Pros and cons of VPS servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons of VPS servers?

I am currenly looking in the Servint essential package for 50 dollars a month.

I hear VPS packages are better than shared hosting??

well. tell me if this is good for a vb forum

Originally posted by Servint Essential package
    ServInt VPS Package Details
    Included with every VPS you get:
    Price $49/mo
    Operating System Red Hat Linux
    Bandwidth Included 200GB
    Bandwidth Overage Rate $1/GB
    Guaranteed RAM 256MB
    Burst RAM 1GB

Hard Disk Space 10GB
    Fully Managed service with 24/7 support by phone and email
    FREE - Full daily backup, even if you're over your disk allowance
    FREE - Exclusive access to ServInt VPS Forums
    FREE - Registration in our Referral program to earn free service and cash
    FREE - Virtuozzo Power Panel
    Full root access - install custom software, control your VPS
    Hardware Details
    Host System Specifications:
    Intel Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz
    8GB Registered ECC DDR RAM
    73GB 15,000rpm U320 SCSI drives in Hardware RAID 10
    Hot-Spare drives, zero downtime during failure
    Hot-Swap drives and fans, replaceable on the fly
    Redundant Hot-Swap power supplies
    Control Panel Details
    Linux only (VPS without control panel):
    • Daemons : ftp, pop, imap, smtp, dns
    • Apache (redhat version, includes mod_ssl)
    • MySQL (redhat version)
    • PHP 4.3.x
    VPS with cPanel:
    • Apache (cpanel version, includes mod_ssl/frontpage extensions)
    • PHP (cpanel version)
    • Webmail: Horde, NeoMail, SquirrelMail
    • Database : MySQL (Default), PostgreSQL (available)
    • Web/Mail Stats : Analog, Webalizer, Awstats, EximStats
    • FTP Daemons : proftpd (Default), pure-ftpd (available)
    • E-Commerce : interchange
    • Chat servers : entropychat (html based), melange (java based)
    • Mail related : Spamassassin, autoresponders, mail filtering, mail forwarding, majordomo mailing list manager and spamd (spamassassin daemon).
    • Web Related : Redirects, phpBB (bulletin board), phpMyChat, HotLink protection, Search engine submission.
    • CGI Scripts : FormMail, CGI Email, Random HTML Generator, Simple/Advanced Guestbook, Visitor Counter, Countdown clock, Java Clock, Entropy Banner (rotating banner ads).
    • System related : Disk quotas, Customizable backup, Bandmin, Ability to cluster, Scan for trojan viruses, AIM/ICQ/Pager notification and Shell fork bomb/memory hog protection.
    • Daemons (general): ftp, pop, imap, smtp, dns
    VPS with Plesk 7.5 Reloaded
    • Plesk 7 Reloaded Power Pack: A bundle of the SpamAssassin, Application Pack, Helpdesk, Tomcat, ColdFusion, and PostgreSQL Add-Ons.
    • Apache (Plesk version, Supports SSI, Suexec, SSL, log files, CGI-BIN, HTAccess, Custom error documents, Web users, Multiple subdomain creation and types supported)
    • PHP (Any perl / php modules installed on server may be used for enhancing scripting capabilities)
    • Mail: IMP, SMTP, POP3 authorization and open / closed types of mail relaying, Optional SpamAssassin anti-SPAM email filtering, Includes and supports mail aliases, autoresponders and vacation messages, forwarding, spam filters, mailing lists, POP3/IMAP servers
    • Database : MySQL, PostgreSQL
    • Web/Mail Stats : Webalizer, Plesk Usage Reports
    • FTP Daemons : Extended Anonymous FTP configuration, Supports anonymous FTP for name-and IP-based
    • E-Commerce : osCommerce included
    • Development Tools : Includes ColdFusion Configuration Setup screen
      Includes Mambo Site Building Application, Support Microsoft FrontPage, scripting languages (Perl, Python, PHP, Perl / ASP), Tomcat JSP
    • System related : Online File Manager includes a WYSIWYG html viewer
      Includes a graphical file editor, with upload, download and attributes managers
    • Daemons (general): ftp, pop, imap, smtp, dns
    it doesnt talk about whether or not I can backup my site???. where could I find that out?, I mean it does mention backups but doesnt mention if I can get copies

cause I want a host that lets me backup my site and have copys of my back up for free.

do you think that this is a good deal? and is it good enough for a site that I expect to have like 100 people on at a time.. and how many posts and stuff is 10gb diskspace? is that alot or a little?
    Last edited by David Lama; Wed 12th Jul '06, 6:18pm.
    real name no gimmicks.

ServInt backs up your data for you, and you can always get it back very quickly. It's a good idea to do your own as well to keep them off-site

10gB of space is quite of lot and should be enough to see you well into the future.

Are you sure about the 100 people, as the base vps 'may' be a little under powered in terms of RAM. You can always upgrade without downtime though at ServInt.
    Lats...

Comment

Im not too sure about the 100 people thing. but I have high hopes

thanks for the response.

oh and. do you know if you can backup your site on your own with servint?? or do I have to ask them for a backup???
      real name no gimmicks.

Comment

Basically, you can do anything you like on a VPS, as you have root access

Site backups can be performed using cpanel (my fav) if you wish and you have full access to mysqldump etc through the shell.

Might see you over there
        Lats...

Comment

oh great!, thanks
          real name no gimmicks.

Comment

It partly depends on who is managing it also. Its not shared, your level of management may decrease to a point. You may have to do your own security upgrades and what not - just depends on the host.
            vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
            Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

I've been told 256mb RAM wouldnt be enough for VB to run succesfull with cpanel and all

so I think maybe I should get a bigger package

well. I guess I may just end up getting the signature package with Servint

which includes

$89.00/mo total
              $0 setup
              350GB Monthly Transfer
              20GB Storage
              2GB RAM burst
              (guaranteed 512MB minimum)
              RedHat Linux 9.0
              4 IP addresses
              Unlimited Domains
              Unlimited user accounts

12 month prepay = $961.20

would I be fine with that?
              real name no gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by David Lama View Post
                I've been told 256mb RAM wouldnt be enough for VB to run succesfull with cpanel and all

so I think maybe I should get a bigger package

well. I guess I may just end up getting the signature package with Servint

which includes

$89.00/mo total
                $0 setup
                350GB Monthly Transfer
                20GB Storage
                2GB RAM burst
                (guaranteed 512MB minimum)
                RedHat Linux 9.0
                4 IP addresses
                Unlimited Domains
                Unlimited user accounts

12 month prepay = $961.20

would I be fine with that?
                First go for the 256MB and see how it runs if you go for the 512MB you will not know how it performs. You can easily upgrade to the 512MB, they just change the settings for the VPS.

Comment

Agreed, nothing wrong with starting off on the smaller set-up. I started that way, and vB & cpanel had no problem running.
                  Lats...

Comment

^you started with the 256mb ram?? when did you decide it was time to upgrade? how many posts and members?
                    real name no gimmicks.

Comment

oh yea I forgot to mention I already have 400 members and over 15,000 posts.

thats from the invisionfree forum I have that I plan on transerfering and stuff.

would that work with the small package or na??
                      real name no gimmicks.

Comment

At the 2,000 members point, I started to notice a slowdown, so there's no rush there

I upgraded to a deuce package a while ago, (a host machine with just 2 main accounts), for reasons not associated with vB although the forum now speeds along nicely.
                        Lats...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X