venturesonline.com - top people !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venturesonline.com - top people !

I would just like to start a thread that I plan to update weekly.

I have (after weeks of evalution) signed up with venturesonline.com I read most of the threads in this and other forums as I have a tight budget and limited knowledge when it comes to hosting,PHP, MySQL etc.

You can see that I was nervous and desperate to make a choice, the right choice.

So far I have signed up and have asked 2 questions, both of which have been replyed to within 2 hours. This is simply great support, and from a human, not a bot.

I must stress that I am not running, nor plan to run vBulletin on my (Venture3 virtual hosting package), so i cant offer advice there.

If you are a first timer looking for a host, drop by www.venturesonline.com

I started this thread as I didnt see anyone doing a regularly updating thread to let others know the score. I hope this is ok.

Next update, next week
    Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

yup VO is great and i have a dedicated server with them

All i can say is my vBulletin has been running flawlessly since the beginning -> http://animeboards.com
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Same with me. I have the same plan as you and run phpnuke and vBulletin without any troubles.
      Ueli

Comment

Same Here

I'm now running my vbPortal site on the Venture 3 plan. No problems for 3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by orca
          Same with me. I have the same plan as you and run phpnuke and vBulletin without any troubles.
          Your vBull Message
          vBulletin Message
          The board is closed at the moment since the server is moved and the mySQL-database is down. Please check back on Thu Jun 21.
          DAMN
          You're my Prince of Peace
          And I will live my life for You

Comment

Nuno, check back now. The reason why this message came was because Venturesonline moved to Verio with their servers. Unfortunately, they had a hard disk failure on my server but they fixed it within a few hours. And give me a credit foor the problems. Support is also great there.

And stupid me forgot to Turn on the board again...

[edit]
            I also updated the style now.
            [/edit]
            Last edited by orca; Sun 1 Jul '01, 9:55am.
            Ueli

Comment

orca
              your plan gives you 200 MB Web Space
              r u allowed to use all that to database only?

Comment

Any site whose CGI programs are using excessive amounts of system resources. Excessive amounts is defined as any amount that results in substantial degradation of server performance. Ventures Online is the sole determinant of what consititues degraded server performance.

This alone makes me weary of going with them as a host provider. Basically, you are powerless and since this is NOT QUANTIFABLE this is bunk. Also, they say only VB or PHBB can be run on their servers for boards otherwise it is CGI abuse. BUNK.

Comment

Just to give you all an update !

I got my site set up on www.mrvisor.co.uk I asked to have assistance in directing mrvisor.com and .net to the same servers, I got a reply within 30 minutes and this was done within 24 hours - top stuff !

I have also been having problems setting up a MySQL database. I dropped them a support question and I got helpful advice back in 45 minutes. Perfect.

I can not fault them at the moment, and I dont plan on using a CGI bin so I am not bothered.

People if you want A class support, you want VO
                  Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                    orca
                    your plan gives you 200 MB Web Space
                    r u allowed to use all that to database only?
                    I posted the wron plan. I have Venture 5 with 500 MB. I don't have to care about where they are used.
                    Ueli

Comment

Venturesonline.com just changed their policy: UBB and YaBB are not allowed anymore because of taking too much server resources.
                      Ueli

Comment

Yeah I saw that announcement too. Not a good time to have a UBB site on Venturesonline!

I notice they didn't make a distinction between UBB6 and UBBN 5.4x. I would think that 5.4x would not cause too many resource problems.
                        Last edited by Steve Machol; Thu 5 Jul '01, 2:57pm.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

shared servers only

Comment

Originally posted by nuno
                            shared servers only
                            True, but AFAIK UBB 5.4x should run fine on a shared server.

At any rate I feel sorry for any UBB webmasters who may be affected by this. It's not their fault that UBB6 is a resource hog.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have a dedicated at VO. Running vB at http://aforums.com

Excellent, quality, host.

-A Satisfied Customer
                              Richard Young, Esq.
                              asian forums | asians
                              Reverse Funnel System - Fastest Way To Monetize Your Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X