Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibeblunt
    replied
    I'd just like to add, that I too am hosted by Rackspace and what we are paying for is tech support. I'm not a tech guru but I have experience with several server companies and Rackspace is the best. Some tech support people are better than others.

One company in NYC - ---.net was horrible. They had a guy there at night who didn't know how to do much but reboot the machine. Anything above that, he had to call the owner of the company and he would telnet from his home in Yonkers to fix your server - ONCE HIS WIFE WOKE HIM UP! And I had the situation where he wasn't home either.

The funny part is, I thought ---.net was great UNTIL I got to Rackspace.

The one thing that pisses me off with Rackspace is when I'm in crisis mode. They'll pick up the phone all 'cheery' and 'happy' and stay that way throughout the entire call. It's a good quality to have but I hate it. It's like "don't you hear the urgency in my voice!"

I eat off my site and I can't risk rolling with a host who isn't onboard 24/7...If I could find someone like Rackspace, but cheaper, I would leave as soon as my DNS transfered over, but I highly doubt anyone is out there who can match Rackspace.
    Last edited by ibeblunt; Thu 25 May '06, 12:30pm.

Leave a comment:

• Joshs
    replied
    Originally posted by Cynthia
    Why would they not?
    Larger organizations have processes to streamline. Add to that the machines may be under manufacturer's warranty and swapping out hardware may void that warranty. In most cases, larger datacenters are are not typically willing to switch hardware from different machine models they offer.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Well, you'd have to migrate the data and that could be a pain.

Leave a comment:

• Cynthia
    replied
    Why would they not?

Leave a comment:

• Joshs
    replied
    Meaning we could upgrade when the 15kb's became available with the hosting company we're with?
    Depends if the hosting company allows for that...

Leave a comment:

• Cynthia
    replied
    Meaning we could upgrade when the 15kb's became available with the hosting company we're with?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Their differnt harddrives, not normally a differnt controler.

Leave a comment:

• Cynthia
    replied
    I just get deeper and deeper into this! LOL!

If I may repeat my question - is the difference so very significant that I should aim for 15kb SCSI's?

And another: if we go with a 10kb SCSI would it be possible to upgrade to a 15kb? Or are we talking about a completely different server setup that would require moving to a new server?

Leave a comment:

• Joshs
    replied
    I would recommend looking into the SATA Raptor drives. They are approaching SCSI performance and are more cost effective than SCSI. However, as it has been stated, its probably a good idea to use SCSI for a DB server for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    SCSI is SCSI, 15k is faster so requests can be made even faster than a 10k. The main benifit from the drive is the onboard controler and the speed, I do believe there is a fairly big cost difference between the 15k and the 10k scsi drives

Leave a comment:

• Cynthia
    replied
    I've been keeping tabs on Erwin's server quest. Seems like he's after 15k SCSI's. Does it make that much of a difference that I should seek it out and turn down hosting company offers that only have 10k SCSI's?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    SCSI is important at the very least for mysql.

It doesn't amtter how fast SATA is, it sitll doesn't have its own processor to do lookups on the drives.

Leave a comment:

• rh2004
    replied
    It is a good offer. What about raptor drive can't they put those in at tp?

Leave a comment:

• Cynthia
    replied
    True. But we do want the Opterons.

I spoke with sales again. He said the Opteron with SCSI would be offered very soon.

Leave a comment:

• Joshs
    replied
    Hmmm... the sales guy at The Planet told me they do not have SCSI drives.
    I don't think that they have it on the AMD Opteron model but they do have it on other models.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X