Step by step help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by step help.

Im trying to read a bunch of threads to get some info, but im getting a little confused. How would you go about choosing a server? What do you need? How much is the average yearly cost for a good amount of space? Is there a diffrence between the server and hosting? Just anything and everything I need to know, step by step. Please exscuse my ignorance.

When choosing a hosting plan, I'd first consider what you can freely spend per month and multiply that by 12 to get what you can spend per year; from there we will start .

After you have a general idea of what you can spend, then look at your website and make an estimate as to how much space you will need. If your website is already established, then check your current disk space and bandwidth usage and search for a plan that fits that and your spending budget.

If your website is not yet established, then a good general starting point is a hosting plan carrying 100-200MB's of disk space, 5-10GB's of bandwidth and a general set of features you need. If you are going to be running vBulletin, then you'll need to check for up to date PHP, MySQL as well as a MySQL databases as a feature for the hosting plan (most all hosts provide them, some limit them, some don't, just depends on what you personally think you will need).

If you later find that the above disk space and bandwidth is not enough, you can always upgrade later. I don't think I know of a host that charges to upgrade to another plan, so upgrading should be free and you would just pay the difference in the hosting plans per month/year.

If you are looking for a dedicated server, I would suggest checking servermatrix.com, but keep in mind, a dedicated server is going to cost more than a shared hosting plan and if you are not strong with administering a server, then you may need to go with a technician to help you administer it which does add to the cost.

Feel free to PM me or reply and I will do my best to help you if you have any other questions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X