Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last time I was here, osishosting was looking good, but it's been a while. at the moment i can't even check domain names, it's timing out but fine elsewhere....

i'll be searching for any recent posts regarding them, or if anyone has an update, TIA.

i just checked in with godaddy and they seem low-cost but i won't be considering them after reading here.

((also could use a link to point me to how much i'll need to know to host this system...i decided to not bother with the free stuff anymore, money's not that tight and i like the look and feel of this, very used to it....))

Comment

• So, I was planning on getting a new vB forum. My old forum is dead, so I decided to start fresh. Thing is, my old hosting sucks. I was going to go with a completely new one. I'm thinking of A Small Orange, Host Monster, and Nexcess. Any opinions on which I should choose? I've seen a lot of negative comments about ASO, but not much on the other two at all. Any help would be awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by QsKGlobal.com View Post
        Name- IX Web Hosting

Site- http://************.com

Pros:

-Cheap at 500 GB Space, 3500 GB bandwidth, 100 SQL DBs, 3 free domains, and 300 subdomains. Host up to 8 sites- Only $8 a month. Barely over a $100 a year after setup.
        -Quick setup
        -24/7 Chat, Phone, and Ticket support
        -99.9% uptime
        -Very fast servers
        -Great control panel
        -Fast support with ticket, email, chat, and phone support

Cons:

-.1% downtime at very weird times, sometimes for an hour or more
        -They're too perfect for the prices

WARNING!! Do not use this web hosting company. More downtime than a chinese hooker in bangkok and the support staff are less qualified than the tea drinking monkeys at the zoo. I have had outages every single day for probably the last 60 days. I rushed my last decision to get a web host but wont this time but I'm becoming desparate.

650 members, 30 online at any one time, 22 000 hits pm, 3 gb storage, 300mb database and about 50-80 new signings a month. Anyone any ideas?

Comment

• Reported to Better Business Bureau

I know this isn't a vBulletin specific question but I am hoping to some with knowledge in this regard. I had a BBB complaint filed by a user whom I permanently banned. This is a free, not for profit, not a charity, website. Does this guy have any grounds for this? I can lock anyone I want off my site, right?

Comment

• If you site is not a business, I wonder why the BBB even took the complaint.

Comment

• It would appear that this was a scam, so I sent a couple hours talking to DC this morning trying to give them them as much information as I could find on him.

Comment

• http://softlayer.com

Support is great, uptime is great, the best host I have been with by far.

Comment

• anyone ever use aplus.net for hosting?

Comment

• CheapVPS.co.uk - STAY AWAY

my vps has been down 4 times in 7 days for hours at a time - at the time of my writing this it's been down for 24 hours with fobbed -off responses to support tickets and ignored on MSN as advertised on thier support site:

Ticket ID: XXX-XXXXXX Department: Support Status: Open Priority: Critical Created On: 07 Jun 2007 03:50 PM Last Update: 08 Jun 2007 10:28 AM
                    All my requests have been polite and professional, and they still choose to ignore - STAY AWAY - i would rather sky dive without a parachute than go with this company again.
                    Last edited by LeatherNeck; Fri 8th Jun '07, 7:59am.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeatherNeck View Post
                      my vps has been down 4 times in 7 days for hours at a time - at the time of my writing this it's been down for 24 hours with fobbed -off responses to support tickets and ignored on MSN as advertised on thier support site:

All my requests have been polite and professional, and they still choose to ignore - STAY AWAY - i would rather sky dive without a parachute than go with this company again.
                      Thanks for sharing. They have a USA site too.

Right now, I'm in the 18th day at HostICan, where my VPS is still at 100% uptime.

Peace,
                      Gene

Comment

• Originally posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
                        Thanks for sharing. They have a USA site too.

Right now, I'm in the 18th day at HostICan, where my VPS is still at 100% uptime.

Peace,
                        Gene
                        I also posted my experience over on webhostingtalk.com, which seems to have given them a big kick up the backside, at least now I'm getting an ammicable discussion, I will post the outcome as and when it gets resolved.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeatherNeck View Post
                          I also posted my experience over on webhostingtalk.com, which seems to have given them a big kick up the backside, at least now I'm getting an ammicable discussion, I will post the outcome as and when it gets resolved.
                          It shouldn't take anything that drastic. Good customer service ought to be the norm, not the exception. And you shouldn't have to post your experiences on a public message board to get action.

Peace,
                          Gene

Comment

• Originally posted by garcia vega View Post
                            anyone ever use aplus.net for hosting?
                            Me and a cousin had a site there and they were very poor, including downtime and charging unordered servies to the credit card. We fired them after a few months.

Comment

• I've had a lot of problems with my previous webhost, after a power outage, all my data got deleted on the server... it was very frustrating,to say the least. I lost valueable business data and when i called them they didn't even have a backup of my data.

At first they wanted extra money for restoring the data, but then after i agreed to it, they told me that the data was lost forever. I knew immediatly that i must find a better web host with better service ~and they weren't it!

Until then, I didn't realize how important it's to choose a web host. It has had a huge negative impact on my business.

There is a good article online how to pick the best web host which taught me what
                              to look for in a web host.

Since then i have been very careful about who to choose. I'll always research their business and call them first just to test their customer
                              service and response; and find out what others say about them.
                              Customer service is such a huge part of this business when things go wrong.

hope this helps.
                              Shelly.

Comment

• Originally posted by amazonas719 View Post
                                I've had a lot of problems with my previous webhost, after a power outage, all my data got deleted on the server... it was very frustrating,to say the least. I lost valueable business data and when i called them they didn't even have a backup of my data.

At first they wanted extra money for restoring the data, but then after i agreed to it, they told me that the data was lost forever. I knew immediatly that i must find a better web host with better service ~and they weren't it!

Until then, I didn't realize how important it's to choose a web host. It has had a huge negative impact on my business.

There is a good article online how to pick the best web host which taught me what
                                to look for in a web host.

Since then i have been very careful about who to choose. I'll always research their business and call them first just to test their customer
                                service and response; and find out what others say about them.
                                Customer service is such a huge part of this business when things go wrong.

hope this helps.
                                Shelly.
                                My personal feeling is that, regardless of what a host promises about backups, you do it yourself. That way you can't get caught short, no matter what. With vBulletin, I just run a simple backup from the Admin panel and download to one of my computers. I do the same thing with two other forums, which use open source software. I also have a WordPress blog that has a plug-in capable of running the backup automatically and emailing it to me. I'd be nice to see something like that for vBulletin, where the automatic backup tools aren't very good, or at least the ones I've found so far.

Peace,
                                Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X