X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is our current server:
    Dual 3.06GHz Intel Xeon processors
    6.0 GB RAM
    4x 73GB SCA Ultra160 SCSI disks (in a RAID5 configuration)
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES3
    100 Mbps connection

Would it be appropriate for us to keep this as our web server and get the Opteron server for our DB?

We DON"T need a load balancer? When would we need a load balancer?
    Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
      This is our current server:
      Dual 3.06GHz Intel Xeon processors
      6.0 GB RAM
      4x 73GB SCA Ultra160 SCSI disks (in a RAID5 configuration)
      Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES3
      100 Mbps connection

Would it be appropriate for us to keep this as our web server and get the Opteron server for our DB?

We DON"T need a load balancer? When would we need a load balancer?
      I'd say do not keep it if you are paying $1500 per month for it! I feel that you can get a good web server to support your site for $1000+ less.

A load balancer may be a good choice when you have multiple servers handling the same processes. Since you are splitting the web server and DB functionality across two separate servers, a load balancer would be useless.

Comment

So if we were to get two Opterons - one for our vB and the other for our ads (which uses mysql/php/cgi) and have the third server for the website would that then need a load balancer?
        Last edited by Cynthia; Sat 8 Apr '06, 10:52am.
        Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
          So if we were to get two Opterons - one foe our vB and the other for our ads (ahich uses mysql/php/cgi) and have the third server for the website would that then need a load balancer?
          No, you would not need or want one. If you wanted, for example, two servers for your website then it may be worthwhile looking into it.

Comment

I'm trying to reduce our bandwidth usage while we work out our server decision. Several posts back Zachery advised me to disable GZIP to improve performance since we were having server load issues. I'd like to see what the bandwidth difference is with GZIP enabled. But I checked it out oun leknor.com after enabling and it tells me our site is NOT GZIPed. AdminCP says ZLIB library is required for the GZIP feature. Would that be the problem? How can I find out?
            Last edited by Cynthia; Mon 10 Apr '06, 6:19am.
            Eat Your Veggies

Comment

make sure you test

domain.com/index.php and not just domain.com

You can check in php and look for a comment about zlib.

Comment

Not sure if you saw it or not Cynthia, but I sent you a PM about our services regarding multiple server setups and some of the forums we host with the same kind of setups. Please check it out if you haven't had a chance to and PM me with any questions.
                Greg Swaney
                [email protected]
                NEXCESS.NET Internet Solutions
                http://nexcess.net

Comment

I don't even see a mention of dedicated services or support on your website, and that totally throws me off personally from ordering any dedicated services from you when there are other bigger, much more well know companys who at least advertise that they have dedicated services.

Comment

We don't advertise right now because we aren't actually in the dedicated server market. But we do offer dedicated servers, mostly for our shared clients who've outgrown their shared packages and we host some obnoxiously large, popular websites on multiple dedicated server clusters.
                    Greg Swaney
                    [email protected]
                    NEXCESS.NET Internet Solutions
                    http://nexcess.net

Comment

Check where in php Zachery?

Greg, I received your PM. Thank you. We are staying with Rackspace I believe. If anything changes and we want to consider your offer, I'll be in touch.
                      Eat Your Veggies

Comment

For the gzip compression, check www.domain.com/forums/index.php for some reason the gzip checker won't show if the folder is gziped. but it is.

Comment

You may also consider a round robin dns, would be a little more affordable.
                          http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/79

Joey
                          Real Web Host

Comment

Bump...

Im in the same boat, I need to move to a dual server setup. Coincedently, I was also getting quotes from Rackspace.

Cynthia, if you are here, please update us. I have a quote from Rackspace for $1800 - 12month contract (act now and we will waive the setup fee!)
                            2 X dual opterons
                            1000gb bandwidth

Comment

The current offer from them is for 2 Dual AMD Opteron 246 Processors
                              Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4.0

Server #1
                              6 GB memory
                              73 GB SCA Ultra SCSI Drive X 3

Server #2
                              2 GB memory
                              73 GB SCA Ultra SCSI Drive X 3

1500 GB aggregated bandwidth
                              Raid 5
                              Cisco Pix 506 Firewall
                              25 GB Managed Backup w/2 week retention
                              Legato with MySQL Script Agent backup software
                              2U Chassis
                              5 IP's
                              Daily incremental backup
                              Setup fees waived
                              Fanatical Support
                              Urchin 100 domain license
                              $2898.00
                              Eat Your Veggies

Comment

To me that price seems to high, the company I use for hosting charges $349.00 a month for:

DUAL AMD OPTERON 246 2.0 Ghz 2048MB 120GB SATA RAID/ Free 120GB Backup 2000GB Tranfer..

They have provide pretty good support and they have Firewall pakages from $105 to $300 depending on your needs...

I dont know if I can put their address here but if you PM me I'll be gladd to give it to you... Regards...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X