Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://forums.theplanet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18915

Comment

We want SCSI drives. The Planet doesn't offer them.
      Eat Your Veggies

Comment

SCSI would be a good idea at least for the database.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
          We want SCSI drives. The Planet doesn't offer them.
          They do, just not on that server. Have you thought about co-locating? It may save you a nice chunk of change in the long run...

Comment

Thats a nice deal, Im going to call them up. I dont know if they offer the server management options that rackspace does.

Comment

Joshs, from the research I've done the TCO of colocation is insanely expensive esp in comparsion. And I'm thinking about long run, not short.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                Joshs, from the research I've done the TCO of colocation is insanely expensive esp in comparsion. And I'm thinking about long run, not short.
                It really depends on a number of factors such as bandwidth / hardware required. For many its a much better deal, but for others it may not be.

Comment

I called up ThePlanet.com about the deal on the opterons. Its a good price, so now Im wondering about the difference between Rackspace and theplanet.

TP offer:

P265D
                  Dual Core - Dual Processor AMD 265
                  2048MB RAM (8GB Capacity)
                  2 x 160GB SATA Hard Drives (4 Hard Drive Capacity)
                  2500GB Bandwidth
                  10 IP's
                  100Mbps Port Speed
                  Gold Managed Services
                  Urchin Stat's Package
                  40GB Backup plan
                  Windows 2003 or Redhat ES Operating System
                  IPMI

$359.00/mth, $0.00/setup

RS is more expensive, but the price includes everything such as support for one, which is important since I dont know much about server administration.

TP is cheaper, but offers different server admin plans, the highest one is $500/M, which still comes out cheaper that RS, and you get the cell phone number of your techy slave which can give you up to 6hrs of support per month, which is more than I will need.

Anybody care to share an opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by hsm
                    I called up ThePlanet.com about the deal on the opterons. Its a good price, so now Im wondering about the difference between Rackspace and theplanet.

TP offer:

P265D
                    Dual Core - Dual Processor AMD 265
                    2048MB RAM (8GB Capacity)
                    2 x 160GB SATA Hard Drives (4 Hard Drive Capacity)
                    2500GB Bandwidth
                    10 IP's
                    100Mbps Port Speed
                    Gold Managed Services
                    Urchin Stat's Package
                    40GB Backup plan
                    Windows 2003 or Redhat ES Operating System
                    IPMI

$359.00/mth, $0.00/setup

RS is more expensive, but the price includes everything such as support for one, which is important since I dont know much about server administration.

TP is cheaper, but offers different server admin plans, the highest one is $500/M, which still comes out cheaper that RS, and you get the cell phone number of your techy slave which can give you up to 6hrs of support per month, which is more than I will need.

Anybody care to share an opinion?
                    It may be worthwhile researching and selecting a third party system administrator. Typically you get more value this way in terms of saving money and knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshs
                      It may be worthwhile researching and selecting a third party system administrator. Typically you get more value this way in terms of saving money and knowledge.
                      Good advice Joshs, Im actually in talks with a local sys admin who lives 10min away from me.

Checking his prices now.

Comment

Hmmm... the sales guy at The Planet told me they do not have SCSI drives.
                        Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
                          Hmmm... the sales guy at The Planet told me they do not have SCSI drives.
                          I don't think that they have it on the AMD Opteron model but they do have it on other models.

Comment

True. But we do want the Opterons.

I spoke with sales again. He said the Opteron with SCSI would be offered very soon.
                            Eat Your Veggies

Comment

It is a good offer. What about raptor drive can't they put those in at tp?

Comment

SCSI is important at the very least for mysql.

It doesn't amtter how fast SATA is, it sitll doesn't have its own processor to do lookups on the drives.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X