No announcement yet.

When is shared hosting too little . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would recommend VPS solution, a shared environment is not a good option. Try www.powervps.com or www.servint.com
    ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
    ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
    ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
    ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

VPS's are STILL SHARED HOSTING, of which they charge you more for a fancy name.

Comment

Sorry, about that Steve, I just grabbed the links from my Account Manager because I was to lazy to look for them individually since in the Account Manager they're all bunched together

Comment

Im on a shared and using over 60 gig of bandwidth a month. (ASmallOrange.com is my host)

Now I know im way pushing it - and am preparing to go dedicated in the next few weeks, but it is clearly possible. ASO knows how to manage their servers to accomidate large forums, I am not the only large forum on their servers either.

SO yes, it sounds like you need a better host.

Originally posted by Zachery
          Eh, I really don't think 10 gigs of bandwidth is pusing a dedicated host.

Sounds like you just need a better host in general.

To me it sounds like whoever you are with, is illequpied to be server dynamic php/mysql applications to the www.

They seem to be more orinated towards static html.
          vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
          vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
          Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

My VPS hosting isn't anything like shared hosting. I have root access. I can install whatever server software I like, I can compile Apache and PHP however I like as it's not shared. I have a guarantee of a specific allocation of server resources, including CPU, memory and bandwidth and a dedicated IP. No one on the server affects me and I do not affect them. I'm partitioned in my own little world. If I were to have a sudden massive spike in traffic I wouldn't be suspended by the host because I don't affect other VPS's.

Comment

Originally posted by GrrrlRomeo
              My VPS hosting isn't anything like shared hosting. I have root access. I can install whatever server software I like, I can compile Apache and PHP however I like as it's not shared. I have a guarantee of a specific allocation of server resources, including CPU, memory and bandwidth and a dedicated IP. No one on the server affects me and I do not affect them. I'm partitioned in my own little world. If I were to have a sudden massive spike in traffic I wouldn't be suspended by the host because I don't affect other VPS's.
              Thats because it is a private server but is VIRTUAL!
              It is just simulating root access for your alloted space.
              Young Computer Programmers Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GrrrlRomeo
                I were to have a sudden massive spike in traffic I wouldn't be suspended by the host because I don't affect other VPS's.
                Good luck on that.

Comment

AS a general rule, if the site earns X10 more than you pay for the hosting ... switch to a better host. With a site which gets 3,000 visitors a day - I'd move to a semi-dedicated or dedicated, besides the resell value of the site must be pretty high.

The main reason you should consider moving is to get close to 100% uptime.

I decided to move to semi-dedicated when I hit a few thousand members and then 2 dedicated servers when I started hosting media (the site uses about 3TB BW per month) but has virtually no downtime

Comment

Originally posted by YoungCoder
                    Thats because it is a private server but is VIRTUAL!
                    It is just simulating root access for your alloted space.
                    Yes...that's what the V stands for. However, my account is in it's own partition with it's very own filesystem from root on down. So the root access isn't really simulated. I do have root access to my partion and the whole filesystem under it. The server is what's virtual, and it resides in its own partition.

But VPS doesn't seem to mean the same thing to all hosts. I looked at several hosts that were really quite aweful...slow even.

Comment

If you slam the server, or get ddosed, your account is still going to get suspended

Comment

VPS Hosting is about creating multiple "server spaces" within one physical server. Each server space is totally seperate from each other, and performs as if it were its own physical standalone server. VPS hosting is an attractive option for people looking to get the server control offered by a dedicated server at a fraction of the price.

You can basically do anything on a VPS that you are able to do on a dedicated server.
                        ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
                        ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
                        ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
                        ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

Yes, and that means every other user in that space can mess it up badly with a horrid config and tax the server more, than when one person was in control.

I am more than well aware of how VPS works and functions, and of all the people I've worked with with a VPS setup, while I was able to make changes that were nessary, It was incredbily slow. even on the highest best rated accounts.

Comment

Just to follow up here -

I wound up going with a reseller account from 34sp.com - they're UK based, so maybe not suitable for everyone, and they charge for a lot of extras that you might expect to get free - SMTP, extra databases, etc. However, I've been with them (using shared hosting mostly) for about two years and they've been superb, so when I hit problems it was an easy decision to go back.

The site, and a few others, is running fine on a reseller account costing me 15 quid (30 dollars, give or take a few dollars) a month. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Roddy

Comment

Roddy,

I feel your pain. The same EXACT thing just happened to me! My webhost shut my site down without one word of warning whatsoever. Of course I'm a little PO'd about them shutting me down with no heads up. However, I do realize I should have migrated to a dedicated server a while ago.

Good luck with your site in the future & remember...it's just a website. There are a ton of people in this world dealing with a whole lot worse issues then a website being down

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X