No announcement yet.

Hosting and Server Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APC is the one I was trying to think of when mentioning eAccelerator. As for it being common, when it comes to optimizing for performance, APC could easily help cache the more commonly used PHP scripts to memory.

Given you are trying to lower the loads and increase performance, I'd have it installed or install it yourself. It's honestly a simple install. If you can edit my.cnf, you can install APC .

As for further optimization, although small, the little things can make a difference, such as:

1). Moving the CSS used for vBulletin to a file. This is an option in the Admin Control Panel. You will need to CHMOD ./clientscript/vbulletin_css to 666 or 777 for it to save, however, but that would take quite a few lines out of the pages being loaded.

2). Ensure GZIP is enabled in the Admin CP. With vBulletin 3.x.x versions, I believe it is a standard, however it's best to check and see that it is set to 1.

3). As said before, ensure search is enabled for members and disabled for guests.

As for the ad script, it would really depend on which one you're using. I know phpAdsNew can be a bit intensive if it is serving quite a few ads. There is an alternative that webhostingtalk uses, however, AdJuggler. You may wish to check that out and see if it may benefit you.

Comment

1, 2, and 3 all done.

We are using Advertising Manager and are generally not happy with it so I may look into something else. I have recently received something from AdJuggler so I'll give them consideration too. Have you any experience with it? Is it less server intensive?

Thanks guys!
      Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Actually, since we are trying to increase preformance, disable gzip.

Comment

Oh!. Okay Zachery I'll do so now. Thanks!!
          Eat Your Veggies

Comment

gzip increases end user speed, but lowers overall preformace (usually not too much, but since we have an issue we want to try to resolve it)

Comment

With George's input we've pretty much resolved ourselves to needing to split our site over two servers. Three was suggested by some but I'm not sure we really need to go with three right now.

What I got from my research at webhostingtalk is that Rackspace just can't be beat for overall service and support. Pricey yes. But most seem to think it is worth it if you can afford it. And we certainly need a managed server setup which some of the other good hosts recommended do not offer.

Here's what Rackspace is offering us for a Dual Opteron:

Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0
              Processor: Dual AMD Opteron 246 Processors
              Memory: 2 GB
              Hard Drive: 73 BG SCA Ultra SCSI Drive X3
              RAID: RAID 5
              Managed Backup: 10 GB Managed Backup 2 Week Retention ($3.50 per 1 GB overage)
              Monthly Bandwidth: 100 GB Included
              Chassis: 2U Chassis
              #of IPs: 1
              ---------------------------------------------------> $950.00 a month
              Port Monitoring: Rackspace Platimun
              Firewall Cisco PIX 506 -----------------------------> $350.00 a month
              Backup Software: Legato with MSSQL Agent - Dual Processor
              Daily Backups: Daily Differentials
              Disbale Auto patching? No

Total cost-------------------------------------------------->$1315.00
              One time installation fee------------------------------------> $600.00

What do you guys think? And do you think this is a server that will be best for our needs? Do I need to request something additional or ask about anything else that I might need to make this a good solution for us? Someone at webhosting talk advised 2 Dual Opteron 275's.
              Last edited by Cynthia; Tue 14 Mar '06, 12:23pm.
              Eat Your Veggies

Comment

This is another server we were presented by 800hosting.com. I'd appreciate input about it (as well as about 800.com) comparing it to our current server.
                • Managed Firewall by SonicWALL: A dedicated, enterprise-class hardware firewall appliance for protection of your servers and data.

• Configured & fully-managed by 1-800-HOSTING for maximum security protection.

• This high-performance firewall, with its System-On-a-Chip Security Processor for 90Mbps Stateful Packet Inspection, will help protect against hack attempts to delete files, steal data, deface content, or malicious use of your servers.

• Includes a built-in 100Mbps 5-port switch to protect multiple servers

• Support for 10 nodes (IPs) and is upgradeable to 25 nodes or unrestricted nodes

• Allows for 6000 concurrent connections

• Secure, encrypted VPN connections with 30+Mbps 3DES and AES throughput

• 5 VPN client sessions upgradeable to 50 VPN client sessions. (Client licenses extra.)

