First Week at Hostgator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Week at Hostgator

Well, I´ve been creating websites since 1998, and I have tried more hosts that I can count, but Hostgator has really impressed me so far. I did a lot of research before selecting a host this time, and it has obviously paid of. The support is fantastic - usually I get a good answer within 5 to 10 minutes and the server is good - quite fast and with lots of space and bandwidth for the money.

what hosting plan are you using through hostgator?

Comment

Swamp > http://hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Comment

Do you host a vBulletin forum at HostGator? If you host a vBulletin forum at HostGator then how many members does your site have? How fast is the forum. Do you get any complaints from members? Does HostGator limit you on the amount of CPU time you can have? Do they limit you or have they limited you in any way besides the amount of space and monthly bandwith?

Comment

1. Yes, I do.
          2. I currently have 1,140 members and 119,356 posts
          3. Very fast
          4. No complains, they are all happy.
          5. Not that I know of.
          6. Not that I know of.

It´s a private forum, but if you send me a PM I will show you the link.

Comment

Is there any limit on MySQL queries (# of people using vBulletin at the same time)? I have heard that you can only have 25 people connected to vBulletin at the same time through HostGator. (unless you have a semi-dedicated or dedicated hosting plan) They might have changed this. I don't know. I was wondering how many members on your vBulletin forum have been online at the same time. (simultanious users)
            Last edited by workplaybiz; Thu 26 Jan '06, 2:27pm.

Comment

Good question since I´m rarely over 10 online users at my board. If I were you I would ask at their forums: http://forums.hostgator.com/

Comment

I read several posts in their forums and I think that there is a limit to the number of simultaneous MYSQL queries. You can't have more than 25 people log in or view another page at the same time. In other words they can't all press the button simultaneously. However in order for this to cause a problem I think that you would need more than 25 people online at the same time. If it causes a problem, the visitor can just press the refresh button and the problem is solved.

Comment

Yeah, but if I had that many online all the time, I would not use shared hosting.

Comment

Concurrent MYSQL connection limits vary amongst hosting providers. Some set low limits (I consider 25 to be low) while others allow 50-60 on a shared server. Then there are some who simply monitor things and unless a particular site is causing problems, all is good.

Give us an update in a few months regarding Hostgator.
                    :cool:

Comment

Sure I will keep everyone posted - so far, no problems at all - I´m very satisfied with Hostgator.

Comment

Hostgator was a nightmare for me heres my story.

Had my forum hosted there, bought the biggest shared hosting they had.

I asked them questions before I switched they seemed very impressive, then the nightmare began.

Without warning Hostgator suspends my account for using too many resources and places my account onto the problem child server which is similar to being in the miserable users status for those familiar with that hack.

So, they tell me I need to upgrade to a semi dedicated to solve the problem, I agreed and we moved the site.

Now keep in mind, my site rarely pulled 1gb per day

Once on the semi dedicated the site was horrible, I sent no less than 20-25 trouble tickets a week and most of the help desk was clueless.

I pulled all 3 of my sites and went to cari.net , who have been the absolute best by far I have ever used and got my own dedicated server for less than hostgator charges for a semi dedicated.

Oh also, they try to still bill you after you close your account with them.

Comment

I´m still very satisfied with Hostgator - no problems at all.

Comment

I use hostgator too - very pleased with them. Much better than godaddy, startlogic, ipower, websitesource, and a few others I can't remember right now.... yes... I go through a lot of hosts! :P Hostgator, for me, has been the best so far.

Comment

Yeah, support and reliability is amazing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X