Sizing a hosting service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing a hosting service

Someone at vBulletin gave me a rule-of-thumb that 100MB of database storage equates to about 100,000 posts.

How about bandwidth? I'm looking at a host that offers 12GB transfers.

Would anyone want to hazzard a guess - how many users would this support in terms on number of users posting X messages per day.

Thanks
    Askold Wawryszyn

Originally posted by Askoldww
    Someone at vBulletin gave me a rule-of-thumb that 100MB of database storage equates to about 100,000 posts.
    That seems like a fair assessment, although it might have been pre-3.0 and thus you might wish to inflate that number a bit....
    Originally posted by Askoldww
    How about bandwidth? I'm looking at a host that offers 12GB transfers.

Would anyone want to hazzard a guess - how many users would this support in terms on number of users posting X messages per day.
    Well, 3.0 tells me that I'm getting about 1200 unique registered users a day (up to 350 at a time, including guests) and that those users are making about 2200 posts per day, all of which seems to be generating about 150 GB per month.

A strict ratio of those numbers says that 12 GB is exactly 8% of my numbers, so you would be looking at 96 unique registered users per day (up to 28 of them at a time, including unregistered guests), and that they could make about 176 posts per day.

That is a pretty small site, IMHO. But it might suit your needs; only you would know, though.

Oh, one more thing: I'm running Zend Performance Suite and gzipping my output. But just about everybody gzips their output, so that should not make any real difference. If you don't gzip, then you need to adjust the numbers above accordingly.

== Bill

Comment

Well, users and posts are not the only thing going to effect your bandwidth, keep in mind the attachments you allow, the amount of different styles you offer and the images with each and other such items.

Bandwidth is not all about users online and the thread/post count . Keep in mind, one site may be using 50GB's per month and another may be using 10GB's per month, it all has to do with what you do and do not allow on your board.

If you're going to allow large attachments and plan to have them downloaded a bit, the bandwidth is going to be higher than that of someone not allowing them or allowing small, mostly image attachments.

In regards to the images and styles, the amount of images each user has to download to view your website is also going to effect how much bandwidth you use. If you are using large banner images (some sites use full 700px by 100px images at the top and wonder where their bandwidth goes ), then you better have the bandwidth to spare as well .

Comment

If minimizing your bandwidth usage under vBulletin 3.0 is the nature of your question, then you ought to look at the various suggestions in THIS THREAD.

However, I thought you were just trying to get a rough idea of what sort of hosting "horsepower" a "typical" board would need. Of course, my board isn't typical. We don't allow attachments at all, and we minimize graphics by not allowing signatures or avatars. As always, YMMV!

== Bill

Comment

I was trying to get a ball-park number to make sure that I wasn't creating something that just wouldn't work.

Thanks for all the detailed feedback - it helped a lot.

Askold
          Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X