Good Host Providers and Excess Bandwidth Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Host Providers and Excess Bandwidth Usage

I have had web2010 for a couple years as a host provider. Hostcentric was born and now things have definitely taken a turn for the worse. Downtime and other problems have occured. They changed the bandwidth policy (without notifying customers of course) and now are charging for extra over 10gig and 4 bucks a gig over. Last month they said I used 15 gig when the only log File I have access to says I used 11! They said those were only the "web server" logs and that other bandwidth was not included. No proof. Nothing.

So, does this sound reasonable (pricing, log info available to me, etc.)?

Also, who has a recommendation for a GOOD host provider?

Thanks.

that sounds about right.

My Ventures Online dedicated server only logs HTTP and FTP traffic - not email.

So if you are using emails a lot, then that could be why.

--James

Comment

Re: Good Host Providers and Excess Bandwidth Usage

Originally posted by jucs
      [B]I have had web2010 for a couple years as a host provider. Hostcentric was born and now things have definitely taken a turn for the worse. Downtime and other problems have occured. They changed the bandwidth policy (without notifying customers of course) and now are charging for extra over 10gig and 4 bucks a gig over.
      I assume you're on a shared server. If so, that's a really good price for a GB of bandwidth, especially for non-prepaid overages.

Comment

Originally posted by WildWayz
        So if you are using emails a lot, then that could be why.
        4GB of emails??

You should ask them to provide you the logs they used to determine the 15GB. If they have nothing to hide they should comply.

Comment

Jez. that was my reaction as well. I DO have access to the 15 Gig worth. Just not the extra.

Comment

Have you asked them to provide you the logs for the "extra"? Why on earth would they say no?

Comment

They say there is no way I can have access to them due to security reasons.

Comment

Hrm, you should request a copy of YOUR logs, as you require evidence of usage in order to pay what is owed. However, the problem is that these could easily be faked anyway - I would personally get your ass away from that host if you feel like you are being ripped off, and find yourself someone reputable.
                HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                -
                Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

That was my other question...who is reputable!?

Comment

Decent shared hosting service

I have been hosting my main website on http://www.digitalinet.com and they are pretty easy and low key. i haven't had any problems with having the sites go down and they are relatively fast and i use a LOT of bandwidth a month - typically 18-25GB. I pay about $100 for half a gig of space, 26 GB bandwidth, shared certificate but i could have my own, mysql, ssl, stats, etc..

my other two sites are in the basic category there and cost me just $6/month and they have ssl/mysql/php/perl/100Mb space/and 6 or 8 GB bandwidth included. $6 is pretty darned good.

eric

Comment

Try http://www.venturesonline.com Not only me but also other people here have very good experiences with them.
                      Ueli

Comment

Small & Medium sized forums can be hosted with www.ixunlimited.com
                        Sai

My Websites - Online Prepaid Mobile Recharge , Placement Papers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X