Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could also buy space on a server that does backups only that most hosts provide then you could login on a daily basis and check the downloads there and download when needed.

Joey
    Real Web Host

Comment

• I do the same thing with two other forums, which use open source software. I also have a WordPress blog that has a plug-in capable of running the backup automatically and emailing it to me.

So Gene, other than the obvious cost benefit, how does the open source software compare to vBulletin?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJ View Post
        I do the same thing with two other forums, which use open source software. I also have a WordPress blog that has a plug-in capable of running the backup automatically and emailing it to me.

So Gene, other than the obvious cost benefit, how does the open source software compare to vBulletin?
        Extremely well. Go and check the specifications of a few and see for yourself.

Peace,
        Gene

Comment

• I am using Singhost.net dedicated server. The guy there have helped me tune the configuration like in the Server configuration box.
          It made a dramatic difference. From server load 6 to 2.
          Personally, I like Singhost.net because of their patience to such an newbie like me. Thumb up for their Customer Support. For price, it can' compare to US but it still great for people in South East Asia as the datacenter is in Singapore.
          This is my server details 2x Intel Dual Core 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard disk ( Cpanel show unlimited ). The server alone cost me 199USD/month.
          If can, you guy from US can test the speed as there is a direct cable from Singapore to US. My website is http://360themes.com/beta or forum http://360themes.com/yahoothemes

Comment

• www.HostGator.com

Almost a year that I have been using them and haven't really had a problem with them besides mass emailing.

I pay 15.00 a month for a swamp plan shared hosting.
            • 200 gb Disk Space
            • 1,000 gb Bandwith
            • unlimited sql
            • control panel
            • I was down maybe one time for 5 minutes which was in October
            The most I had on was 466 users with 20 being members and the rest guest and bots without a problem..

I think its a good plan. Im happy with them considering my last host..

If you know of any better let me know... lol
            Acrow Host

Comment

• Originally posted by silverleaf View Post
              Stay Away From Dot5.com Hosting. Hoorrribble!
              Yes that was the previous host I used. They are very bad.
              Acrow Host

Comment

• anybody here got an experience hosting vB on BlueHost? I am considering it

Comment

• www.servage.net

Having major problems with Servage at the moment. Its getting to be a joke on our forums, oh servers down again, and off they pop elsewhere.

Is this normal for Servage.net ? We're actively researching moving now.

Comment

• Stick with www.ReliableServers.com cant go wrong... I have 4 Message boards with them anda couple servers... 24/7 support is great too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Keev View Post
                      Stick with www.ReliableServers.com cant go wrong... I have 4 Message boards with them anda couple servers... 24/7 support is great too!
                      Which plan are you using?

Comment

• I used BlueHost I was Satisfied with it. It had great server Abilities wich allowd me to Run VB if i wanted to. But the Support wasnt that great, I was like the 20th caller then like one hour and 30 min later im finally there. Luckly i had speaker phone

Comment

• startlogic.com all the way! best I've seen so far. Been with them for a few years now.

Comment

• give Timihosting.com a shot

Comment

• I am currently looking for a reliable webhost for my next project, a webdesign firm. From what I've read so far on many other threads similar to this, the only logical decisions to best suit my needs are Servage and bluehost.
                              Both offer the best possible value/price and the high quality services I need for my firm.
                              The customer service at bluehost is simply amazing. Using the Live Chat interface, I've been able to get answers on different questions about their services from a sales representative within 10 seconds. However, Servage is probably going to be the proud future host of my website/community, due to its clustered servers, amount of bandwidth and storage, customer support (excellent from what I've seen in most reviews and customer testimonials) and payment flexibility.

Comment

• Just a couple of hosting services I would not recommend.

I was with both of them for almost a year until I got fed up and switched to the other. Initally I was with globat, then went to AIT.com. Globat had excellent prices and I had very little experience with hosting companies (and a little broke, too). I had an ecommerce (oscommerce) site. Initially everything was fine, for about 3-4 months then started becoming very slow, taking up to 5 minutes to load the home page (with 6 queries). The site would se 20-30 visits a day so it wasn't that busy. I asked them to see if they could do something and all they could say was it was due to the "load" of the shared server and nothing they could do and then offered me a "dedicated hosting plan" for $200 a month that would solve the problem. After a couple more months I got tired of it and moved to ait.com.

ait.com advertised that they didn't overload their servers and that there would be no issues with server load during the day. Also, for the first couple months everything seemed to work fine. After a couple months I added another hosting account and started a forum using vbulletin. Things seemed to be okay then suddenly I started getting slow pages loads (like with globat) I contacted them several times regarding the issue and that before signing up I was told t.hat it would not be an issue. Again, I was told that it was because it was a shared hosting plan, and that it is inevitible and was also offered a dedicated hosting plan. I upgraded to 3.6.8 and started having errors with the quick reply where it would say "error" and not show an error. After refreshing the page it showed the post. The problem ended up being because of low php memory limit (8mb) for the hosting account I was using.

So, I started reading the vbulletin.org/com forums looking for a new host and seemed hostgator was reasonable. I signed up and moved everything over about a month ago and the forum has been loading extremely fast at all times of the day and I'm very pleased. The quick reply error has also disappeared with the 40mb php memory limit. So far I'm happy. I like the cpanel interface.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X