Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetworkSolutions.com as a hosting option?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NetworkSolutions.com as a hosting option?

    Anyone have any input? Obviously they are strong as a registrar but we are fed up with our yahoo hosting package and want someone who can not only support vbulletin but can offer decent service.
    Have been reading here about a small orange but it seems odd that they don't even list their full packages before you sign up.
    Thanks!

  • #2
    nobody has any info on these guys as a host?

    Comment


    • #3
      What do you mean ASO doesn't list their full packages upon sign up? They list them per need (shared, vps and you can inquire about dedicated).

      Network Solutions is great for domain names (but still over priced, you can get them for under $5 elsewhere). As for hosting, that's not their mainline of business, so you'll have to decide if you would want the brand name of "I'm hosted with NS"; or if you want the best and have the deep pockets to get dedicated Level III support, go here:

      http://www.rackspace.com/index.php

      Most folks can't afford $$$$ a month server bills for one server, so they deal with mom and pop operators instead (and some of them offer good service, and close to Rackspace above).

      Is there a reason you're avoiding ASO?

      Chris
      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
        What do you mean ASO doesn't list their full packages upon sign up? They list them per need (shared, vps and you can inquire about dedicated).

        Network Solutions is great for domain names (but still over priced, you can get them for under $5 elsewhere). As for hosting, that's not their mainline of business, so you'll have to decide if you would want the brand name of "I'm hosted with NS"; or if you want the best and have the deep pockets to get dedicated Level III support, go here:

        http://www.rackspace.com/index.php

        Most folks can't afford $$$$ a month server bills for one server, so they deal with mom and pop operators instead (and some of them offer good service, and close to Rackspace above).

        Is there a reason you're avoiding ASO?

        Chris
        Forget the part about ASO not listing services. IF i'd bothered to look a bit more I'd have seen it.

        I can't afford, nor do I need/want a dedicated server. I have no reason to avoid ASO but after having one host for 6 years who was great, only to get bought out by a big company and in turn become a nightmare, then to switch to another host that is lame..I just want to make sure who I go with this time is a decent hosting solution.
        The only other thing (that might not even be important in my case) is that ASO seems to have very little data transfer and disk space compared to what I'm used to. But again, have never needed what was available in the past so might be a moot point.
        Last edited by socalguy; Thu 24 Nov '05, 11:29am.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by socalguy
          Anyone have any input?
          I wouldn't use it. The last time I looked they sourced out the hosting side to valueweb.com. Our company uses valueweb from Costco. Nothing about it impresses me.

          I'm using www.realwebhost.com and have been pleased.
          I see favorable comments about a small orange.
          Judging by both their websites, it looks like they use the same data center or at least use the same photos.
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by socalguy
            I can't afford, nor do I need/want a dedicated server. I have no reason to avoid ASO but after having one host for 6 years who was great, only to get bought out by a big company and in turn become a nightmare, then to switch to another host that is lame..I just want to make sure who I go with this time is a decent hosting solution.
            The only other thing (that might not even be important in my case) is that ASO seems to have very little data transfer and disk space compared to what I'm used to. But again, have never needed what was available in the past so might be a moot point.
            There's a compromise between space/data transfer and service -- something has to give to pay for each. So is space/data transfer more important, or is service (and I mean more than just answering emails)?

            Chris
            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
              There's a compromise between space/data transfer and service -- something has to give to pay for each. So is space/data transfer more important, or is service (and I mean more than just answering emails)?

              Chris
              I woudl agree, keep in mind the kind of service you are looking for. Find a host that will list not only e-mial addresses and other onlien solutions, but their physical address and telephone number as well. IMO, the more options the company makes available to you as far as support is concerned, the better off you'll be.

              Comment

              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X