Getting sick of host jumping - tell me who you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting sick of host jumping - tell me who you use

I am a novice - no where near able to use a VPN and my new site, with my new install and no members is not generating enough for me to hire a SysAdmin to manage a VPN - so here I am.

I have practical knowledge - I am the Community Administrator for a "big boards" forum and two smaller forums, but I have a team of developers and sysadmins who do most of the coding and whatnot - I am a vBulletin backend kinda girl, the 'go to' when it comes to things related to vBulletin within our many different companies.

Anyway, I started a project of my own - I'd been using Dreamhost for a while and decided to give them a go - HAHA

When I couldn't get my site to load for two days, I moved on to Siteground.com - which has been fairly decent, my frustration is when I go to work on my forum/site, their servers crash - I've been a customer for 5 days and for the last 3 days, I've been down between 8 and 11 PM.

I need a good shared host until I can justify (mostly to my husband - who is already not to happy with the expense involved in this project ) a move to a VPN.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
    Brandy

I'm with www.burnouthosting.co.uk on their gold package. Nicely reliable so far. I've been with them since June this year and only had one period of downtime which they had notified me about and was for routine server maintenance.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

They crash when you go to work? Don't go to work! They're hoping you won't notice, haha.

I use http://www.midphase.com and haven't had any problems with them. Keep in mind that people judge hosts based on the server they are located on. Perhaps you're on a bad server with your host, or perhaps I'm just on a good server for mine.

Comment

Thank you guys - I am just so frustrated right now - I just hope I can find something and that when I *do* find something, I can install all my stuff again, since I paid someone to install it there...*sigh*

Comment

Chousho,

Can you tell me more about midphase.com?

They offer unmetered bandwidth - do you find that they mean it? It has a bit less storage and a bit higher price than I really wanted - but I'd do it, if they really didn't meter the bandwidth.

What kind of hosting do you use and what size is your forums?

Comment

I've been with Hostww.net for a year now and have found them to be reliable, helpful and quick to help when needed.
            Peggy
            ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandyHagz View Post
              Chousho,

Can you tell me more about midphase.com?

They offer unmetered bandwidth - do you find that they mean it? It has a bit less storage and a bit higher price than I really wanted - but I'd do it, if they really didn't meter the bandwidth.

What kind of hosting do you use and what size is your forums?
              The unmetered bandwidth is as long as you don't run a graphics intensive site or media downloads, or if it is soley based on a forum.

For instance, a site like mine, which will offer reviews and information on different Asian movies will be able to. A site like youtube would not, as it is a media based site. You have to ask them if you're eligible.

I've found their speed to be pretty good for shared hosting, along with great uptime. I've heard the same from a few people, but some complaints for some people on one of the older servers (mine is like in the 40's I think). That was why I mentioned about servers and hosts above. So, speaking from the experience I have had, I think they're doing a good job. However, I run a moderately small site right now, as I'm recoding it, and it has been down for a little while now. I think you should wait a bit for some of the people who run bigger sites to see how their hosts perform as well.

Comment

I've been using www.realwebhost.net for a couple years.
                Very happy with them. I like being able to pick up the phone and speak directly to the owner. Sometimes email and support tickets are not practical.
                But why do you need a VPN?
                ...steven
                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

What are your needs in space and bandwidth?
                  Don't go to that who offer more, you may get host offering 20 GB of space and 1000 GB of bandwidth for $5.95, but at the end of the day, you'll nothing but troubles.
                  Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                  LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

I'm now at EuroVPS. Even though the physical location of the servers is in Amsterdam, you wouldn't know it if you're in the US; there's no perceptable lag logged in to the shell, and my site loads as fast as it did when it was hosted in a US datacenter. EXCELLENT support, with fast response times. Mostly positive comments and feedback at Webhostingtalk.

For entry-level sites, I'd recommend A Small Orange. You might be asked to move if your site becomes too busy -- 100 or more simultaneous users -- but they just started selling VPS hosting packages again. Again, great support. I used ASO before I went to a VPS, and I still have an account there for emergency hosting.

I've heard both good and bad about Dreamhost. They might be a good option for emergency hosting.
                    Last edited by cyburbia; Sat 16 Sep '06, 8:59pm.
                    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

A Small Orange all the way! Do a serach with keywords 'asmallorange', 'ASO' & 'A Small Orange' on thsi forum & decide by yourself after reading vBulletin customers reviews.
                      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

www.asmallorange.com for more than a year now, I have shared and VPS accounts with them
                        I can recommand it 100%
                        StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
                        Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

I'm really surprised by BrandyHagz's comments about Siteground.

I've been with Siteground for a couple years. Their support is 24/7 and they reply every time within a few minutes. I've never experienced downtime. They load and upgrade software free. That includes vBulletin which they know well.

There are some bad apples in the hosting business. I know because I've dealt with a couple. Finding Siteground was a breath of fresh air for me. Being a techno duffer, I've been grateful for their support and assistance.

I feel so strongly about their quality and efforts I'll put my name with this post. By the way, I don't work for them either.

Bob Brumell
                          Barrie, Ontario. Canada.

Comment

I use http://godaddy.com for my website http://muppetcityforum.com they are a great service. Very friendly and always happy to help you with a problem, They are like vBulletin, Nice and friendly.

Phillip Friedrich,

Comment

I see so many hosting company names, that are nothing more than resellers.. don't waste your money buying only a small slice of the cake, when you for less can get the entire bakery store..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X