This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, bad pattern I've notced here....

If you're going to recremend a host, you *NEED* to state how much space/bandwidth are alloted per month.

Also - Most people here are probally *not* paying their host on a montly basis, if you post here their price, post it per a single payment for a year of hosting.

Example

Good VB 2.X Support / *NO* VB 3.0 Support
    60 GB Monthly xfer / 2 GB stoare / 90 bucks a year.

Then your pro and cons. A simple link sucks and most hosts suck anyway.

What I'm looking for is a good host with tons of bandwith (40 GB's or more per month) with about 1 GB or more of storage AND SUPPORT FOR VBULLETIN 3.0! My host does NOT support it and refuses to change a lousy php.ini setting.

Anyone know of any hosting plans that match that or at least come reasonably close? "Unlimited" bandwidth does NOT exist so if that's etched in your head call your host and tell them you're pressing 7 terabytes this month.
    John Bilicki III
    Webmaster of JAB Creations

Comment

• I'm more than happy with 24hostingnow.com. Great prices, great size/bandwith which is perfect for this forum, and it's very popular at most review sites and at WHT.

Comment

• Time For Vote !

Dear Collegues
        I have come all over the on going discussion regarding our concerns... where to go in hosting or as one of the members genuinely adviced : Be a Smart Shopper

My plan as I discussed it with the Sales Services put a? over Globat company ... since I have a problem with them in upgrading for 3.0.1 Gold although they are cheap ( 1gig for about 80$ ) they have problem in installtion Vb gold ... also be aware of your databse backups ... if your db damaged they simply backup your damage and get you back your db damaged again ... daily backup once and the last is overwritted...

the best thing I thought would be is to get the wright thing from start ... start good although expensive but you will get back the outcome for your descion later... Invest in this start ... so what I will do is simply ask Vb to advice me which is the best hosting based on this particular post by vote and ask the to provid me with a professional installation for my Gold Vb and the last thing is to buy a owner type license ... this will cost me around 259$ but what I will get is a decent fourm without hackups that might cost me a lot of crazzy hours ...

Please Can you make a vote or recommend a company so far I see most of our members recommend (1) f5hosting and (2) hostrocket ...
        Are you prepared to help ... I need your advice about the best company that can performe VBs especially Gold 3.0.1

Gratefull for all of You in advance
        warm Regards
        Fawaz

Comment

• Hey JAB Creations,

Monthly payment = $30
          Monthly Bandwidth = 100GB
          MySQL = Unlimited
          Storage = 4,500MB

Superb Customer Service and all round good value... www.asmallorange.com

I am in the process of evaluating moving my domain (>40GB) from my current provider over to ASO. WIll have decided in a few weeks.

If you try them, tell them (Tim - the owner) I sent you yeah...
          Last edited by TheMusicMan; Sun 25th Apr '04, 8:52am.
          John

Comment

• John, don't you mean 100GB?

By the way, I also recommend A Small Orange; it is the best hosting I ever had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
              John, don't you mean 100GB?

By the way, I also recommend A Small Orange; it is the best hosting I ever had.
              Cheers...
              John

Comment

• I'm now hosting with geekydesigns.com / it's Zach who works for VB and he's been a great help.

My main concern is not getting the absolute top ammount of bandwidth as so much as having that option if I needed to later upgrade to it.

My main concern is being able to pay once a small chunk of money and not having to worry for a year. Before VB 3 Globat did fine for me 90 bucks, 50 GBs and I haven't had more then 24 GBs of bandwidth for any specific month.

A big thing I see about what I don't like about hosts is when they configure something that a new user is used to configuring for themselves. That's my advice to any hosts. I am bought btw for the next year at least and possibly well past
                John Bilicki III
                Webmaster of JAB Creations

Comment

• I can recommend a very good host!

I got thrown off my previous server for using "excessive mysql resources". I had a very busy forum and was very jaundiced about Hosting despite all the promises they make. I've been with my current guy for nearly a year and I'll not shift even if someone offered me free hosting!

I got the 'advanced' package:

* 300GB Storage
                  * 10GB Transfer
                  * 50 FTP Accounts
                  * 20 MySQL DB's
                  @ $9.95 month

He has a smaller plan for about $4.95 and a more expensive one too. That one seems to be 20gigs for $20 a month, but you might be able to get a personally tailored one.

If you go over your bandwidth he won't turf you out, he'll discuss it with you to see if it's a one-off or whether you'll need to upgrade. I didn't get that option with my previous one, he just booted me.

He had me up and running before my members really understood we'd been dumped by the other host. The forum has run smoothly, can't remember the last time there was any downtime (and it was never more than a few minutes and rarely anything to do with them). When I developed a serious fault with my database he nipped in and fixed it quickly, and has helped me optimise the database.

He encouraged me to build up my forums, and I added Journals and the Usenet hack from VBorg as well as many others. Course they rarely got used so I dumped them, but I may add them again now I'm designing a completely new forum. Never been any problem about using excessive resources either, and I used to bug the poor fella a lot in the early days, so terrified was I of being turfed out on my ear again.

I don't have any advertising on my forums, but I put a link to him even though he never asked, because I figure a good host is worth their weight in gold and I didn't wanna see any of my members end up with a duff one.

I'm setting up new forums now (VB3.01), and again he's being helpful and encouraging. If you need a new host contact [email protected] (website: http://www.tvihosting.com) and tell him Phoenix from BigBad.net recommended him. He'll look after you.

There are good hosts out there!
                  Last edited by PhoenixBB; Thu 29th Apr '04, 6:14pm.

Comment

• In Jab’s post a request was made to make a listing of price, and further hosting specifications when recommending a host. Would it not be quite limiting if a host has only a few options available? Please forgive me if I cannot comply to the request, for listing the options found at http://www.realwebhost.net is just going to take me too long – for there are many to suit your needs.

