Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed up with horrible hosts that are always down?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fed up with horrible hosts that are always down?

    Are you tired of bad hosts that are always down and when they are up they are slow? I was too. After bouncing my site around to 3 different hosts I got fed up with it and signed up for a dedicated server at http://www.ev1servers.net/

    After seeing how hosting should be, I will never sign up for shared hosting again. This place is AWESOME!!!! I can't praise them enough, in every aspect they perform above and beyond my expectations. Their customer service is always ready to help, with little or no wait - the download speeds from the server are some of the fastest I've seen - and I've had almost no problems at all in the past 4 or 5 months I've been with them, even though I have never used ensim or linux before.

    I host 1 instance of vbulletin and a handful of small project sites of my own and the server doesn't miss a beat. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this service and I strongly recommend ev1servers to anyone who is fed up with crappy shared hosting.

    -Charlie
    http://www.wave5host.com - I host smaller sites on my dedicated server. Great up-time and fast connection + the best 1 on 1 customer service anywhere.

  • #2
    I've heard nothing but bad comments regarding them.

    By the way, I'm on a shared host and I love it, my host's servers are fast, support is great, server load is rarely above 1.00 while the server I'm on is considered full, and if my site is taking too many server resources, they will move me to a faster server.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you are running your own server with no Linux experience then you can expect a LOT more downtime on your own server than what you could expect hosting your site elsewhere. Also; Just because your download speeds may be slow, doesn't mean the server itself is slow. It could be a number of things, many of which are not the hosts' fault.
      EV1Servers are 100% unmanaged servers, they even claim that and want people to know that. Meaning that you have to manage your server yourself.
      That is assuming that you have your own dedicated server with them and not one of their rubbish shared hosting plans that have awful control panels.

      Comment


      • #4
        just out of interest charlie, what server specs have you? I'm looking at getting a dedicated at the mo for much the same reason... I've just been moved to a faster server with my hosts but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get given the boot, so I'm trying to get all the knowledge together then I'm ready for when the time comes!
        Accrington
        Land Rover Forum
        PLC Forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by accyroy
          just out of interest charlie, what server specs have you? I'm looking at getting a dedicated at the mo for much the same reason... I've just been moved to a faster server with my hosts but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get given the boot, so I'm trying to get all the knowledge together then I'm ready for when the time comes!
          My webhost gives quality service, why don't you check it out:

          http://www.asmallorange.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            EV1 is pretty good, I used to use them and the experience was mostly a good one.
            I currently have a bunch of servers at Servermatrix, so for those looking for deidicated servers, I reccomend giving them a look as well. www.servermatrix.com
            Glenn


            Originally posted by charlieaf92
            Are you tired of bad hosts that are always down and when they are up they are slow? I was too. After bouncing my site around to 3 different hosts I got fed up with it and signed up for a dedicated server at http://www.ev1servers.net/

            After seeing how hosting should be, I will never sign up for shared hosting again. This place is AWESOME!!!! I can't praise them enough, in every aspect they perform above and beyond my expectations. Their customer service is always ready to help, with little or no wait - the download speeds from the server are some of the fastest I've seen - and I've had almost no problems at all in the past 4 or 5 months I've been with them, even though I have never used ensim or linux before.

            I host 1 instance of vbulletin and a handful of small project sites of my own and the server doesn't miss a beat. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this service and I strongly recommend ev1servers to anyone who is fed up with crappy shared hosting.

            -Charlie

            Comment


            • #7
              We got rid of pretty much all of our dedicated servers at EV1. Truth was that other providers had better offers, support, etc. A majority of our servers are now located at ServerMatrix.
              ...

              Comment


              • #8
                I was also with EV1 and had very poor reliability. I got sick of the downtime and poor tech support. EV1 is one of the worst Hosting Companies I have ever been with.

                If you are having success with them I am happy for you!

                Comment


                • #9
                  My server is the 1.3 ghz celeron with 512mb of ram and a 60gb hd. It is the cheapest package that they have and is $99 / month.

                  As far as people having bad experiences. I have heard that but very rarely has anyone actually said it from personal experience, mostly it seems like a rumor.

                  As far as reliability - I have had a server with them for about 5 months and it has never been down. There has been about 3 times where the server froze and I had to put in a restart request (which takes about 5 minutes for them to execute), but other than that the server has not missed a beat for the 5 months I've had it.

                  Their customer support is fantastic, I was hesitant at first due to their unmanaged server policy, but they actually help out a lot. They have 24/7 tech chat that is always happy to answer questions (even the stupid questions) and they have toll free phone support as well.

                  When I got my server I had no linux experience and so far it hasn't been a problem. The support staff is always helpful. Trouble tickets are usually responded to in under an hour as well.

                  If you have a shared hosting plan that is reliable and fast that is great. However, I was unable to find one for my vbulletin site that is reliable and fast for under $50/month. Most places were down several times a week for an hour or more at a time.

