Comment

Originally posted by Joseph777
      I am looking for a good webhost:

- good uptime
      - good customer service
      - telnet / ssh access
      - linux shared plan

Any suggestions?
      THESE are my needs. And two of the main ones are "good uptime" and "good customer service". Which begs the question, how would I know? That is why I am asking here...

Until recently I was with Data393, but they do not support telnet/ssh, so I need to move on. I am looking for a good host that people here would feel comfortable recommending...
      Last edited by Joseph777; Thu 21 Apr '05, 3:10am.

Comment

For what it is worth, I would reccomend GoDaddy.com for hosting. So far I haven't had any problems with them ..... and their customer Support is top notch ... they walked me through just about everything on my first website, and they still don't treat me like an idiot when there is something I dont understand.

Comment

Originally posted by southernImportz
          For what it is worth, I would reccomend GoDaddy.com for hosting. So far I haven't had any problems with them ..... and their customer Support is top notch ... they walked me through just about everything on my first website, and they still don't treat me like an idiot when there is something I dont understand.
          Good god no. Search for godaddy and hosting and you will have your anwser.

THESE are my needs. And two of the main ones are "good uptime" and "good customer service". Which begs the question, how would I know? That is why I am asking here...

Until recently I was with Data393, but they do not support telnet/ssh, so I need to move on. I am looking for a good host that people here would feel comfortable recommending...
          What I mean is go shop around, look for hosting companies, look at 5-6 and see what they offer, compare them. Then come back here and say well I like these, what do you guys think

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            Good god no. Search for godaddy and hosting and you will have your anwser.
            As another satisfied GoDaddy customer, Zachery, I think you should re-evaluate your position.

Yes, if you go with GoDaddy's cheapeasy plan, you won't be satisfied.

But their 2nd level hosted option at $9.95 on up supports http://www.pilotsofamerica.com quite well, and they do offer virtual server accounts where you have ssh access and control over the environment starting at $50 a month. (I'm making plans now to upgrade in a month or so, in fact, and staying with them.)

And I've seen some of your statements about who owns their hosting hardware and runs their stuff. They say otherwise. So I say to you, prove it.

Your continuous bashing remarks about GoDaddy strike me as unprofessional, and undeserved.

I've had nothing but satisfactory service from GoDaddy and suggest that the OP you call them and see what their customer service is like.

Comment

And I say again - my personal experience with GoDaddy has been extremely satisfactory.

None of those links appear to prove the claim about sub-contracting. Can you provide a more solid link?

One of them has to do with how GoDaddy advertises and isn't tied to customer service. To that particular link I say, so?

Some of them do actually offer testimonials of bad experiences - and I'm sure the customers have their reasons for their beefs - you can find similar testimonials by searching the web for Disney, McDonalds, and I'm sure if you looked, you could find some for vBulletin too.

But nevertheless, I have had a very good experience with GoDaddy and have found no reason to consider changing. As someone who is particularly happy with both vBulletin and GoDaddy, it bothers me to hear one bashing the other.

Enough said - I dont work for em and I dont really need to defend them. I'd be careful about how you say what you say tho... you're an official rep of vBulletin - and libel laws do extend to the internet. You're building a case for GoDaddy with some of your posts should they ever really take offense...

Comment

When and If that day ever comes I'll defend my position.

I've worked with quite a few people now who are hosted on godaddy who have ALOT of issues with not only vBulletin, but other software as well.

They will work great for a stock html site, but like alot of the other LARGE hosts, they disable features for "security" and won't allow a proper enviroment.

I am glad that you are doing well with them and I hope it continues that way.

Comment

Originally posted by chaeberle
                  As another satisfied GoDaddy customer, Zachery, I think you should re-evaluate your position.

Yes, if you go with GoDaddy's cheapeasy plan, you won't be satisfied.
                  And that's the issue. We have many customers that can't get vB to run on GoDaddy servers, presumably because they are using this plan. The problem in each of these cases has been because GoDaddy purposely cripples many PHP functions to vB uses.

It's good to know they have added a plan that actually works. Are you running vB on their 2nd level hosted option? If so, please let us know what that plan is called so when we run into this again (which we will) we will be able to tell customers to change to this plan.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by chaeberle
                    Enough said - I dont work for em and I dont really need to defend them. I'd be careful about how you say what you say tho... you're an official rep of vBulletin - and libel laws do extend to the internet. You're building a case for GoDaddy with some of your posts should they ever really take offense...
                    Libel laws? He works for vBulletin and they have a job to run this software. If a host's plan doesn't work, they have no choice but to recommend another host to make vBulletin work, and give reasons why to move so the customer can understand why vBulletin won't work on that server. That's not "libel".

One thing about the hosting industry that's giving it a black eye is referrals. We'll have folks "highly recommend" people to hosts because they'll get a bonus (free webspace or cash) for bringing new customers in. So folks go and sign up at XYZ host as they get good "reviews" at sites, to only find it's nothing like the others claim. What's frustrating to customers is they have to pick up and move again. After awhile they refuse to take the warnings/suggestions all together -- which hurts the industry yet again (especially when they try to warn on things like "unlimited bandwidth").

Chris
                    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                      What I mean is go shop around, look for hosting companies, look at 5-6 and see what they offer, compare them. Then come back here and say well I like these, what do you guys think
                      I know Zach. But it's just so much easier for you to tell me what to do. That requires no thinking or effort. (j/k)

When I first started my forums (which are currently cancelled), I researched from this site (a lot of searching), I came up with Ventures Online as being the best as far as raw votes. I contacted them and found out they had been purchased. I opened an account through Data393 (the new owner). I was very happy with Data393 once I chose them. Very professional. Very timely. Great uptime. Great customer service. We clashed a few times, but that was mainly because the technical staff had a hard time relating to an idiot like me. I was at about $30.00/month for a good shared plan. I think 40 gigs. I would be happy to find something similar now (but with SSH or telnet) so i can back up reliably.

Still really looking for suggestions from people... so if you have any, by all means...

Thanks...

Comment

Am I going to have a hard time finding webhosts who support telnet/ssh on a shared hosting plan? Are they out there?

Comment

Yes, but they may not advertise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph777
                            Am I going to have a hard time finding webhosts who support telnet/ssh on a shared hosting plan? Are they out there?
                            Usually if they do offer it it'll be only SSH, then they'll charge $10 or more a month for the access. And not before they verify who you say you are.

The price gets up there, so a VPS or dedicated is a better alternative if you want root access.

Chris
                            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X