Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If hosting at home...how fast does your internet connection have to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If hosting at home...how fast does your internet connection have to be?

I have cable,

Enjoy our fastest residential service available. Modem set-up of up to 6.0 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload.
    Would this be fast enough? I have about....300-400 users when it gets popular (we just crashed and reinstalled)..and we constantly run out of CPU on the host we use.

oh and hmm...1 gig ram, 2800 athlon amd xp+, and 80 gigs harddrive space (i think)

it's windows though...and i would have to learn how to use linux...or is apache stable enough on windows servers?

Comment

First, most home internet services have policies against running servers on your connection. They will cancel your service if a server is detected. Investigate their policies first.

Second, 800kbps isn't a lot of outgoing bandwidth. (A server is going to use more outgoing than incoming, so the 6mbps incoming isn't going to help you.) If you mean 300-400 simultaneous users, you'll be in trouble with only 800kbps. If you mean 300-400 total members, with only a few being on the site at a time, then you'd probably be fine.
      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

simultaneous...it's what caused phpBB to crash alot...I'm new to the whole thing..so I installed some server intensive mods etc

Comment

300-400 simultaneous users + 800kbps connection + single CPU server running windows with web server and mySQL on the same box with only 1gig of RAM = Trouble
          vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

damn...i hate to have to pay so much for hosting

Comment

Quality cheap hosting is available. And remember, you get what you pay for. If you're willing to pay a moderate amount (around $80-100 a year), you'll get lots of web space and bandwidth, and you won't have to worry about your site crashing and what not, since the hosting company takes care of all that.
              Forums

Comment

I recommend against hosting on your home connection for many reasons. Reasons include but are not limited to: limitations imposed by the ToS of your provider, slow upload, possible upload capping, no redundancy for power/data, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by conqsoft
                  First, most home internet services have policies against running servers on your connection. They will cancel your service if a server is detected. Investigate their policies first.

Second, 800kbps isn't a lot of outgoing bandwidth. (A server is going to use more outgoing than incoming, so the 6mbps incoming isn't going to help you.) If you mean 300-400 simultaneous users, you'll be in trouble with only 800kbps. If you mean 300-400 total members, with only a few being on the site at a time, then you'd probably be fine.
                  That is so very true, which I found out the hard way a couple of years ago when I ran phpBB from my PC. The next day they took my connection offline and phoned me up telling my wife to tell me to contact Security Department. I got back online after a quick chat. But boy they simply know somehow thought my broadband connection box what I was doing. Obviously I had no clue at the time, and never bothered again.

Comment

They do port scans to see if servers are running on the standard server ports. (80 for web, 21 for FTP, etc)

Comment

As far as hating paying for hosting. You can get a decent amount of space for as little as £30 for the year, which is nothing really. And should serve your site well until your site gets busy. No point in paying big bucks at the beginning, as sites are very slow to grow unless your both lucky and hit on a good idea that attracts people fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiren

Enjoy our fastest residential service available. Modem set-up of up to 6.0 Mbps download and 800 Kbps upload.
                        LOL, I love your upload rate, man that connection must cost you a fortune unless you come from one of the Swedish countries. That connection would cost about £50 month here.

Comment

Think of it this way

800 kbps up - that means that if you were at a friends house connected to your site on your computer - getting max speed, you could go no faster than 800kbps - which is what, about 100 kilobytes?

So you are on your server, surfing around, now one of your moderators gets on, and you both start loading a page at the same time.

You are now downloading no faster than 50 kilobytes a second.

at 10 people you are at 10 kilobytes a second

at 100 people you are at 1 kilobyte a second - something tells me even those with a slow dial up connection start to notice at this point.

at 400 people you are at maybe 300 bytes a second.

At that point, you actually no longer have a problem - cause they aint coming back.

Comment

You say you don't like to pay for hosting, but with under 1mbit upstream you won't be doing much of hosting to be honest.

Note that with any shared hosting solution you will get 10mbit to 100mbit up/down, comparable against many mbit upstream from your ISP I think you're cheaper off getting a hosting solution.

If you have 100 users online and only 1024kbit upstream, it is easy to calculate how much they can get max per stream if they're online at the same time. Lag is inevitable.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies

Yes..so hosting at home isn't feasible..

The problem is the forum is busy...maybe 200-300 members on at a time during the day, and we overload the CPU quota with the host we have right now. And I don't have the money to buy a dedicated server...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X