Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mediatemple Grip Server - too good to be true ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediatemple Grip Server - too good to be true ?

Take a look at the specs for this new product from Mediatemple:

http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/

Looks amazing for the price, and Mediatemple have good reviews in the hosting business, but is this too good to be true ?

It is expensive... but for what I get, they never oversell

Comment

200 dollars a year for 100GB space and 1TB traffic is extremely cheap - that´s what I´m worried about. May be too good to be true !

Comment

Its realisticly impossible.

Comment

It does seem so.

Comment

I was reading some threads in WHT, and seems to be terrible overloaded, slow for PHP, downtime is too often, and things on that order, therefore I tend to think that yes, is too good to be true.
            Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
            LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

Maybe because MT have a lot of server? My friend is on server 53

Comment

Thanks for your posts. Just thought I would chime in a clear some things up for you. Most of the pontification at WHT is noisy and has little merit. There are few quality posts but most of it is word-salad-speculation.

- The (mt) GRiD is as over-sold as anything comparable. Your current host, our old (ss) Shared-Server, your gym membership, your cel phone carrier, etc. The point is we have a responsible scalabity design that allows us to deliver every amount of service that a customer would buy. It's not too good to be true. It's real, and completely factual. We can and will deliver every last GB or GPU that is requested from 1 or 1 hundred thousand customers.

- It is completely 100% untrue and false that the GRiD is "overloaded". Again this is people jumping to conclusions without any due-dilligence. Any issue we've had so far are things that simply were not found in the 4 month beta program. It has only been in the last 2 weeks we've been able to get real-world usage on the GRiD so indeed we are finding things, but we are striking them out quickly. It has nothing to do with capacity or scalabity. All PHP issues have been solved. The storage segment that caused issues this weekend was quickly addressed (this wasn't a redundancy issue or hardware failure. It was a bug in the code running the storage segments that would have caused issue on 2 or 2000 storage segments. good news is now we can run multiple firmware versions and isolate buggy code).

I'll be around later tonight and will be happy to provide answers or explanations to remaining questions that come up. Thanks again for your posts. If any of you guys are interested in beta testing our next product, please PM me with your details.

Comment

I can offer more for $140

Comment

Some good links about this:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=557914
                    http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=555581

Comment

Any examples of medium sized vbulletins running on GS?

If demian reads this, will the next product be more suited for large vbulletins (relatively speaking)?

Comment

One of the guys I work with was on the beta and is now using the service credit they offered to beta testers. He's already looking for a new host because the front page of his site takes 15 seconds to load (Drupal, not vBulletin).
                        Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                          One of the guys I work with was on the beta and is now using the service credit they offered to beta testers. He's already looking for a new host because the front page of his site takes 15 seconds to load (Drupal, not vBulletin).
                          I see, thanks for letting me know. I`m very happy at servermatrix, so this seems like a risk at best.

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                            I am experiencing the same problem with loading time on MT.

I've opened multiple support tickets regarding the issue as well.

Comment

I considered going with MediaTemple once, but I'm sure glad I always do extensive research on a host before choosing to go with it. I checked out WHT (as I always do before choosing to go with a host - I find you can read unbiased, honest reviews on web hosts on WHT), and I read about numerous problems that various users have experienced whilst on MediaTemple's Grid Server. I'm certainly glad I didn't choose to go with MediaTemple!
                              The Relationship Forum
                              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X