$99/mo. & $0 setup (SAVE $99 normal setup with this two-server order)

Two Fully-Managed Dell Pro400 Servers – each with:

• Dual Intel 3.0GHz XEON CPUs - each with 2MB Cache & 800MHz Front Side Bus
                • 2GB ECC Registered 400Mhz DDR2 PC3200 RAM
                • Dual (2x) 160GB RAID 1 mirrored hard drives
                • 1800GB/mo. of data transfer (Add $.50 for each 1GB extra)

• Free Upgrade to Premium Internet Bandwidth* (a $40/mo. value per server)
                • 1 IP Address included

• Debian Operating System (Add $20/mo. for RedHat ES 3 or 4)

• Plesk Control Panel and Plesk Power Pack with SpamAssassin for up to 30 domains and unlimited emails

• Apache (mod_ssl included)

• ProFTP
                • MySQL
                • SSH
                • BIND
                • Perl
                • PHP
                • CGI-BIN

• Fully Managed Hosting:

• Managed weekly backup service

• Dual hard drives with RAID-1 redundancy

• Secure unused ports

• Maintain security patch updates

• Maintain service pack updates

• Advanced Server & HTTP monitoring service

• Priority response to service requests

• 1 Hour per month of SysAdmin time for client requests to setup domains, user accounts, install software, software configs, updates, etc.

• Free 24x7 LIVE Technical Support via phone (toll-free in US) or email ticket system

• Free server reboots

• Free RTG bandwidth usage stats

• Free DDoS detection & mitigation services
                • 100Mbps Dedicated Port on Cisco Switch

• 100% Network Uptime Guarantee

• 2-Hour Hardware Resolution Guarantee

• $449/mo. & $99 setup or $4490/yr. per server

Total for 2 servers and firewall: $997/mo. & $198 setup or $9970/yr. & $0 setup

* Our Premium Internet Bandwidth by Verio is a high-performance and highly-reliable Tier-1 Internet product that provides for low ping times, fewer hops, and superior speed with bursting to 40+Mbps. And international clients & site visitors enjoy superior speed because of the Verio worldwide peering agreements. We have redundant 1000Mbps GigE fiber connections from Verio which are only 15%-25% average-peak utilized. WE WILL NOT OVER-SUBSCRIBE INTERNET BANDWIDTH!
                Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Whatever you decide on don't pay for a whole year

Comment

We are still with Rackspace at the moment and I am advising our owner to stay with them. However, the price difference is staggering, albeit the server presented not the same as that Rackspace offers.

A monkeywrench into the whole thing - we get 500GB of bandwidth a month with Rackspace. This past month we hit 693GB. They charge $3.50 per GB over your allotment. So we got hit with a $675 bandwidth usage charge for March and our account manager is advising us to purchase additional bandwidth for our account at a cost of about $400 a month to carry us through 1000GB. 800hosting is offering 1800GB at no additional cost.

Can I cry on vB or is that not allowed? I see no crying smilie. This will have to do
                    Eat Your Veggies

Comment

More bandwidth charge news.

It will cost us an additional $750 per month to upgrade to a 1000GB allowance per month.

Is this a common fee for 1000GB?
                      Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Seems high, but from what I read from rackspace they are a good provider.

Most of the server I am in charge of are leased from TP and we get about 2500gb a month (recent increase...)

Of corse, 500 more GB of bandwidth is another 500 USD.. or something crazy, One of our servers is growing to the 250gb mark, might as well just buy another server lol

Try working with them, sometimes hosts can be liek car sales men, you gotta hit low back and see if you can work something out.

Comment

So do you think that a new setup wth two servers and load balancing, we will split the bandwidth usage over the two and avoid this markup? Does that make sense?
                          Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
                            So do you think that a new setup wth two servers and load balancing, we will split the bandwidth usage over the two and avoid this markup? Does that make sense?
                            What makes the most sense is having one server act as the web (HTTP) server and one server (a more beefier one) act as the database server. You will probably want SCSI or Raptors for the hard drives. 4GB+ RAM for the DB server and 2GB+ RAM for the web server. I would highly recommend a dual opteron dual core server for the DB and the Xeon should be fine for the web serving.

Comment

That's what we plan to do Joshs. We're pretty settled on the fact that we need to have a separate server for the DB and that a Dual Opteron would be the best for that purpose.

I want to get another proposal from Rackspace. What more should I specify beyond this:

2x dual opteron 265 dual core servers with SCSI or Raptor harddrives (is one better than another?)
                              DB server - 4 GB of RAM
                              http server - 2 GB of RAM
                              load balancer
                              Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
                                That's what we plan to do Joshs. We're pretty settled on the fact that we need to have a separate server for the DB and that a Dual Opteron would be the best for that purpose.

I want to get another proposal from Rackspace. What more should I specify beyond this:

2x dual opteron 265 dual core servers with SCSI or Raptor harddrives (is one better than another?)
                                DB server - 4 GB of RAM
                                http server - 2 GB of RAM
                                load balancer
                                SCSI is probably a bit better, but if you are stuck with SATA you should get a Raptor. You will not need a load balancer. You probably don't need the dual opteron dual core machine for the web server.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X