Looking for a hosting alternative...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a hosting alternative...

I have used shared hosting from day 1 and have found it to suit my needs relatively well. I pay next to nothing at the moment (like 20 bucks a month) for hosting costs and everything runs very fast.

The one problem that I do have is that occassionally I suffer small, short, but very annoying outages where my site will be inaccessible. It happens several times each day to the point where if I am planning on working on the forum for a significant period of time 2-3 hours... it is bound to happen at least once.

I am considering a few options... move to a more reliable host or purchase my own dedicated server.

So I would be interested in the following information so I can make my decision:
    1. Suggestions for a good reliable dedicated server host.
    2. Information regarding what kind of server is best in terms of affordability and functionality. (My needs in terms of functionality is to be at least as fast as shared hosting and have 99.9% uptime)
    3. Any information regarding shared hosting solutions which have proven to be especially reliable and consistant.
    I do not mind paying more for better uptime!!! But I want to pay as little as possible to achieve that goal.

Thanks for the information guys!
    Game Further - Take Your Gaming Further

I know of someone who's got a Celeron that you could purchase for <$100/month probably. If you go here: http://www.jewlzk.com/clientarea2/contact.php or email [email protected] and mention my name, Trevor Goodyear, you can probably get it for under $100. Seeing as how you were running fine on a shared account, a Celeron is probably perfect for you.

I manage the servers there, so if you do have downtime, it'll my fault and you can yell at me
    Last edited by Tree; Thu 10 Aug '06, 3:46pm.

Comment

I sent them a message. Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else has any more imput or information it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I can also recommend ChargerTek's shared hosting as well as Hosting Department's shared hosting.

Comment

What about Jewlzk's shared hosting plans. I was looking at a few of their "Reseller account" options and they seem to have affordable prices.

How is their service in terms of hosting a growing vbulletin forum. (I am still considering the Celeron but I would like to have all the information to make an informed decision)

Thanks again for your very helpful info!

Edit:

Is there any information that I should be privvy to with any of these hosts. (SQL limits ect.)

Comment

I can't speak for HD or ChargerTek, as I don't manage their servers. But here's a phpinfo page for JewlzK, it has everything you'll need: here.

I've hosted a couple of vB forums on there, and the work great. There is one vB forum on there with a constant 1500+ members. It can handle them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree View Post
              I can't speak for HD or ChargerTek, as I don't manage their servers. But here's a phpinfo page for JewlzK, it has everything you'll need: here.

I've hosted a couple of vB forums on there, and the work great. There is one vB forum on there with a constant 1500+ members. It can handle them.
              Doesn't look like it has everything, GD is not even compiled within.

Comment

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what does that mean?

Comment

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what does that mean?
                  GD is an image library for PHP.

Doesn't look like it has everything, GD is not even compiled within.
                  That's actually a server for a dedicated client, and we compiled Apache and PHP to his instructions. He didn't specify GD, so we didn't compile PHP with GD. Here's a server that's compiled with all the goodies.

Comment

Attilitus http://www.dotable.com http://www.asmallorange.com

Comment

A good, reliable host that provides both shared and reseller plans

Hostww
                      Peggy
                      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

How big your forum is?
                        How many users at the same time does it have?
                        Monthly bandwidth?
                        Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                        LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

I'm on shared hosting at Hostww.net
                          Been with them for a year and have been very happy. Our boards' been down maybe... 3 times in a year, and only for a few minutes each time.
                          Peggy
                          ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

http://www.simplihosting.com/dedicated_servers.php (99.9% uptime) Peer1 network
                            http://www.idologic.com/ Global Compass network
                            Optimize your website
                            Cool Wallpaper
                            All Android Rom

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X