Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Hosting Advice

Hello, experienced vBulletin users,

I have recently decided to migrate my SMF forum to vBulletin. My site has around 500 members, and at peak hours, there are around 50 active users. I've been pretty satisfied with my current host, but I want a change, especially since I'm also changing to vBulletin. So, I need some recommendations. I've read the entire "recommendations" post and also searched for vBulletin hosting on WHTalk, but all to no avail. Finding a good web host is so frustrating, my eyes are popping out already. I've discovered that what people recommend are usually their own experience, not necessarily a very objective review of web hosts (e.g., average user satisfaction). This finding web host business is such a hassle, so if anyone (probably someone knowledgeable) could just point me a couple of reliable, popular web hosts that I simply can't go wrong with, can manage vBulletin, and is less than $200 / year, I would be very, very thankful.

I was very close to choosing Steadfast Networks, but I looked at their forum and found very few posts. Perhaps their support just isn't through the forum, or I am use to seeing a lot of posts on my own web host, who has a very effective discussion forum for all sorts of topics. I've also read some bad reviews about them on WHT. So in other words, I just need a really reliable / popular web host that's also affordable. There must one of these kind of providers out there, but I can't just find them!! Here's a customer waving at you! I think if I spend like a week reading WHT, I may have some idea, but that is just too time-consuming...

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Last edited by ; Thu 5 Apr '07, 5:12pm.

I've been very happy with www.realwebhost.net.
    I think it's been two years with them with two different accounts.
    No affiliation. No commission.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by thelittlerock View Post
      Hello, experienced vBulletin users,

I have recently decided to migrate my SMF forum to vBulletin. My site has around 500 members, and at peak hours, there are around 50 active users. I've been pretty satisfied with my current host, but I want a change, especially since I'm also changing to vBulletin. So, I need some recommendations. I've read the entire "recommendations" post and also searched for vBulletin hosting on WHTalk, but all to no avail. Finding a good web host is so frustrating, my eyes are popping out already. I've discovered that what people recommend are usually their own experience, not necessarily a very objective review of web hosts (e.g., average user satisfaction). This finding web host business is such a hassle, so if anyone (probably someone knowledgeable) could just point me a couple of reliable, popular web hosts that I simply can't go wrong with, can manage vBulletin, and is less than $200 / year, I would be very, very thankful.

I was very close to choosing Steadfast Networks, but I looked at their forum and found very few posts. Perhaps their support just isn't through the forum, or I am use to seeing a lot of posts on my own web host, who has a very effective discussion forum for all sorts of topics. I've also read some bad reviews about them on WHT. So in other words, I just need a really reliable / popular web host that's also affordable. There must one of these kind of providers out there, but I can't just find them!! Here's a customer waving at you! I think if I spend like a week reading WHT, I may have some idea, but that is just too time-consuming...

Thanks a lot for the help.
      If you're pretty satisfied with your current host, moving to vBulletin shouldn't be a reason to change. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Alas, some of those message boards provide more confusion than illumination, with silly talk of overselling and what-not.

I currently use DreamHost for all my sites, including a vBulletin forum at www.theparacast.com/forums and you can check that out to see if performance meets your expectations. It has grown a lot in recent weeks, with over 100 messages a day (we started from zero around 13 months ago with an SMF forum ). Our maximum number of online visitors was 91, with no performance letdown.

Peace,
      Gene

Comment

To Gene

Hi Gene, I just went to your forum. Very nice. Do you know how much bandwith your forum or your site use up each month ?

I have a hard time deciding on the host... heard a lot of horrible stories about how some hosts turn off your account because of sudden spike in RAM or BANDWITH usage ...

thanks
        Needhelp

Comment

Originally posted by needhelp338 View Post
          Hi Gene, I just went to your forum. Very nice. Do you know how much bandwith your forum or your site use up each month ?

I have a hard time deciding on the host... heard a lot of horrible stories about how some hosts turn off your account because of sudden spike in RAM or BANDWITH usage ...

thanks
          Needhelp
          DreamHost tends to be more understanding about RAM and CPU usage, which are the issues that cause problems more than bandwidth.

In any case, the forum is young, about a year old, so the database size is roughly 35MB. Bandwidth, however, approaches a terabyte a month, largely because lots of people download the Podcast version. We also have the show streamed on-demand, live when a new episode is available, and it's also broadcast on a terrestrial station.

If you want more info, feel free to write me privately.

Peace,
          Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X