hostrocket vBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hostrocket vBs

post your forum links and what hostrocket plan you use. that is all. thx!

related questions (I'm too lazy to search):
    -do you get what you pay for? they seem really cheap.
    -max people you guys have had on your vB's on hostrocket...and what plan of course?
    -i hear they have zlib in their php install, experiences with gzipping your forums on hostrocket?
    -smachol had a problem with them loosing all his data if i recall. anyone else?
    -downtime?
    -etc, etc, etc.

my main concerns are performance, reliability, and capacity with respect to vB forums.
    Last edited by Jake Bunce; Wed 6 Jun '01, 9:10pm.

Re: hostrocket vBs

Originally posted by Jakeman
    post your forum links and what hostrocket plan you use. that is all. thx!

related questions (I'm too lazy to search):
    -do you get what you pay for? they seem really cheap.
    -max people you guys have had on your vB's on hostrocket...and what plan of course?
    -i hear they have zlib in their php install, experiences with gzipping your forums on hostrocket?
    -smachol had a problem with them loosing all his data if i recall. anyone else?
    -downtime?
    -etc, etc, etc.

my main concerns are performance, reliability, and capacity with respect to vB forums.
    I host with them and use gzip on my non-vb board. It's mysql/php and seems to take to the gzip well. I would guess that vb would also. Speeds things up greatly and reduces bandwidth. Oh yeah, I'm using their "economy package"
    Last edited by wert; Thu 7 Jun '01, 1:13pm.

Comment

I have two vB forums hosted with Hostrocket - both on the Economy package right now (until I can afford a dedicated server.) The public one can be viewed by clicking on the links in my sig. The maximum users online has been 25 and generally runs at 10-20. The other vB is a private board.

Other than the mixed up where they lost my site for 39 hours, they've been pretty decent. I wish they would answer their trouble tickets more promptly, but they generally follow-up and fix problems. Overall performance and reliability have been very good.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

fast loads on your forums.

Comment

mucho bueno como degado amigo, wa?

i've been taking your forums for a ride. Jake likes.

I'm getting their corporate package right now. I'm gonna transfer my site (and forums) over to hostrocket and see how it goes. From what I can tell I'm going to be saving $30 a month over hostpro, and I'll be getting better performance. You forums are already a little faster than mine, and mine will be even faster than yours since my forums are all textified. Plus I will get gzip (something which hostpro doesn't offer in their php). HEEEN!!!

Jake is happy. *does the happy dance*

Comment

their control panel rapes hostpro's.

Comment

Well things were going so well! However my Hostrocket site has been done for at least two hours with no word from Hostrocket about what's going on.

A traceroute to my site shows it stopping dead in the tracks at a VDI hop. Is that company EVER going to get their act together?
              Last edited by Steve Machol; Fri 8 Jun '01, 7:39pm.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i noticed... I wanted to spread the ZOMBOCOM religion on your forums but they were down. http://www.zombo.com/

call that emergency number they have.
                Last edited by Jake Bunce; Fri 8 Jun '01, 8:18pm.

Comment

I called them and for the first time ever I got a real live human being! The problem is that the machine my site is on was hacked and they're working to restore it. My site has now been down for over 5 hours.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

RE: Gzip compression

Originally posted by wert
                    I host with them and use gzip on my non-vb board. It's mysql/php and seems to take to the gzip well. I would guess that vb would also. Speeds things up greatly and reduces bandwidth.
                    What is the optimum setting for enabling GZip compression in the VB2 control panel? The highest value is 9 .. should I use the highest value for maximum bandwidth/speed advantage? Or will that have some side effects?
                    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

don't do anything besides "1", no matter your server. 1 compression gives you a ton of compression. Anything above that will greatly stress the server and hardly give any more benefit.

Comment

initial "test db transfer" successful. Nice gzip performance. Nice integrated chat too. Looks good so far.

Comment

final transfer of entire site, including forums, successful. Everything is running smooth. .htaccess in place. No problems.

excellent.

*does the happy dance*

Comment

Good job Jakeman!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

tsk tsk. the hostrocket support forums are running vB 2.0 beta 3.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X