Recommendations for non-VDI Hosts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for non-VDI Hosts?

I hate to start another 'best host' thread but the continuing problems with VDI are causing me to consider switching to a host that doesn't use VDI as their NOC.

What are some highly recommended non-VDI hosting companies?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

well hopefully by Apr 24 VDI would be alot better... i'm still happy with them and my visitors and members haven't complained at all.

for non-vdi

i'd recommend

www.site5.com

or

www.weinbar.com
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
      well hopefully by Apr 24 VDI would be alot better... i'm still happy with them and my visitors and members haven't complained at all.
      I don't understand this. My sites are totally unusable at a VDI hosted service provider. I've never seen anything like it in the 6 years I've been online.

I've been virtually offline for days now, and I get dozens of emails a day from concerned members who cannot get to my site. This is not on a high volume site either - I don't get more than 250k hits a month.

I'm extremely frustrated, and shopping for a non VDI hosted provider a well.

The lack of news and status from VDI (or maybe it's just from my host) is also extremely frustating.

-t
      Tim Hewitt
      myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
      myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by thewitt

I don't understand this. My sites are totally unusable at a VDI hosted service provider. I've never seen anything like it in the 6 years I've been online.

I've been virtually offline for days now, and I get dozens of emails a day from concerned members who cannot get to my site. This is not on a high volume site either - I don't get more than 250k hits a month.

I'm extremely frustrated, and shopping for a non VDI hosted provider a well.

The lack of news and status from VDI (or maybe it's just from my host) is also extremely frustating.

-t
        i think the severity depends on the visitor's geographic location..... i must beside a few slowdowns now and again, my sites are running very well - broken new records this week on my forums with over 2,100 new posts/day and 70,000 pageviews/day and my other site is getting 8,000+ unique visitors/day with no problems
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

regarding vdi news, go to www.vdi.net/forums/

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
            regarding vdi news, go to www.vdi.net/forums/
            I've been trying to stay on top of what VDI is doing on that forum. It's been very quiet since they said they were going to go down for 2-3 minutes at a time a few days ago. No clue what's going on now.

My host says it's still a problem at VDI. I don't know how to tell.

-t
            Tim Hewitt
            myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
            myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

It *is* a problem at VDI. The rest of us are suffering with you.

Comment

I've already been 'host-shopping', but I'm still going to hold off until the 24th to see what happens. I can't remember where I picked this up, but if I recall correctly, BurstNet is moving to their own NOC this weekend, which should alleviate some of the strain on VDI's end.

I'm hoping it will, because I'm going nuts here. I used to notice a slowdown just during the day, but now it's constant. I tried at about 1:45am last night, and still couldn't connect to any of my VO sites.

If things don't improve after that, I have no choice but to move on. Unfortunately, I haven't found one host that offers what VO does for that price, and with that kind of support. That's why I'm putting up with it for now, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Until then, does anyone have any prozac or valium they can spare?

Comment

check out:
                  http://www.pcpshosting.com

eDevBoards are hosted through them.... I was hosted through them....and they're non VDI - super fast and have great support...

Comment

Well, I'm with VO and have no problems. 2 weeks ago, after it was announced that there's an IOS upgrade at VDI I had some problems. But now, my site runs well. Ok, the main site sometimes a bit slow but it's probably because the pages are generated dynamically. But te forums are ok.
                    Ueli

Comment

Aletia Hosting is BurstNET-based and provides nice support. I've been with them for over a month now and speeds have been good after the move to the new NOC. You can test my site at: http://www.tupacsource.com/
                      Last edited by RapperNews.com; Sun 6th May '01, 12:40am.

Comment

What does VDI mean?

-Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by roy7
                          What does VDI mean?

-Jonathan
                          VDI is a service provider in the USA (Virtual Development Inc) - http://www.vdi.net/

They have 2 DS3's and 2 OC3's and power about 45% of hosting companies on the internet (maybe more).

People will find that VDI get faster (I never said more stable ) as people move away from them due to all the recent problems

Comment

Ahh, I see. The company I work for normally (www.easynews.com) actually has 5 DS3s and 3 OC3s (from 8 seperate providers), with more OC3s on order. The scary thing is, they use it all for their own needs, not hosting or reselling or anything.

Maybe I'll get lucky enough I can host my stuff there, but we'll see. They really have a nice setup.

-Jonathan

Comment

VenturesOnline.com is moving away from VDI this month..... and I highly highly reccomend them, even with VDI

I believe they are moving into the Verio datacenter
                              Yep Yep

Comment

Working...
                              X