Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good HOST choice for an ABSOLUTE newbie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good HOST choice for an ABSOLUTE newbie??

In perusing a lot of the msgs here about the various HOSTs available, I'm trying to: 1)Avoid problems with poor HOSTs (i.e. 1&1, SITEGROUND, etc) and, 2)Find a good economical friendly HOST that can aid me in getting Vbulletin setup and running.

I've been a user on Vbulletin software, but know nothing of the ADMIN side...yet. We have a very small YAHOO forum (<20msgs/day) we want to move over to Vbulletin software somewhere to prepare for the future, as well as give us some more freedom & control of the forums.

In perusing the msgs on here, http://www.startlogic.com/ seems to be a fair choice for a HOST, but do YOU think they're a 'wise choice' for an absolute new beginner who knows little of nothing about Installing, & Running Vbulletin? Or do you think there are there other HOSTs better suited for a NEWBIE such as myself? If so, I'd really appreciate knowing who they are in your opinions.

Many Thanxx, for any advice in advance!

Cheers, A.D. Wade
    Shopping for a HOST? Ask me about A Small Orange

Hey seem easy enough to use... well for me since I already know a thing or two..

Anyway most webhosts are usually have the same options, as far as how easy it is.. I am not sure, however you should be able to manage, with these guys.

Comment

I am using www.lypha.com for an year now and so far they have been great. Like the amount of webspace, bandwidth I get, server speed, customer support and also different scripting support are top class. So give them a visit as well.
      Out to Change the world!

Comment

Originally posted by roosevelt View Post
        I am using www.lypha.com for an year now and so far they have been great. So give them a visit as well.
        Took a look and yes they seem alright as well, but my question was specifically about getting 'Vbulletin' installed, configured, & running.

In looking at lypha, they have PHP scripts for installing phpBB but I saw nothing mentioned about Vbulletin. In searching their knowledge base 'Vbulletin' only turned up 2 hits, so I didn't find much evidence of them helping beginners with Vbulletin offhand.

I guess what I DON'T want to happen is to sign up with a HOST and then on my first Tech Support issue, get a short-answer (i.e. 'you ought to know this') and be left on my own to figure out what's wrong. I'd much prefer to be signed up with someone who's a little more newbie friendly in that regard, and thus my inquiry here fishing for such a HOSTing company based on what you-all have seen/heard.

I just figured some companies are better, or a bit more patient with newbies anyway, in helping us along that are just getting started and those are the companies I'm really looking for.

Comment

I don't think that any host is going to have any problem in install VB for you
          Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
          LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

Originally posted by Jedito View Post
            That is GREAT to read.

Many thanxx for all the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedito View Post
              I'm afriad that is not true. Hosts consider their task is to keep servers fast & reliable for customers & not installing scripts for them. Installing vBulletin is fairly easy, & it's better to get used to these things as you'll deal with similar circustances during your being a forum owner.

For a good & reliable host, I defenitly recommend A Small Orange hosting.
              You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

When you get a Host, do you have to have a big electronic thing beside your computer to keep your website up and running, if so, is there any other way to have a website without having to get the large equipment.

Do you have to have a website to run vBulletin? or can you run it without one?

Comment

No, the host takes care of alle the hardware for your site. You don´t need a website.

Comment

Originally posted by wii View Post
                    No, the host takes care of alle the hardware for your site. You don´t need a website.
                    This is a misleading answer. It's true you don't need large equipment to keep the site up & running as the site will not be running from your computer. It will be located in one of the host servers.

That said, you do need a website to run vBulletin. It's not a free-hosted service like invisonfree.
                    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

My host is reliable, affordable and WILL install your vB for you. I've been with them for almost 1 year, and am very happy with them.

Hostww
                      Peggy
                      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Well, what I meant is that a website is not necessary, you can just use your host to have a forum and that´s it.

Comment

Installing vBulletin is a fairly easy process. If you run into any problems, you can in most cases get support either here on our forums, or through the Priority Support system. Support is free for users with a valid license.

If you feel unsure about installing vBulletin, then you have the option to purchase a Professional Install service while ordering vBulletin.
                          Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                          Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
                            If you feel unsure about installing vBulletin, then you have the option to purchase a Professional Install service while ordering vBulletin.
                            Good to know. I just looked though, and saw the Prof Install mentioned is almost as expensive as the software is. Yikes! So for a 'tiny' forum like us (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rocketriding/), and funding this out of our pockets I afraid that's beyond our (non-existent) budget for now.

Anyway, thanxx for all the replies and suggestions to my inquiry. As soon as Vbulletin v3.6 is officially released, I guess we'll be purchasing it and diving into things before long.

Cheers, A.D.

Comment

I like Site5.
                              Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X