Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you finance your dedicated servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you finance your dedicated servers?

This may be a personal question, but I am curious....

I host websites because I enjoy doing so. I also pay for them out of my own pocket. I'm just curious if you people with dedicated servers find financing elsewhere than your own pocketlint. hehe, pocketlint, thats all I seem to be left with.

Hi ya

I am like you too - I host my own dedicated server out of my own pocket and don't charge people for the hosting.

Then because most of my sites were gaming league sites, a company called GAMEPLAY (www.gameplay.com) came along and offered to fund it all

So that is what happens now - they pay for the server and I admin it

--James

Comment

Wow, no wonder your smiling.

Comment

Hey I checked out your flight Sims, and seen a game named Air Attack. Never hearing of it before I downloaded it, its actually the first version of FIghter Ace!!!

Comment

lol, AA is cool, hard tho

Comment

Mine definetly comes out of my own pocket. I do it for fun.
            Off-Road Forum

Comment

By far most of it comes out of my own pocket, but I try to raise donations as well. I raised 6400 in 18 months, to pay for a new server. I really dislike requesting money from my members, but I like adds even less. So I don't run adds on my site.

Still funding remains an issue, as my site grows fast and so do the monthly costs.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                By far most of it comes out of my own pocket, but I try to raise donations as well. I raised 6400 in 18 months, to pay for a new server. I really dislike requesting money from my members, but I like adds even less. So I don't run adds on my site.

Still funding remains an issue, as my site grows fast and so do the monthly costs.

I would ask yourself how big would you like your forums to grow? or how long would you like your forums to last?

and then balance your answers with the answer to how much do I dislike advertising?

If I were you, depending on the nature of your forum I would accept advertising if it meant keeping your board alive.

I personally too dislike advertising but would dislike asking for donations even more.
                regards
                alan

Comment

VPS funded by advertising. We want this place to be around, so the notion of starting paid advertising was started for us earlier this year, as costs only increase as you grow, and we don't want to risk our community.

Comment

Originally posted by alan-AM View Post
                    I would ask yourself how big would you like your forums to grow? or how long would you like your forums to last?

and then balance your answers with the answer to how much do I dislike advertising?

If I were you, depending on the nature of your forum I would accept advertising if it meant keeping your board alive.

I personally too dislike advertising but would dislike asking for donations even more.
                    regards
                    alan
                    Forums grow faster without advertising, but indeed when a forums grows so much that the costs become unbearable that would mean the end of it.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

Google adsense and kontera help my fiance my dedicated server.
                      Virtual pet forum

Comment

Google adsense and local sponsors.

Comment

Our server, firewall and backup cost adout 12,000 year and the costs come out of our club funds as it is a service for the members. We also get most of our new members after they find our web site and forum.

We have someone who manages the advertising and it brings in about 4000 a year at the moment and helps to offset the running costs.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Tigurius View Post
                            Google adsense and local sponsors.
                            How much do the local sponsors pay?
                            Virtual pet forum

Comment

We use Google adsense as well as the vBulletin paid subscriptions feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X