Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS with full independence

Hi :

I believe i need to move to a VPS type hosting.

I am being kicked out of shared for using too much CPU. However, i fear that i might be kicked out of a VPS for the same reasons.

Is there such a thing as a VPS where the diffrent virtual servers are fully independent and one would just run out of it's share of CPU and become slower without slowing the others down? That way using too much CPU would just be my problem.

Can the MySQL be indepent too or is that always shared?
    Vote for these issues:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all VPSes work that way. You're given X amount of RAM and processing power, and a lot of VPSes will allow you to burst, meaning you can use more RAM and processor if it's available, but if another VPS needs it to meet their minimum, you lose it.

Comment

VPS accounts on a server that is not oversold should not interfere with each other. However, finding a host that does not oversell is a bit difficult...

EDIT: You're probably best off going with a low-end dedicated box like the $69/month box from ServerMatrix.

https://www.servermatrix.com/order.html?pkg=1901

EDIT #2: You may also want to read what I posted on my blog last week about picking a web host.

Picking the right web host
      Last edited by jasonlitka; Mon 4 Dec '06, 3:10pm.
      Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
        VPS accounts on a server that is not oversold should not interfere with each other. However, finding a host that does not oversell is a bit difficult...

EDIT: You're probably best off going with a low-end dedicated box like the $69/month box from ServerMatrix.

https://www.servermatrix.com/order.html?pkg=1901

EDIT #2: You may also want to read what I posted on my blog last week about picking a web host.

Picking the right web host
        The more i lokm into this the less i understand.

Naturally a 2-year old dedicated server should perform better than a 1/20th of a new one (VPS), but just not see how such a cheap dedicated can exist, even adding support and cPanel or whatever. Why would anybody buy a, say, $150 dollar VPS if they can go dedicated ?
        Vote for these issues:

Comment

They shouldn't. As a whole, if your site cannot run on shared hosting, you should skip directly to a dedicated box. VPS servers are, for the most part, a complete waste of money.

Comment

What is the difference between a low-end dedicated server like the Server Matrix reference, and a VPS at about the same cost (a little more actually) from Host Gator? thx

Comment

A dedicated box is exactly that, dedicated to you. The hardware specs in front of you are what you have to work with. VPS providers oversell their servers, just like shared virtual hosts, under the assumption that not everyone will actually use the full quota on their account. You cannot count on being able to use the "burstable" amount of RAM that VPS providers quote. In fact, with many providers, you cannot count on the "guaranteed" memory either.

Comment

You can't just discard every VPS host.
                i have one and it's super.

I jumped from shared host to host. Downtime, slowness, you name it. Everytime you contact the host, the site would speed up for a day then the same old thing.

I went and got a VPS and I have had nothing but A+ service, only 1 downtime in 4 months.
                Last edited by ComputerVitals; Sun 10 Dec '06, 8:27am.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post
                  I went and got a VPS and I have had nothing but A+ service, only 1 downtime in 4 months.
                  Who are you with? I am desperate at this point. Finding a good host is a nightmare. I want to pick a host and stick to it. The current one has last me 3 1/2 years.

For the same exact requirements i get offered any thing from $10 dollar shared hosting to $250 dedicated, with both cheap and expensive VPS in between.
                  Vote for these issues:

Comment

If you are looking at any host that pushes virtuzzo as its VPS platform then you are always in a semi shared/dedi enviroment. Its possable for other VPS to bring yours down. The linux ones are good, but stay well clear from the windows virtuzzo's as they are just rubbish.

I have moved to MSVS virtual hosting and its been rock solid. That was part decision of the hosting provider to move all windows packages to MSVS because of the ammount of complaints they were getting re virtuzzo.

I need microsoft for the sites i host.

I pay about $100 for the VPS with a 30 user plesk licence. All reasonable. I know there is cheeper but i did not want a VPS with higher ping times than 100ms to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post
                      You can just discard every VPS host.
                      i have one and it's super.

I jumped from shared host to host. Downtime, slowness, you name it. Everytime you contact the host, the site would speed up for a day then the same old thing.

Who are you hosting with?
                      Save ALT + S in FireFox 2.0!

Vote Now!

Comment

Originally posted by TSM2 View Post
                        If you are looking at any host that pushes virtuzzo as its VPS platform then you are always in a semi shared/dedi enviroment. Its possable for other VPS to bring yours down. The linux ones are good, but stay well clear from the windows virtuzzo's as they are just rubbish.

I have moved to MSVS virtual hosting and its been rock solid. That was part decision of the hosting provider to move all windows packages to MSVS because of the ammount of complaints they were getting re virtuzzo.

I need microsoft for the sites i host.

I pay about $100 for the VPS with a 30 user plesk licence. All reasonable. I know there is cheeper but i did not want a VPS with higher ping times than 100ms to the UK.
                        You probally could have goten a full server for that.

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys.

I have hosting with Knownhost.
                          http://knownhost.com

the servers are fast and in the US, they have 2 options, California Based datacenters or Texas.

They are a Semi-Managed hosting.
                          In 4 months I've had only 1 downtime when someone DDOS attacked the datacenter. I was only downs about 30-40 minutes if I recall right.
                          Here's my uptime stats.
                          http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...7&UserId=36628

As for Cost.
                          I pay 35 bucks a month, That includes WHM cPanel.

Comment

http://www.virpus.com/

they are offering free 7 days trial,i transfered all my sites yesterday after a bad experience with another host.

so far my experience has been good with virpus but its too soon for me to recommend them.
                            UNP - Auto Forum India - Playway

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              You probally could have goten a full server for that.
                              Possably, but deffo not in the UK and for lower charges it would be further in the US with pings starting at around 150 up to around 250ms for datacenters further away from the uk.

PowerVPS give good support which i generaly have been happy with. I would not mind if they gave more RAM with their packages though. I may look elsewhere in time if that does not change. I have looked elsewhere, but currently i get disaster recovery backups and seperate FTP backup space and actualy i have a 100 plesk domain licence.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X