Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first host

Hey there,

I already read the sticky regarding the possible hosting options, but I would like you to voice your oppinion.
    Aren´t those hosts more geared towards large boards (>1000 members or over 1 million posts)? What about small boards?

If I had to pick one (I know 0 about this subject, since I´m gonna install my first board) I would pick rockethost.com or f5hosting.com.
    But isn´t that kind of a "waste"? I mean, maybe someday my board will get the "large forum" status, but not for now. Should I get a cheaper host, or get one of those I mentioned since day 1?

And what features should I pay attention too when choosing a host? Besides the $$$ of course.

Buy small, buy what you need and upgrade as you grow

Comment

I'm using ************.. they had a cheap plan, and I subscribed when I was just using the server to store images and small pages, but now I decided to put up a vBulletin board, and I only have 30 members until now (I just started it a few days ago), and the pages load really slow even when there are only 5 people browsing.

So I dunno, go for small if your boards are new and small, but the speed is still a problem. I dunno how to increase that.

Comment

Seem's like it is a server problem, maybe overloaded. Try contacting them informing them of your problem see what they reply with. It also maybe a local problem have you got the site at hand

Comment

I dunno much about computers really.. I just opened a thread about it in this subforum.

Comment

What should I look for when searching for a good host?
            In the beginning it will be a small board, so how many gigabytes do I need to run it smoothly?

I heard that Lunarpages aren´t optimizied for vbulletin boards. Is this true? Could you advise a nice (and cheap!) host? I already saw dozens but they all seem great.
            Last edited by Pri]M[aL; Sat 30 Apr '05, 10:29am.

Comment

Does anyone have any feedback/experience with asmallorange.com? I might pick this, but I would like to hear your oppinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pri]M[aL
                What should I look for when searching for a good host?
                In the beginning it will be a small board, so how many gigabytes do I need to run it smoothly?

I heard that Lunarpages aren´t optimizied for vbulletin boards. Is this true? Could you advise a nice (and cheap!) host? I already saw dozens but they all seem great.
                Lunarpages kicks off anyone who is running a vBulletin board. You might not want to go there.

Does anyone have any feedback/experience with asmallorange.com? I might pick this, but I would like to hear your oppinions.
                Well, I'm hosted by A Small Orange and I can't think of a bad thing to say.

Comment

See http://helpdesk.lunarpages.com/faq.p...&articleid=259

vBulletin is on their "banned" list of scripts for use on their shared servers on standard service plans
                  Thanks In Advance

John

Comment

Ok guys I will admit, Lunarpages tends to say that about vBulletin, but I do have a vBulletin board on one of their servers it has ran fine for me for over a year now. In fact with the release of vBulletin 3.0.5 I think it was, they even told me to make sure I was patched up to the latest version of vB just to make sure I closed a vulnerablity in vB and php. If you run a small board like I do, for a couple of Gaming Clans, they don't seem to have a major problem with it, I also had it before they made it a "banned script".

Just my two cents on Lunarepages

BTW, here is screenshot of what i can get from lunarpages for server load info
                    Last edited by JhereG; Tue 10 May '05, 2:26pm.

Comment

I would check out:
                      Code:
                      http://robohostingsolutions.com/
                      for hosting. They have reasonable prices and are great if you are a newb like me. They have gone above and beyond what anyone could ever ask, fantastic customer service. I've been with them for a year, can't think of 1 negative thing to say about them. And you will have no problem installing and using vbulletin, and they have cpanel. Check em out.

Comment

www.totalchoicehosting.com is by far the cheapest host I've found thus far. I'm still new at this, however.

Comment

F5hosting. I've been with them for several years and have no complaints.

You do pay a little more for bandwidth, but their support is outstanding and their plans leave you room to grow. Unless you're very technically inclined, it helps to have someone like Michael to help you out when you break things.

Comment

you should try ServerTweak, its what i use
                            www.servertweak.com

Comment

So many options...but I´ll probably stick with asmallorange.com since it has a good reputation.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X