Rack Mounted Servers and Co-located Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Mounted Servers and Co-located Hosting

Well, I have been thinking about switching from my dedicated server to buying a rack mounted server myself and opting for co-located hosting, in order to cut down on some of my monthly costs.

Here's my top 3 list of servers, I was wondering if anyone had any comments or feedback about each server, which is best or worst, or any other good options I should consider. I am not looking for a "cheap" server, however I do want to get the best value for my money.

Dell PowerEdge 1550 - $4,835.00
    Model: PowerEdge 1550
    Processor: Pentium III 1GHz w/256K Cache
    Memory: 1GB SDRAM, 2 DIMMs
    Hard Drive: 2 x 18GB,Hard Drive,15K,U160,PE1550

Penguin Computing - $3,403.00
    Model: Relion 120 Server
    Processor: 1 GHz Intel Pentium III
    Memory: 1 GB PC133 (2x512)
    Hard Drive: 2 x 18.2 GB, 15,000 RPM, Low-profile SCA

VA Linux - $3,681.00
    Model: VA Linux Systems 1221 1U Server
    Processor: 1GHz Intel Pentium III
    Memory: 1GB SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    Hard Drive: 2 x 18.2 GB Removable Ultra160 Hard Drive (10,000 RPM)

Also, I am considering Verio for providing co-located server hosting.... if anyone has suggestions on other hosts with the same or better performance and reliablity as Verio for less, please let me know.

Thanks
    Last edited by Chris Schreiber; Thu 14 Jun '01, 10:43pm.

Penguin Computing's server looks like better value with the 15K drives with PC133 RAM. Better check whether the RAM is ECC also.

Comment

why are rack mounts so much more?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
        why are rack mounts so much more?
        Because they are designed to be very compact, to fit 42 computers in one rack, and usually made so you can "hot-swap" components like hard drives.

I figure the ROI (payback time for return on investment of the hardware) is about 5-6 months, so this makes sense even if the hardware is a bit expensive.

Comment

Id go for the Penguin Computing Chris.
          Good Value for the Money and the extra 5,000RPM will surely be noticed

But then again, my friend has a VA Linux server and it runs great! He got a Dual 866Mhz with 1GB ram, cant remember the model number, but hey - Ive had go and its super fast

I dont really like Dells because I find there support 9for home pc's anyway) is next to nothing and their systems are always way overpriced.

As for colocation, there are a number of Places I can recommend. Datacolo.com (The WizardsHosting.com NOC), Site5 also is very good

Comment

well you might also wanna look at www.racksaver.com 1U servers

http://www.racksaver.com/products/RS1100Matrix.asp

Also for colocation you might wanna check my host out since they colocate their servers at Verio's Denver datacenter -> www.venturesonline.com (VO exclusively use racksaver.com servers as well )
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

hehe, i've seen those rack mount systems at fry's electronics (west coast US chain). everything is all small and stuff. doesn't have quite the same impact of a full server tower.

Comment

RackSaver

If I were you I would steer very clear of racksaver, they are not quality machines from our experience. We have purchased quite a few from them in the past and had a decent amount of problems with them. Give penguincomputing.com a try.

-Brendan

Comment

I say go with the Dell's

I've got a Dell and one word you can use to describe their stuff is "quality". They put together a package that will work, period. All made with top brands and the prices are not that bad.
                  It's like buying a Hyundai instead of a Honda for a little more. Isn't piece of mind worth a little extra?

I've got the baby PowerEdge 350.
                  Celeron 700
                  512mb Ram
                  2-10Gb IDE drive (software raid)
                  Basic LAMP setup
                  Co-lo'd at RackMy.com

Sure SCSI would have been better but I'm on a budget here and that server is plenty for the amount of users I have, not to mention the total lack of revenue from the website...

Go with the Dell Chris, you know you want to.

Comment

We have used racksavers - cheap, crystal group - very expensive, penguin computing - middle priced. Out of those 3 the penguin ones have worked the best so far.

-Brendan

Comment

Noone ever got fired for buying Dell
                      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Re: I say go with the Dell's

Originally posted by mojotim
                        Co-lo'd at RackMy.com
                        Can I ask how you like the service there, especially from network uptime and performance?? I got an email from Mike (in reference to a post at WHT forums), and made me a good offer. Are you running W2K or Linux on your Dell?

Go with the Dell Chris, you know you want to.
                        LOL

Comment

Originally posted by fastforward
                          Noone ever got fired for buying Dell
                          I thought that was IBM?? LOL

Well since I'm my own boss, there's no risk of getting fired (just a risk of kicking myself in the rear-end if I make a bad decision!).

Comment

Originally posted by HostRocket
                            We have used racksavers - cheap, crystal group - very expensive, penguin computing - middle priced. Out of those 3 the penguin ones have worked the best so far.

-Brendan
                            really ? my server seems fine ... how long ago was this when you had racksaver servers ?
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

hey, hostrocket peeps are posting. heeeeellllllllllllllooooooooooo...

(i'm a new customer of yours )
                              Last edited by Jake Bunce; Sat 16 Jun '01, 1:32am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X