• Show
Clear All

• Host Rocket vs CWIHosting

they have very similar services for similar prices on Linux hosting

HR: http://hostrocket.com/v2/body_hosting_plans.html
    and
    CWI: http://www.cwihosting.com/services.htm

any experiences with either of these?

i'd choose hostrocket rather than cwihosting - check www.webhostingtalk.com and search for both hosts you'll find alot of negative comments on cwihosting

note: i have not used either of these hosts personally
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

You Rock!

Thanks eva2000!!!!

reading some of the bad comments about CWI now on that site- sounds like you just saved me a lot of grief

Comment

Don't u even dream about CWI, my site's been down for a record 8 STRAIGHT days, including today, it's STILL down, I'm switching myself to Venturesonline, they've gotten only praises, no complaints whatsoever
        So get it? CWI SUCKS D**K, and now I have a mission statement in life: Make sure CWI DIES.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
          Don't u even dream about CWI, my site's been down for a record 8 STRAIGHT days, including today, it's STILL down, I'm switching myself to Venturesonline, they've gotten only praises, no complaints whatsoever
          So get it? CWI SUCKS D**K, and now I have a mission statement in life: Make sure CWI DIES.
          Well, I went with CWI and after 2 weeks my site STILL wasn't up. I'd call and call but never got through (they said they were having phone problems...for 2 WEEKS???). I run 3 websites and I have never experienced the problems I had with CWI.

So I canceled with them and went with HostRocket. HR had my site up in 5 minutes! I had my VBulletin up and running in under an hour!

HostRocket I LOVE YOU!!!
          Last edited by maniello; Thu 15 Mar '01, 9:18am.

Comment

Can't explain quite how bad CWI are - realy do STAY AWAY from them and save yourself loads of grief. If you want to see what I mean - goto http://www.migubb.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
            Mike Warner
            MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

We have been with CWI before we moved to HostRocket!

We only had one problem with Hostrocket, and that was that the server crashed totally, but they had a replacment running very quick and gave 2 months credit!

Well, about the problems with CWI I could write you so much that the maximum allowed letters for posts run out! :laugh:

Anyway, OK, they have their servers in the probably best server center (rackspace.com), BUT (and this is a big BUT) they don't have a clue how to administrate a server!
              Also they overload their servers massively!
              On the server we were on they even had a /home2/ folder, so many accounts they had on!
              You can imagine the performance!
              Was worse than poor!
              The uptime was really bad!
              Also a lot of PHP function were missing (e.g. ZLIB)!
              Well, their support was really good - THE FIRST 2 WEEKS!
              After that they didn't care anymore!
              As we first installed vB, we had pconnect turned on.
              They meant it was too much db connections and suspended the account - without giving a warning or a hint that there is a problem!
              I mailed them immediatly and gave them a solution how to fix that (just connect instead of pconnect) and they waited a few days until they replied!
              It also took the same time until they opened the account again!
              After that a lot of things didn't work anymore, the bandwidth display, the stats, and so on! It was never fixed, although I wrote them thousands of mails and support tickets!
              Also they have very bad NS servers!
              The domain name was unresolved very often! (and my ISP has very good DNS servers, so that wasn't the problem)
              The same problems was with the subdomains, sometimes they worked, sometimes not!
              And so on, and so on...

Anyway, Hostrocket is good!
              Fast servers, also stable!
              When they have to reboot a server they write an announcment in their forums!
              Thea also answer support tickets very quick and the admins are very often in the chatroom! They also use ICQ where you can reach them!
              The new server (and when you sign up you come to such a host) have the latest versions of PHP, MySQL, Apache, and so on.
              The download and upload speed is very good (I can use my complete DSL bandwidth when I upload or download something)!

So if you have to decide between CWI and Hostrcoket, HR wins 100:0
              The Knowledge Emporium

The Knowledge Emporium Forums

Wonderful World Of Freeware

Comment

Well, I also only can tell to stay away from CWI. Had many problems with them. They cancelled my account without notification. Told me to set up a new one so I may have my data back...
                I did that but after 2 days not getting access I changed to venturesonline and cancelled my account (30 day money back...). However, I got a charge to my credit card. Took me 3 weeks to convince them to not charging. They said that I have to tell domain name, username last 4 digits of Credit Card number, IP and password. Well, how could I when I never got those...
                They even called me when I told my bank to do a charge back...
                Ueli

Comment

Strongly recommending hostrocket...

try asking on forums such as pchelptalk.com etc
                  Forex Trading

Comment

soon as i moved to host rocket they complained about resource usage even though i had the identical setup on 2 previous hosts and they never once complained

dont recommend host rocket at all

Comment

I'm not really familiar with CWIHosting but I've heard plenty about HostRocket. Using to much server resources seems to be a common complaint.
                      :cool:

Comment

Hostrocket is a great host all in all, but I have just cancelled an account with them. I have been running a vB with not so huge popularity (like 100 average posts per day, around 30-40 users on the board at any given time etc.) and HR told me that my forum uses too much server resources and offered to move from shared hosting to semi-dedicated account which is $65 per month and reaaly to much for this kind of board from my point of view. So, in my opinion HR offers very good thing for the price, but if you are looking for a shared hosting to run a vB board - look somewhere else. At the same time, if you feel you can pay for semi-dedicated - HR is definitely way to go, their offers are very good and they have a rather helpful and quick support.
                        Boris Lifanovsky; administrator of the biggest Russian classical music forum

Lifanovsky.com | ForumKlassika.Ru

Comment

This was such a long time ago that I can even remember who CWI are!?!

PS. I think the thread starter may have found a host by now - check the dates!
                          Mike Warner
                          MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

Its more about HostRocket that about CWI by now.
                            Boris Lifanovsky; administrator of the biggest Russian classical music forum

Lifanovsky.com | ForumKlassika.Ru

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X