                  -Charlie
                  http://www.wave5host.com - I host smaller sites on my dedicated server. Great up-time and fast connection + the best 1 on 1 customer service anywhere.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How my EV1 server's MySQL looks today (don't forget to check out the uptime)...

                    Code:
                    Mon Apr 26 11:33:17 EDT 2004
                    
                    
                     11:33am  up 121 days,  8:04,  0 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.20, 0.12
                    253 processes: 252 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
                    Mem:  1023128K av, 1006816K used,   16312K free,       0K shrd,   89328K buff
                    Swap: 1020116K av,  141652K used,  878464K free                  562996K cached
                    
                    
                    
                    Http processes currently running = 64
                    Mysql processes currently running = 135
                    
                    Netstat information summary
                          1	 ESTABLISHED 
                         16	 LISTEN      
                         99	 TIME_WAIT   
                    
                    +--------------------------+------------+
                    | Variable_name            | Value      |
                    +--------------------------+------------+
                    | Aborted_clients          | 19         |
                    | Aborted_connects         | 7          |
                    | Bytes_received           | 629928352  |
                    | Bytes_sent               | 1241735859 |
                    | Com_admin_commands       | 0          |
                    | Com_alter_table          | 598        |
                    | Com_analyze              | 0          |
                    | Com_backup_table         | 0          |
                    | Com_begin                | 0          |
                    | Com_change_db            | 4096903    |
                    | Com_change_master        | 0          |
                    | Com_check                | 0          |
                    | Com_commit               | 0          |
                    | Com_create_db            | 2          |
                    | Com_create_function      | 0          |
                    | Com_create_index         | 0          |
                    | Com_create_table         | 232        |
                    | Com_delete               | 333681     |
                    | Com_drop_db              | 1          |
                    | Com_drop_function        | 0          |
                    | Com_drop_index           | 0          |
                    | Com_drop_table           | 72         |
                    | Com_flush                | 36         |
                    | Com_grant                | 0          |
                    | Com_insert               | 6137505    |
                    | Com_insert_select        | 167402     |
                    | Com_kill                 | 0          |
                    | Com_load                 | 0          |
                    | Com_load_master_table    | 0          |
                    | Com_lock_tables          | 41         |
                    | Com_optimize             | 0          |
                    | Com_purge                | 0          |
                    | Com_rename_table         | 0          |
                    | Com_repair               | 0          |
                    | Com_replace              | 365411     |
                    | Com_replace_select       | 163        |
                    | Com_reset                | 0          |
                    | Com_restore_table        | 0          |
                    | Com_revoke               | 0          |
                    | Com_rollback             | 0          |
                    | Com_select               | 62380570   |
                    | Com_set_option           | 120        |
                    | Com_show_binlogs         | 0          |
                    | Com_show_create          | 120        |
                    | Com_show_databases       | 13         |
                    | Com_show_fields          | 908        |
                    | Com_show_grants          | 0          |
                    | Com_show_keys            | 0          |
                    | Com_show_logs            | 0          |
                    | Com_show_master_status   | 0          |
                    | Com_show_open_tables     | 0          |
                    | Com_show_processlist     | 0          |
                    | Com_show_slave_status    | 0          |
                    | Com_show_status          | 2          |
                    | Com_show_innodb_status   | 0          |
                    | Com_show_tables          | 193        |
                    | Com_show_variables       | 178        |
                    | Com_slave_start          | 0          |
                    | Com_slave_stop           | 0          |
                    | Com_truncate             | 0          |
                    | Com_unlock_tables        | 39         |
                    | Com_update               | 6745570    |
                    | Connections              | 4097798    |
                    | Created_tmp_disk_tables  | 52102      |
                    | Created_tmp_tables       | 3559081    |
                    | Created_tmp_files        | 0          |
                    | Delayed_insert_threads   | 0          |
                    | Delayed_writes           | 0          |
                    | Delayed_errors           | 0          |
                    | Flush_commands           | 1          |
                    | Handler_delete           | 1406630    |
                    | Handler_read_first       | 333086795  |
                    | Handler_read_key         | 612262541  |
                    | Handler_read_next        | 1774628425 |
                    | Handler_read_prev        | 41227      |
                    | Handler_read_rnd         | 515923254  |
                    | Handler_read_rnd_next    | 2420436932 |
                    | Handler_update           | 7848144    |
                    | Handler_write            | 260557405  |
                    | Key_blocks_used          | 15582      |
                    | Key_read_requests        | 2950502745 |
                    | Key_reads                | 943085     |
                    | Key_write_requests       | 24298538   |
                    | Key_writes               | 18007920   |
                    | Max_used_connections     | 127        |
                    | Not_flushed_key_blocks   | 0          |
                    | Not_flushed_delayed_rows | 0          |
                    | Open_tables              | 657        | 64% of table_cache in use
                    | Open_files               | 1005       |
                    | Open_streams             | 0          |
                    | Opened_tables            | 17474      |
                    | Questions                | 84327616   |
                    | Select_full_join         | 1260452    |
                    | Select_full_range_join   | 314454     |
                    | Select_range             | 16860973   |
                    | Select_range_check       | 0          |
                    | Select_scan              | 11783782   |
                    | Slave_running            | OFF        |
                    | Slave_open_temp_tables   | 0          |
                    | Slow_launch_threads      | 2          |
                    | Slow_queries             | 139        | (execution time > 10 secs)
                    | Sort_merge_passes        | 0          |
                    | Sort_range               | 11203187   |
                    | Sort_rows                | 534070988  |
                    | Sort_scan                | 7236141    |
                    | Table_locks_immediate    | 98471084   |
                    | Table_locks_waited       | 9002       |
                    | Threads_cached           | 127        |
                    | Threads_created          | 128        |
                    | Threads_connected        | 1          |
                    | Threads_running          | 1          |
                    | Uptime                   | 10482876   | 121 days 7 hrs 54 mins 36 secs
                    +--------------------------+------------+
                    
