shared and dedicated is VPS, short for Virtual Private Server. In such an environment, you'll have your own walled off space where you can't hurt other users on the server.

The costs for VPS might range from as little as $20 per month to well over $100, approaching that of dedicated.

I use one of the VPS-Extreme plans from HostICan, which would surely fit your needs. Even their lesser plan might suit, depending on the resources that your mods use.

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

This has nothing to do with storage and bandwidth. It's a matter of using CPU and RAM on the server. If one user takes too much, the others on the server will experience slowdowns and such.
      So what determines the load on the RAM ???

Based on my requirement of :
      10,000 threads
      20,000 posts
      8,000 members
      and 700 average per day...

which hosting do u recommend ?

Comment

Hello,

It's quite normal, you really think you can use all cpu ressources and 3600 Gb for 7$ a month ?

They use a commercial technique called 'overselling', when you see the price for dedicated with only 1000 Gb per month it's because they are dedicated to you.

Most of the shared host will limit you up to 50 people online at the same as you are quite above, it's normale that your account got suspended.

So it's time to move to a dedicated server, around 150 $ per month for a good one with at least 2 Gb Ram, Cpanel and so on, they are many good datacenters around the globe.
        BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
        Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
        Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

It would be good idea and ask the the hosting company to provide you detailed information on the amount of ram and cpu used during your high traffic times and also any scripts or queries that may be causing this.
          If they do not have it enabled ask them to enable the slow query log for mysql and then provide you some feedback. It may be just a badly written scripting or code that is causing this. You really will not know until they can provide you some information.

I use one of the VPS-Extreme plans from HostICan, which would surely fit your needs. Even their lesser plan might suit, depending on the resources that your mods use.
          I am not sure about this hostican but seems Gene sure likes them as he pushes them in every thread on the forum here.

Joey
          Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by Interdit View Post
            Hello,

It's quite normal, you really think you can use all cpu ressources and 3600 Gb for 7$ a month ?

They use a commercial technique called 'overselling', when you see the price for dedicated with only 1000 Gb per month it's because they are dedicated to you.

Most of the shared host will limit you up to 50 people online at the same as you are quite above, it's normale that your account got suspended.

So it's time to move to a dedicated server, around 150 $ per month for a good one with at least 2 Gb Ram, Cpanel and so on, they are many good datacenters around the globe.
            I would also consider VPS, first, as a possibility. It's more economical and may handle this.

As to overselling: The actual issue is that if you had a static HTML site, you might, with some of those hosts, approach the bandwidth if they let you -- and a few will. But dynamic and/or database-driven content will never approach that before other limits come into play.

Peace,
            Gene

Comment

Bottom line to recommend a solution we need more information, just to throw out a recommendation of a vps or dedicated based on page views and members will not work.

Please ask your current host for more information and someone here can help you.
              Real Web Host

Comment

While I do agree that Servage tend to overload their servers a lot, but without reading the rest of your post, I can tell you right now that the 20+ mods is the source of your problem. Do you really need 20+ mods on your board? I fail to understand the folks who install all the unnecessary modifications from vbulletin.org simply because they CAN.

If you were hosting a heavily modified site like that, paying a measly $7 a month and then accusing your webhosting company that you dont use more than 100gb of BW / month, then yes your webhosts actions at shutting down your site are completely justified.

Try and realize that forum hosting goes way beyond how much bandwidth and webspace you use up. All the php and mysql processes executed by the machine thanks to your site, exert a heavier load on the server and this CPU load doesnt come out of your bandwidth or the space you use. Moreover with each query consuming modification you install, the problem magnifies itself with the number of active members who visit your board.

Get a dedicated server, move your site to it, and study the server load. You will realize the results of your actions in plain sight.
                Last edited by encryption; Mon 11 Jun '07, 4:39am.
                www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

All off-topic and argumentative posts removed. Please stay on topic. Thank you.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    All off-topic and argumentative posts removed. Please stay on topic. Thank you.
                    Thank you, Steve. Some of the stuff I saw and had to respond to was a little over the top.

Peace,
                    Gene

Comment

Do you have shoutbox on your forum? do you tried disabling it?

Average and peaks of users at the same time?
                      Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                      LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

i dont consume more than 50 GB bandwidth per day.
                        On shared hosting?
                        I'm surprised you didn't see this coming, what kind of site are you running?
                        Do you offer large files for download?

Comment

A classic case of overselling hosts!

You need a good deddicated server. If you are too confused with all these paramaters, go to hostgator and get a semi dedicated server. That must be good enough most probably. Otherwise they will upgrade you to a dedicated server. good thing about hostgator is there is only a shared, semidedicated and 3 dedicated servers, so nothing to confuse you. Their support is also nice, they must help you to select the best one.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X