How much power do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much power do I need?

I run a forum that has no more than 50-75 people on at a time, but sometimes it gets REALLY slow.

I am currently on a VPS that gives me:
    895MHz CPU and 1024MB RAM , but like I said, often that isn't enough, so I've been looking into dedicated servers.

I am looking at one that is:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 1024MB RAM

do you think that's enough, or should I be looking at better servers? I just don't want to have to switch, and then do it again in a few months. My site's less than a year old and still growing, so I would like to get a server that would be capable of handling 100-150 users online.

Thanks in advance!
    I Love vBulletin

Xeons over Pentinums, and Opterons over AMD XP/64, avoid semperons and celerons like the plauge.

I would suggest getting a server as big as your bugdget can allot for now, to minimize downtime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      I would suggest getting a server as big as your bugdget can allot for now, to minimize downtime in the future.
      Amen...... get the most powerful server you can that your budget allows. You cannot go wrong with extra power.
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

... although, it's worth mentioning that once you reach a certain point, disk performance and available RAM become MUCH more important than processor speed.
        Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
          ... although, it's worth mentioning that once you reach a certain point, disk performance and available RAM become MUCH more important than processor speed.
          And what would that certain point be? Is it possible to point to a processor class, like "once you are in the opteron 242 level, you need SCSI" or something like that. I'd like to learn how to make good hardware combinations, that is to avoid setups where there is insufficient CPU power relative to the disk or RAM and viceversa.

Comment

Originally posted by riverdale View Post
            And what would that certain point be? Is it possible to point to a processor class, like "once you are in the opteron 242 level, you need SCSI" or something like that. I'd like to learn how to make good hardware combinations, that is to avoid setups where there is insufficient CPU power relative to the disk or RAM and viceversa.
            I'm a tech elitist so I'm probably not the best person to ask. It's my opinion that people should never lease any system with a Celeron or Semperon processor (but they do) or a system with a single IDE hard drive (but, again, they do).

Personally, I would never use a 7200 RPM IDE/SATA drive in a server. I would also never use a single-core processor. Knowing that people will, I'd have to say that a nice starter system would be a single-core P4 or Athlon 64 of recent vintage with 1GB of RAM and a pair of SATA drives in RAID 1.

Beyond that I'd move to a dual-core system with 2GB of RAM and 10K RPM SATA Raptors in RAID 1 (SCSI isn't really an appropriate match to a system of this level, but neither is 7200 RPM drives).

Next I'd move directly to dual, dual-core system (or a single, quad-core with room to expand) w/ 4GB of RAM & (4) 10K RPM SCSI Drives in RAID 10 (do NOT use RAID 5 if this is a DB server). Spring for 15K RPM drives if your host offers them and you can afford them.

Once you pass this point and need a multi-server setup then you should focus more processor power up front on your web servers and more RAM/Disk on your DB servers.
            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Thanks Jason!

Thank you Jason, I am fast becoming a fan of your posts, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Thanks for the very thoughtful thorough answer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X