Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Needed & Backups

Hi There

I am looking for a host which will host a forum for us. Needs to be UK based. Also how do we backup the forum every week when it is online and how can we restore it if we need to

Thanks

Chris

Before this is possible you first need to have a vBulletin license If you already have one, please goto the members area and click on the link priority support. Fill in the form your email address which you registered with on these forum so you show up licensed.

On-topic: You want to make backups, and have the ability to restore them. I think you should look for a hosting package that comes with shell access for the best / secure results.

Comment

Hi There

We are thinking of buying VBulletin this afternoon. Do i need to have shell access to backup or can it be done without it and is there any other software i need to backup. My host does not have Shell Access

Chris

Originally posted by Floris
      Before this is possible you first need to have a vBulletin license If you already have one, please goto the members area and click on the link priority support. Fill in the form your email address which you registered with on these forum so you show up licensed.

On-topic: You want to make backups, and have the ability to restore them. I think you should look for a hosting package that comes with shell access for the best / secure results.

Comment

Hello again,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software, you can make backups without shell access.

vBulletin offers an options through the browser (admin control panel > backup database) but you are limited to the settings of apache, php and mysql. With limits I mean the timeout settings and filesize settings.

We also offer a .sh shell script you can upload and run using the cron feature from the web server. (linux/unix based only)

Additionally most providers offer a direct dump of the database through their control panel.

But, only the host provider will have a feature to restore the database. Through their control panel, through shell or by asking them to import the uploaded .sql dump. vBulletin doesn't offer that feature.

In the beginning backing up through the browser will do just fine for the size, but once you reach above 100mb, some sites begin to experience difficulties backing up due to those limitations. Very active sites will almost become impossible to backup (500mb and higher). Which is why shell backup if preferred.

You can check the documentation on our online manual to see how to make manual backups and restorations of database files through browsers and shells : http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html

Comment

Hi There

My Hosting company has said they can give me shell access but he has also said that he can put a script into the server to backup the forum database then all i need to do is to take the backup file via ftp to my pc to backup onto cd once a week or somthing. which way would be easy as i dont know much about shell or setting up a backup programe. If i get my host to do what they said they will do. will i get a backup file which i will be able to store and will it work.

PS: Placed my order for vbulletin but not got any details to download yet. only got a confirm from world pay

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for purchasing vBulletin, once the payment has been screened and cleared and completed in our system, you will receive an email with the download instructions. If you want a status update, please contact [email protected] (and please refer to this thread).

On-topic: vBulletin comes with a backup shell script which you can add to the cron (I believe this is also what your host company is suggesting). This is also a good alternative.

Comment

Hi Floris

I will check my works email over the next few days to see if i have had any emails from vbulletin.

I am sorry about all the questions but i am geting very confusd into what i need to do to setup a back. What do i need to tell my host to do and what do i need to do. also whats the 'cron'

my host has justed talked to me to help me setup a database on there server so all i need to do now is to get vbulletin installed.

Thanks

Chris

Originally posted by Floris
              Hi there,

Thank you for purchasing vBulletin, once the payment has been screened and cleared and completed in our system, you will receive an email with the download instructions. If you want a status update, please contact [email protected] (and please refer to this thread).

On-topic: vBulletin comes with a backup shell script which you can add to the cron (I believe this is also what your host company is suggesting). This is also a good alternative.

Comment

Hi There

I have sent an email today asking for an update into wheni will be sent details of my account and software. Still no email back yet.

Also any tips for me when i install and setup vbulletin on my web server

Thanks
                Chris

Comment

Do you have the unique ticket number so I could open the support ticket and look into this?

Comment

I only have an email, which I got from vbulletin. On that email it says that I have to wait for the checking process before I get the software and there is also an order number on that email which relates to my purchase.

Also sent email to the sales and support email address of vbulletin.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on please? I have now been waiting 5 days nearly.

Thanks

Chris B

Comment

What is the order number? Which payment method did you choose?

It would be easier to handle this if you wrote [email protected] with all the relevant info.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi There

I have filled out the sales support form with my order number and details

Chris

Comment

What is the issueid (from the automated email you received)?
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi There

I have already sent the order id to the sales support page and I am still waiting for my replay. You will have to wait again for me to get the order id from my office on wed morning. Also having a meeting with my MD regarding this matter about the forum software.

Thanks

Chris B

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X