This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamhost for VB?

About a year ago, I had to move my forum off of my shared server with Dreamhost becasue of excessive CPU usage. They now claim unlimited CPU usage. I would really like to move my forum back due to cost, but would like to hear from others who might be running a medium sized board there.

My forum is located at http://www.therumormill.info/

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    AK Steel

I've only read negative customer feedback on them in the last few weeks over a few different topics. It might be worth looking into that before moving back.

Comment

Originally posted by bschneider5 View Post
      About a year ago, I had to move my forum off of my shared server with Dreamhost becasue of excessive CPU usage. They now claim unlimited CPU usage. I would really like to move my forum back due to cost, but would like to hear from others who might be running a medium sized board there.

My forum is located at http://www.therumormill.info/

Any input is greatly appreciated!
      They do not claim "unlimited CPU usage," but do say they will be understanding about such situations.

I have a vBulletin forum at DreamHost at www.theparacast.com/forums. You can check it yourself and see if performance meets your expectations. Our numbers are growing exponentially, and we are getting around 100 messages a day, and up to 91 people online at any one time.

The key here is what kind of forum you have, the amount of traffic and whether or not a lot of image files are exchanged. On the basis of my cursory examination of your forum, it's possible shared may not quite be suitable, particularly during peak hours. DreamHost has fewer tangible limits than many, but it's not a free ride. And maybe you need something more than shared.

Peace,
      Gene

Comment

stay away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMONAY2K View Post
          stay away from them.
          Thank you for saying absolutely nothing.

Peace,
          Gene

Comment

Several years ago I ran a semi popular forum (mentioned nightly on a popular radio program) on the Dreamhost servers and while I did notice some slowdowns and once in a while (less than once in a two month period) experience database errors. My overall opinion of dreamhost was they were a good solution for hosting a forum, even a popular one with 300+ users online at any given time.

I’d say give them a try with a code (normally you can find a code that will give you a full year for $9.95 the first year.) Another one that is similar to dreamhost (in my opinion.) is Media Temple’s Grid server hosting. I’ve ran a site uptime report every 1 minute on a site I hosted with them and at least once a month I found an average downtime of 20 minutes per month (for a 3 month period)

Comment

Originally posted by Discussions View Post
              Several years ago I ran a semi popular forum (mentioned nightly on a popular radio program) on the Dreamhost servers and while I did notice some slowdowns and once in a while (less than once in a two month period) experience database errors. My overall opinion of dreamhost was they were a good solution for hosting a forum, even a popular one with 300+ users online at any given time.

I’d say give them a try with a code (normally you can find a code that will give you a full year for $9.95 the first year.) Another one that is similar to dreamhost (in my opinion.) is Media Temple’s Grid server hosting. I’ve ran a site uptime report every 1 minute on a site I hosted with them and at least once a month I found an average downtime of 20 minutes per month (for a 3 month period)
              Since it's not kosher to mention this online, one can write to me for a DreamHost code via this forum, I suppose.

Peace,
              Gene

Comment

Avoid DreamHost like the plague!

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
                Thank you for saying absolutely nothing.

Peace,
                Gene
                That's the only thing you need to say about them. Avoid DreamHost like the plague! Their support sucks, and their hosting sucks - they have tons of unexpected downtime, seldom with apologies - horrible service. You can search all over the 'net for plenty of bad and horrible customer reviews on DreamHost, and why you shouldn't go with them.
                The Relationship Forum
                The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc View Post
                  That's the only thing you need to say about them. Avoid DreamHost like the plague! Their support sucks, and their hosting sucks - they have tons of unexpected downtime, seldom with apologies - horrible service. You can search all over the 'net for plenty of bad and horrible customer reviews on DreamHost, and why you shouldn't go with them.
                  Every large host has bad and/or horrible customer reviews. Nobody can satisfy everybody.

My personal experience -- which is something you can't report because you don't have any -- is that their support is first-rate and provides real information and not excuses like other services.

Unlike most other hosts, they acknowledge problems that cause outages. In other words, you have your facts reversed.

In addition, DreamHost is somewhat more tolerant of larger use of resources than other hosts that offer lots of bandwidth and storage space. This can be critical if your site is picked up at a social site, such as Digg, and you get more hits than you expect.

You can check my sites, such as www.theparacast.com (which has links to all the others) and see what performance really is. No fakery, no illusions.

Peace,
                  Gene

Comment

I'm just gonna c&p what I've written here

Now on to a really bad host for all things vBulletin: Dreamhost! I know their plans are unbelievable and everything but if you wanna send out admin emails via the UserCP -which I like to do about once a month- they threaten to delete your account because of SPAM mails you've been sending out. They don't care that people checked the checkbox while registering and that they can uncheck it anytime. They don't care that you include a link and description on how to unsubscribe from admin emails. They say it's spam. I've discussed that issue with them back and forth and there was nothing I could do but switch hosts.
                    ..and here:

I've been through a real mess with DreamHost too. I unlocked my domain and everything in order to switch over to DreamHost but they just couldn't do it. In the end, I had to renew at my old host PLUS pay an additional fee for the switch, which was supposed to be for free, to DreamHost.

My board has been down for days because of them and I couldn't even reach my members. It was a real mess.

