Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vbulletin on a ServInt VPS Solution - How about Performance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on the servint ultimate VPS with cpanel, I have a 12,000 member forum, and an average of 250 - 300 members online with a 1200 cookie timeout. with approx 1500 posts a day. 10,000 visits a day.

I must give props to servint, they handled my heavy traffic very well, I get plugged on the radio most every day (which causes huge traffic bursts) and servint has handled it pretty good.

I recommend them if you have less traffic than me.

I'm now in the process of going dedicated with 15minuteservers.com (NAC.net owned)

My site keeps getting bigger and when a steady 8 hour stream of 600-800 users (on the 1200 cookie timeout) happened yesterday, the VPS couldnt handle it. Although it tried! I was hitting server loads of 34! and the site was crashing but coming back up, then crashing again. I outgrew the VPS But I definitly recommend it to boards smaller than mine.

NOC is great Has responded to my one email I ever had to send them in 10 minutes and helped me out on the 24 hour phone a few times.

I cant afford their dedicated so thats the only reason I'm leaving. If I didnt outgrow them, I'd definitly stay.
    Last edited by Stingraynyc; Sat 23rd Apr '05, 3:33pm.

Comment

I use ServInt also and I just upgrade my package to the Signature and well, I have had nothing but issues since I did so. I upgraded because my site was moving slow. My forum has anywhere from 60-80 people on it during the day and my main site always has people on it. I seriously have no idea what to do.

Comment

Dedicated or colocate. That is what you need to do. I like ServInt but it is so much nicer colocating in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by eSology
          Dedicated or colocate. That is what you need to do. I like ServInt but it is so much nicer colocating in my opinion.
          I'm not a server guy so could ya break it down for me lol.

Comment

You need to transition away from shared or VPS servers so that you are running your site from your own machine or one that you rent. I have no other sites on the server my vBulletin forum is on.

Comment

Everything is fine with them...but their statistic trackings arent acurate. There have been times where I have 0 hits tracked for days at a time. Also I emailed them regarding it and they said this

"we have changed the setting on the load that stas should run to a higher
              number. Please let us know if you notice stats not running again."

Comment

Well, I upgraded to Ultimate with them and it looks like I just outgrew them.

Comment

Originally posted by mheinemann View Post
                  My site is currently hosted with ServInt, although my forums aren't that busy.
                  One thing you might want to know is that the GD Library isn't installed by default there, so you could install it yourself or have the NOC do it. I asked them to do it and they had it done in less than 15 minutes.
                  what does NOC stand for?

and how good is servint?

does the 50 dollar plan have enough space for like 100 members at a time and is it good for like alot of posting like.. over a million and stuff?? or na??
                  real name no gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by eSology View Post
                    You need to transition away from shared or VPS servers so that you are running your site from your own machine or one that you rent. I have no other sites on the server my vBulletin forum is on.
                    isnt that expensive though??
                    real name no gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by David Lama View Post
                      what does NOC stand for?

and how good is servint?

does the 50 dollar plan have enough space for like 100 members at a time and is it good for like alot of posting like.. over a million and stuff?? or na??
                      http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...&q=what+is+noc

Comment

Originally posted by David Lama View Post
                        what does NOC stand for?

and how good is servint?

You only have 256MB of RAM with this $49, I highly doubt your going to be able to have 100 users online, especially if you are having a control panel, bare in mind cPanel requires 256MB of RAM to run successfully, 128MB at least.

You could try but I would go for 384MB at least and 512MB recommended, but for 512MB you can get a dedicated server which will be more suited. http://www.layeredtech.com is a unmanaged server provider and you can source full management from another provider for around $30 monthly. If you have around $130 per month you can pick up a dedicated server fully managed with control panel. Check out their forums for special offers in the announcements section.

You can also go this way: http://www.servstra.com resell layeredtech servers fully managed, they will guide you and help with running your server. Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB Drive, CentOS operating system, 10Mbit uplink, cPanel control panel, Databank datacenter $129 monthly.

I would avoid semprom and celeron servers. Pentium 4, barton and amd 64 plus will benefit you.

Comment

thats well out of my price range though

I was loving the 50 dollar plan with servint cause 600 a year is good for my pocket

anything more would hurt me.

at the most I could go 800 or so a year.

I really wanna go with servint because of what I hear about their customer support

can someone explain to me why Ram matters so much with VPS.

shared servers dont even mention how much ram they give you, so why does it matter with VPS? Im lost
                          real name no gimmicks.

Comment

Shared usually do not set CPU, RAM usage just like with your computer the more RAM (memory) the better performance. VPS is sort of like a dedicated server but you are more limited with CPU and RAM, if your control panel is using 128MB you only have 128MB to play with and that really it not much.

You will be receiving many errors, such as "out of memory" and the pages will not load, VPS will crash after so long with no memory.

I really do not like VPS's too much you may be better with a semi-dedicated, It is just liked shared but you are less limited then shared. MORE CPU, Memory usage and you could pick up something decent for $50 per month. You will not have access to the server like you do with a VPS.

I mean if you really want to try a VPS go for it and see how it works out you can always move later on if it does not turn out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X