Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site5.com -- Incredible!

Hi folks,

I've been posting my review of site5.com's incredible hosting everywhere, but I thought, where better than the vBulletin forums, since I have only really used vBulletin on my site5.com account.

I currently have site5's special offer reseller package * with cpanel / WHM * and I must say, it is well worth every cent. The speeds are great, they have very nice servers, fast connections, I have noticed NO downtime in the 1 month I have been with them.

Their support is to die for, I had a 15 MB vBulletin database that I couldn't import properly * since I am Australia, upload takes too long, times out *, I uploaded the file to my web root, sent an E-Mail to support asking them to do it, 20 minutes later after quickly and easily confirming my identity * giving them the last few digits of the credit card number on the account * they had it done.

I would reccomend site5's hosting solutions to everyone in need of vbulletin hosting, my forums are fast and effective and I believe I have SSH access, not sure though * haven't really had a chance to check it out yet *

Definately reccomend it!
    ( my site hosted with them is http://sgatalk.com )

Thank you for providing your feedback you should continue to evaluate their preformance over the next 2 months and report back again, generally 3-6 months is a good time to gague how well run the company really is.

Comment

I like the forum, i love SGA
      Young Computer Programmers Forum

Comment

I was looking at Site5 too, but i don't really have an active website right now. WH is still sort of under development, not too sure what to do next. But looking into Site5 at a future date

Comment

CMilne - I took your word for it and signed up for their largest plan. I have a 2.5 GB site (and growing) with multiple MySQL DB's and had a hard time finding a host that would host that large a site without going with a dedicated server and offer SSH or telnet access so I can do what I need to do to move the site.

I used your site as my referral, not sure what that get's you, but hopefully something.

Of course if it doesn't work out - I will be blamming you!!! (J/K of course!)

They even offered to move my site from my old host...That should be intersting to say the least, and will give me a credit for my current contract cost!!!

I will post how everything goes.

Comment

The site features at WEBHOST Magazine:
            http://www.webhostmagazine.com/ec/aw...=05&pYear=2005

[+] They allow remote MySQL access, so you can control your database with a tool like MySQL Administrator or Telnet:
            http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/
            Backup/restoration of your database is a bliss, because of this.

[+] CRON jobs are supported (through cPanel).

[-] Very high server load on shared servers, 6,7 or even higher (still, this was an isolated December 2004 issue):
            http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=985
            Could you guys post some results, from your forum admincp panel?

[-] They avoid to give a clear answer related to server connections:
            http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=540
            Most shared solution hosts allow 40 connections at one time.

Let me know if you noticed something else.
            Floren Munteanu
            Axivo Inc.
            Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

[+] They allow remote MySQL access, so you can control your database with a tool like MySQL Administrator or Telnet:
              Not sure if i should that a plus, or a possible security hole.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I'll second Site5! They have been awesome for me.

[-] Very high server load on shared servers, 6,7 or even higher (still, this was an isolated December 2004 issue):
                http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=985
                Could you guys post some results, from your forum admincp panel?
                Never seen them go higher than 1. They went up once of twice when the server had gone down for a few minutes (perhaps some script kiddie was on the server) but ever since they swapped the RAM on my server, it's been just awesome.

Also, their customer service is Par Excellence.
                =)

Comment

Hi Marco,

I thought SSL based remote connections are very secure? Thanks for explaining why I should be worried.

I'm very happy also that the server load issue is a past thing.
                  I'm still not clear why most hosts offer only 40 connections at one time? Is the server loading that much, on a shared option? Please explain guys.
                  Last edited by TECK; Wed 1st Jun '05, 3:16pm.
                  Floren Munteanu
                  Axivo Inc.
                  Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

Originally posted by TECK
                    Hi Marco,

I thought SSL based remote connections are very secure? Thanks for explaining why I should be worried.

I'm very happy also that the server load issue is a past thing.
                    I'm still not clear why most hosts offer only 40 connections at one time? Is the server loading that much, on a shared option? Please explain guys.
                    It would depend on how many websites are on a single server. If they place 200-500 websites on a server, 40 connections per website would add up quite quickly . Of course, there is also the consideration of the RAM, Processor(s) and hard drvies (i.e. SCSI).

Also it would depend on whether they use a seperate server for MySQL. Most hosts do not, though Site5 may, not sure, I've never used them but I've looked into using them many times before using A.S.O.

Comment

Site5 a beauty !

As Zachery knows,or he might have forgotten by now i was having trouble with an american host 4 days in my 30 day trial,they are not vbulletin friendly,say its too resourceful.Anyway i dumped them on day 4.5 and read here another aussie used site5 and was really happy with their service.Well guys heres another one.

I would totally recommend these guys.Its value for money.

Comment

Have any of you have problems using hacks, because of the "php as cgi" issue?
                        I think i´ll switch from Vizaweb, because their support lacks more and more...
                        [HOWTO] integrate any vB site into Opera quicksearch

Comment

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=435445

I don't know much about the hosting but I think that should get a read.

Comment

This is site5's official statement on that issue: http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=4029
                            Last edited by Colin F; Sun 21st Aug '05, 11:13am.
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Which post? Cause i couldn´t find anything.
                              [HOWTO] integrate any vB site into Opera quicksearch

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X