And now that everything is done, they tell me I can't send out Admin mails through my AdminCP because apparently, I'm violating their spam rules or something. I've asked for help here, well more for reassurance than for help actually. DreamHost tells me I need an opt-in system for members who wanna receive Admin mails. Apparently, checking a box while signing up and being able to uncheck it anytime you want is violating their spam rules. Members need to be logged by their IP address, date and time too. Their suggestion: You might consider having a programmer add the IP address and date to the logging information script.

To sum it up: Don't sign up there even if it sound appealing. It's fine just for hosting big files and such, but for vBulletin, it's crap!

This is taken directly from their spam policy: "In particular, "spam" has proven to be a major problem for many of our customers and the Internet at large. Spam is a common slang term referring to the sending of unsolicited email, instant messaging, or other communication to a large group of people at once. Variations on this practice include off topic (and usually promotional) messages on bulletin boards, guestbooks, Usenet newsgroups, or chat rooms."

Comment

Originally posted by GreysAnatomy View Post
                      I'm just gonna c&p what I've written here

..and here:
                      What you are insinuating is nonsense. What they are saying about bulletin boards is the practice of spamming them with promotional announcements, with phony offers, etc.

The fact of the matter is that I have my vBulletin board hosted at DreamHost and it works just fine. Check it out at www.theparacast.com/forums for yourself and ignore the fear merchants who have other agendas and want to mislead you.

Peace,
                      Gene

Comment

Gene,

You're starting to sound like a paid spokesperson for Dreamhost. You seemingly show up in almost every thread here and on WHT to take issue with anyone who says something negative about Dreamhost.

You keep touting the performance of your own board as an example of how great Dreamhost's service is, but your board has 6K worth of posts and 434 members. I seriously doubt that kind of traffic would put much demand on any server.

At the end of the day, you're entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris! View Post
                          Gene,

You're starting to sound like a paid spokesperson for Dreamhost. You seemingly show up in almost every thread here and on WHT to take issue with anyone who says something negative about Dreamhost.

You keep touting the performance of your own board as an example of how great Dreamhost's service is, but your board has 6K worth of posts and 434 members. I seriously doubt that kind of traffic would put much demand on any server.

At the end of the day, you're entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else as well.
                          Ah you are clearly one of those message board trolls that, when you don't have something valid to say, you go on the attack.

Our board at www.theparacast.com is quite new. It was set up in March of 2006, and moved from SMF to vBulletin early in December of that year.

It had 5,000 posts just two weeks ago, closing in on 7,000, and is getting from 50-150 posts most every day since then. The database size is double what it was the first of the year and it is increasing at a rapid rate for obvious reasons.

We've had up to 91 people online at any one time. That doesn't make it a big board, but it is one that comfortably works on a well-managed shared host without problems.

What I have really said is that DreamHost isn't the only option. In fact, I clearly mentioned other possibilities in these forums and others, along with a reality check about the limits of all shared hosts and about checking for the one that suits you best.

But if you actually read my posts, you'd know that.

I will now sit back and see if you can cope with the facts or just go on the attack about irrelevant nonsense.

The ball is in your court.

Peace,
                          Gene
                          Last edited by Gene Steinberg; Sun 8 Apr '07, 9:49am.

Comment

Gene, calm down. There is no ball, there is no court.

Nobody is attacking you. I simply pointed out that you need to respect other people's opinions when they differ from yours. That was all. To me, it appears that you are trying to censor or discredit people who are giving a negative opinion about Dreamhost. If people aren't going to post their experiences, good AND bad, what's the point of having feedback forums at all?

And there's no need for name calling. I'm not a troll.

The point I was making in my previous post, is that your board, (mainly due to it's small size) is not likely to put many servers to much of a test. So therefore you're opinion isn't really relative to someone running a large site on Dreamhost. Doesn't that make sense?

To me, running the net insinuating that people who post something negative about Dreamhost, must be trolling, or have some kind of ulterior motive, to me looks a bit silly. But knock yourself out I suppose.

As I said in my previous post, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Not just you.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=594950&page=2

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=595192
                            Last edited by Chris!; Sun 8 Apr '07, 10:23am.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris! View Post
                              Gene, calm down. There is no ball, there is no court.

Nobody is attacking you. I simply pointed out that you need to respect other people's opinions when they differ from yours. That was all. To me, it appears that you are trying to censor or discredit people who are giving a negative opinion about Dreamhost. If people aren't going to post their experiences, good AND bad, what's the point of having feedback forums at all?

And there's no need for name calling. I'm not a troll.

The point I was making in my previous post, is that your board, (mainly due to it's small size) is not likely to put many servers to much of a test. So therefore you're opinion isn't really relative to someone running a large site on Dreamhost. Doesn't that make sense?

To me, running the net insinuating that people who post something negative about Dreamhost, must be trolling, or have some kind of ulterior motive, to me looks a bit silly. But knock yourself out I suppose.

As I said in my previous post, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Not just you.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=594950&page=2

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=595192
                              I see you are here spreading personal attacks by linking to messages that contain fake charges about where I work, even though my signature at that forum makes it clear what I really do.

What looks silly is your obsession with who I am or might be. That's pathetic, as is your erroneous assumption about the traffic on my message boards, and your inability to respond directly to what I wrote.

Are you trolling? I take your response as a confession. Do you have anything legitimate to say? That would be a change. Now show us you can be nice by either providing real information or just taking a breather.

Peace,
                              Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X