Server load question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server load question

I'm thinking of doing dedicated to solve lag issues. I'm not sure what I'm hosted on currently, but its not enough, atleast on shared.

What kind of server would I need to be able to host 1000+ members online at any given time? What would the processor/memory requirements need to be?

with 1000 members, definitely get a dual xeon with min 2 gb ram, but if your your budget is even more, you could get 2 servers both dual xeons and distribute webserver + database load on them to speed things up even further
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

I agree with the dual XEON. Check out cari.net that is where I host my dedicated server. Great prices.

Comment

Dual xeons may not be the anwsers, What sort of stats are you looking at now? Users online avarage? Peak? Posts Per Day, bandwidht you are going though. Cookie timeout.

Comment

Also, what hardware are you on now, and what is the 'load average'? Very important to know before sizing your next system. You should be able to get these stats even on a shared system.
          http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

Comment

Honestly, if you're looking to run 1000+ online at once, a single dual-processor server isn't really going to cut it. For such a setup, you'd need more so a dual-server setup, one for http and one for MySQL.

Having a dual-processor setup with 2-4GB's of RAM in each. As for processors, Opterons are becoming more favorable for forum hosting, however if you are limited to the Intel Xeon route, then 3.0GHz-3.6GHz processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Dual xeons may not be the anwsers, What sort of stats are you looking at now? Users online avarage? Peak? Posts Per Day, bandwidht you are going though. Cookie timeout.
              Currently, its tough to say what our "average" stats are becuase of the rate of growth. We "usually" have between 60-200 people online (depending on the time of day) but are recieving around 50-150 new registrations per day. Bandwidth is between 4-7 gigs per day. I have little knowledge abotu cookie timeout and how that would affect anything. (Documentation?)

We're not having much difficulty with lag at the moment, but I'd estimate that our current shared host isn't going to cut it for long.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X