This is great, because you can start off with a certain plan, and have peace of mind that when you need to, you can expand and upgrade easily. This flexibility is actually one of the reasons I chose to go with realwebhost.net. Their pricing schedule is very attractive, and their personal on hands service even more so. If you want to be looked after, and have your emails responded to within mere minutes, then you need look no further.

As far as VBulletin is concerned – Realwebhost.net hosts quite a number of sites running vBulletin (including mine). Their own support forum is VB3.

Since having moved from the once very reputable Venturesonline to realwebhost.net, both my sites have been running so much smoother and faster, and without any downtime. (Download speed to me is quite an issue!)

No one has actually mentioned software, so I thought I would. In my opinion a webhost who uses outdated software (not the latest versions) (mysql – php – cpanel – etc) should be scrutinised quite carefully, for to me it indicates a slackness of service.

Apart from updated software, and an additional, quite intoxicating list of software downloads, Realwebhost also offers email spamming and virus protection, which I have noticed many hosts don’t..

You know Phoenix – I could duplicate your post word for word, for exactly what you recount is what happened to me too. Both my running sites likewise don’t have any adverts, apart from the link I have in appreciation put in my footer, pointing to http://www.realwebhost.net (I think this speaks for itself!)

quinte
                    http://www.path-ways.com
                    http://spiritualsoul.org
                    Last edited by quinte; Mon 10th May '04, 7:39am. Reason: typo in realwebhost url

Comment

• I am FULLY HAPPY WITH MISH-HOSTING

Hello All,

My HOSTING provider, since last couple of months is
                      MISH-HOSTING www.mish-hosting.com

I WOULD say, its the best WHEN IT comes to shared HOSTING

And i am VERY happy with them, Excellent Servers, technical support avaialbe
                      MY DOMAIN IS running Excellent on it
                      www.tech-arena.com

Here are some of the plans offered by them.
                      http://www.mish-hosting.com/shared.html

And below is a description of there GOLD PLAN.
                      Disk Space 1,000 mb
                      Data Transfer 50,000 mb
                      FTP Accounts NO LIMIT!
                      Addon Domains NO LIMIT!
                      Parked Domains NO LIMIT!
                      Subdomains NO LIMIT!
                      POP3 Accounts NO LIMIT!
                      MySQL Databases NO LIMIT!
                      Mailing Lists NO LIMIT!
                      Monthly Fee $9.95
                      USD Yearly Fee $119.95 USD

All Plans Include
                      cPanel Administration Panel
                      Shared Nameservers (ns1.mish-hosting.com - ns2.mish-hosting.com)
                      Anywhere access of Webmail and Control Panel options
                      Custom scripts for personal and client usage
                      Ability to host and or park domains
                      PHP, Cgi, Perl and SSI language support.
                      Free Basic Support via Email/Helpdesk/MSN

JOIN IN TODAY
                      I have FACE A 1 day DOWNTIME.. till day. that was WHILE upgrading HARDWARE..
                      Check there website etc. in case u all need more info
                      http://www.mish-hosting.com

Sandy...
                      Last edited by SaN-DeeP; Fri 30th Apr '04, 1:53pm. Reason: ADDED url
                      TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

• A Small Orange

I'll add my vote for A Small Orange. In relocating my forums, the primary considerations were a seamless transition and minimum downtime. With Tim Dorr's personal assistance (at no extra charge), we were able to make the move very quickly.

In addition to the outstanding service we've received, the server loads are much lower now, and the forums are noticeably faster. This is what hosting is supposed to be like.

Two thumbs up for A Small Orange.

Comment

• asmallorange for me also. Switched to them cause ViperHost just slammed the door after taking my money,
                          My forum is running fine and their support has been excellent.

Comment

• I am currently on http://vizaweb.com They are very fast and reliable!

I have the Pro Plan and I get 1 gig disk space and 70 gig bandwidth for only $6/mo!!!

Well I have been with this host for about 2 months now and so far I am VERY pleased! They have great support! they even have FREE phone support!

Well I hope you guys check it out
                            http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

• My site is currently with Milescape and we are moving off of it. I am absolutely fed up. Their support staff was never very helpful. Over the last year they would either not know how to fix what was wrong, claim we don't have a problem when we certainly did, or tell us its our issue, not theirs, when it most definitely was a server issue.

Now, they aren't responding to my tickets at all. I've sent several e-mails, I've IMed the staff, and I've submitted a support ticket through their website. Nothing by silence. This is ridiculous.

On top of that, since we've gone live on their server, like 30% of our users have only sporatic access to our website.

Milescape is USELESS. Don't do business with them.
                              National Youth Rights Association
                              http://www.youthrights.org

Youth Rights Network
                              http://www.youthrights.net

One And Four
                              http://www.oneandfour.org

Comment

• Originally posted by KPalicz
                                My site is currently with Milescape and we are moving off of it. I am absolutely fed up. Their support staff was never very helpful. Over the last year they would either not know how to fix what was wrong, claim we don't have a problem when we certainly did, or tell us its our issue, not theirs, when it most definitely was a server issue.

Now, they aren't responding to my tickets at all. I've sent several e-mails, I've IMed the staff, and I've submitted a support ticket through their website. Nothing by silence. This is ridiculous.

On top of that, since we've gone live on their server, like 30% of our users have only sporatic access to our website.

Milescape is USELESS. Don't do business with them.
                                I could almost reuse your entire post to describe my situation, except I would have to substitute Globat for Milescape. After reading and re-reading this thread, it looks like a small orange is where I am going even though I will have to eat 18 months left of prepaid hosting with Globat.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X