                    
                    Key Reads/Key Read Requests = 0.000320  (Cache hit = 99.99968%)
                    Key Writes/Key Write Requests = 0.741111
                    Connections/second = 0.391 (/hour = 1407.254)
                    KB received/second = 0.059 (/hour = 211.258)
                    KB sent/second = 0.116 (/hour = 416.439)
                    Temporary Tables Created/second = 0.340 (/hour = 1222.250)
                    Opened Tables/second = 0.002 (/hour = 6.001)
                    Slow Queries/second = 0.000 (/hour = 0.048)
                    % of slow queries = 0.000%
                    Queries/second = 8.044 (/hour = 28959.554)
                    Learm to admin your own server!

                    P/S - Even if you don't get an EV1 server, their forums contain the most info about getting stuffs done on your own server by yourself, always a good resource.
                    vB 3.6.4 (No hacks), RedHat Enterprise 3 (+hotfixes), Lighttpd 1.4.13, PHP 5.2.1 (FastCGI, gzip), MySQL 4.1.21, P4 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE disk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by charlieaf92
                      My server is the 1.3 ghz celeron with 512mb of ram and a 60gb hd. It is the cheapest package that they have and is $99 / month.

                      As far as people having bad experiences. I have heard that but very rarely has anyone actually said it from personal experience, mostly it seems like a rumor.

                      As far as reliability - I have had a server with them for about 5 months and it has never been down. There has been about 3 times where the server froze and I had to put in a restart request (which takes about 5 minutes for them to execute), but other than that the server has not missed a beat for the 5 months I've had it.

                      Their customer support is fantastic, I was hesitant at first due to their unmanaged server policy, but they actually help out a lot. They have 24/7 tech chat that is always happy to answer questions (even the stupid questions) and they have toll free phone support as well.

                      When I got my server I had no linux experience and so far it hasn't been a problem. The support staff is always helpful. Trouble tickets are usually responded to in under an hour as well.

                      If you have a shared hosting plan that is reliable and fast that is great. However, I was unable to find one for my vbulletin site that is reliable and fast for under $50/month. Most places were down several times a week for an hour or more at a time.

                      -Charlie
                      99$ / month ROFL!!!

                      Allow me to laugh! I have 250mb webspace, mysql, linux, php, unlimited pop3 accounts, 24h emailsupport (free), daily backups, VERY fast line and i pay 4$ / month... god prais sweden

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        rAZoR-WoC - Recheck things, the $99/month is for a dedicated server through Ev1 it seems, something $4/month would not buy or come close to buying.

                        This is not to say your hosting is no good , though there is a fine line between shared hosting @ $4/month and dedicated hosting @ $99/month. While you may content with your hosting package, some websites do need the power of a dedicated server, of which shared hosting will not compare to.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have been using Ev1 for almost a year, downtime ? Not seen any at all.

                          Support? Almost always with in 40 minutes (not to bad if you ask me)

                          I do not see why so many try to give Ev1 a bad name. Unless perhaps it is people who did not know what they are doing with their box and decide to blame someone else.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rAZoR-WoC
                            99$ / month ROFL!!!

                            Allow me to laugh! I have 250mb webspace, mysql, linux, php, unlimited pop3 accounts, 24h emailsupport (free), daily backups, VERY fast line and i pay 4$ / month... god prais sweden
                            At the price you are paying for each mb of storage I would be paying $960/month for what I have. - 60gb of storeage and 700gb of transfer. $4 / month is a great deal for what you have, as long as it isn't ever down. I need a lot more space and bandwidth for my forums though so this is the best choice for me. Plus, I can try to host some other sites on the side to make some money back.

                            -Charlie
                            http://www.wave5host.com - I host smaller sites on my dedicated server. Great up-time and fast connection + the best 1 on 1 customer service anywhere.

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X