How about GoDaddy.com as a host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about GoDaddy.com as a host?

Hi Guys. I've been looking at www.godaddy.com as a potential host for my new domains and forum. The price seems very competitive - and they claim to be one of the most popular.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations or comments on godaddy from those that have used it. Should I give a go? WDYT?

Cheers, twobob

GoDaddy restricts some things for rather stupid reasons.
    While vBulletin runs on it, I've had better experiences with other web hosts.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

do a search in thie forum, you'll get some rather pleasant reviews of a few webhosts (including goDaddy)
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

Originally posted by twobob
        Hi Guys. I've been looking at www.godaddy.com as a potential host for my new domains and forum. The price seems very competitive - and they claim to be one of the most popular.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations or comments on godaddy from those that have used it. Should I give a go? WDYT?

Cheers, twobob
        We use them here for a member base of over 2,000 registered.
        They've been great; zero downtime

Get a dedicated Linux solution with 1gb RAM, & a Cisco firewall.
        The Ultimate Sport-Touring Portal :)

Comment

I assume you're renting a dedicated box with GoDaddy ? Dedicated servers are HARDLY a basis of evaluation/comparison for the performance of the webhost in relation to their shared hosting environment.
          www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
          www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

Originally posted by encryption
            I assume you're renting a dedicated box with GoDaddy ? Dedicated servers are HARDLY a basis of evaluation/comparison for the performance of the webhost in relation to their shared hosting environment.
            Maybe, maybe not - regardless, he wasn't inquiring as to what the delta is between dedicated vs shared & hence the reply/ opinion.

For $125/ month (dedicated) with 2GB RAM, Plesk & a Cisco router included - I'd say that's the route to take.

Other considerations with GoDaddy ( or anyone including ASO & a host of others ) relative to shared vs. dedicated is this; more often that not, these hosts are not going to be running the latest (or best even ) versions of Apache, MySql, PHP etc. which YOU have control of through a dedicated box - as in upgrade those installs to run better security, speed etc, with recent releases of VB software... Do you really want your shared box to only offer Apache 1.x ? ( I think not )

Speed / gain / user experience etc. will be realized through better caching, RAM, more recent PHP & MySQL versions and YOUR tuning of these installs than simply suggesting that "shared is not as good as dedicated".

Control over your installs & the way you optimize them is the key.
            The Ultimate Sport-Touring Portal :)

Comment

ive also been considering godaddy to setup a new forum with google adsense down both sides and banners, and was wondering if when first starting the site up its necesary to have a dedicated server or can i get away with one otheir other packages listed below.
              Given it takes considerable time to generate traffic i thought i might be able to get awy with one of these.

Economy Plan:
              • 5 GB Space • 250 GB Transfer
              • 500 Email Accounts • FREE! Software
              • 10 MySQL Databases • 50 Email Forwards
              • Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries • No ads
              Deluxe Plan: • 50 GB Space • 500 GB Transfer
              • 1000 Email Accounts • FREE! Software
              • 25 MySQL Databases • Unlimited Email Forwards
              FREE! $25 Google AdWords™ Credit
              Premium Plan: • 100 GB Space • 1,000 GB Transfer
              • 2000 Email Accounts • FREE! Software
              • 50 MySQL Databases • Unlimited Email Forwards
              FREE! SSL Certificate, $19.99 value!
              FREE! $25 Google AdWords™ Credit

Comment

If you are just starting you probably need a plan with around 300-400 megs of space and 3-10 gig of bandwidth.
                Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by express
                  If you are just starting you probably need a plan with around 300-400 megs of space and 3-10 gig of bandwidth.
                  No way would you need that amount of space at first-When starting a forum, you'd want about 100 megs of diskspace and 3 gigs of bandwidth, and when it gets a little more popular upgrade your hosting

There is no point getting too much that you're obviously going to waste

Comment

Host cpanel godaddy very bad
                    Optimize your website
                    Cool Wallpaper
                    All Android Rom

Comment

Other than their Super Bowl ads, Go Daddy sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by condog
                        ive also been considering godaddy to setup a new forum with google adsense down both sides and banners, and was wondering if when first starting the site up its necesary to have a dedicated server or can i get away with one otheir other packages listed below.
                        Given it takes considerable time to generate traffic i thought i might be able to get awy with one of these.
                        I've had excellent results from my trials of Godaddy, and recommend them for people with the technical expertise to handle most security, etc. Their hardware is reasonably fast and reliable, and Godaddy support is reasonably capable, but takes a few hours for a response. If you're just starting, you may need more handholding than Godaddy offers, so I'd recommend a small VPS from someone providing excellent support, like maybe PowerVPS.
                        By all means, start with a shared or VPS account. You'll know when it's time to transfer to a bigger account, and it isn't terribly difficult to make that transition. And by then, you'll have a better idea what storage and bandwidth your site requires.
                        Good luck!
                        Jack.

Comment

Rule #7 of the Internet: Never use GoDaddy.com for web hosting!
                          Forums

Comment

I don't think so, I did help a few godaddy users here to install their board and when the setup is done, it's working just fine. Yes the Admin Panel is not user-friendly, but as jhobbs wrote, recommanded for people with technical experiences.

Well my opinion
                            Francois
                            BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
                            Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
                            Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X