Anybody ever use Godaddy.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever use Godaddy.com?

I just emailed them today inquiring about whether or not they allow vBulletin to be hosted on their servers. Here is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting customer support. You would be able to host vBulletin on our Deluxe or Premium Hosting packages. We currently do not restrict the use of vBulletin on our hosting servers."

Does anybody have any experience with these gusy or any horror stories?

Thanks,

Pei Pei

I've seen LOTS of problems with PHP based applications on GoDaddy servers. Personally my advice would be to find a real web hosting company.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry for the question.

I was so wound up over the search functionf or members that I forgot about the search function for posts.

According to the posts I read, Godaddy turns off a lot of the vB's features.

Has anybody been able to have them turn back on certain php functions?

Comment

I do not think that would be possible, because you do not have access to the server configuration files. Try asmallorange.com they are one of the best hosting companies around.

Comment

I use them to run my main site, now i am so sad, been reading and it dont seem they can handle vbulletin.

not only i cant up load vbulletin, now i found out my host is no good

Comment

Not so sure......

I had ask Godaddy whether vBulletin could be hosted in their Economy or Deluxe plan. It couldn't be hosted in Economy.

From reading a horror story:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127875

The author was using the Economy plan, thus all of vBulletins php funcitons were not executable. His problem seems to have sorta of resolved itself after upgrading to the Deluxe plan.

Does anybody else currently use Godaddy or have any other experience with them? I use them for static hosting. which I'll admit it is hard to screw up, and have never had any trouble.

Pei Pei

Comment

I've heard many problems with GoDaddy and PHP functions in general (not just vB) I recommend going with a real web host instead of a domain registrar I recommend HostGator (http://www.hostgator.com)

Comment

By all means, please feel free to ignore my recommendation to avoid GoDaddy and find a real web host instead.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

With over 54,000 posts......

I don't think so! I will take your word for it.

Pei Pei

Comment

Originally posted by xmitchx
                    I've heard many problems with GoDaddy and PHP functions in general (not just vB) I recommend going with a real web host instead of a domain registrar I recommend HostGator (http://www.hostgator.com)

Could you provide some examples of large vB sites (many users and thread/posts) hosted with www.hostgator.com ?? I think it would be useful to see how fast the hostgators sites are compared to our dedicated platform.

Thanks!

Neo

Comment

You may want to look at:
                      http://www.hosting-review.com/top10list.htm

And / or do a search for web host reviews.

Comment

goDaddy promised me 200GB/month of traffic, but couldn't deliver. Under heavy loads, their equipment was unable to provide the necessary bandwidth to deliver. I had to move my hosting someplace else.
                        Kevlar
                        Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Comment

Sorry to hear they couldn't deliver.

Does anybody know a good hosting company that makes it easy for you to leave once you out grow them (or have to upgrade to a server)?

Comment

Again, hostgator is very courteous if you feel you need to leave. If you are dissappointed in their service, they like to hear about it and usually improve. If you outgrow your current plan, they tell you about their upgraded plans or if you're big enough, their dedicated servers.

Comment

My site http://www.vietlyso.com use hostgator.com.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X