1 & 1 Hosting - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one thing: DON'T GO THERE.

I ordered a managed server with them last august and until mid december I had no problems with them. But then it started. In mid december, I received an e-mail that the HD broke down and they had to replace it. By itself, this would have been fine. Then january came, and with it my story:
    We suddenly started experiencing outages with no apparent reason whatsoever. We had no increase in traffic, no change in scripts, nothing. Sometimes the server went down three times per day and it always took them about half an hour (sometimes longer) to get it back online. I called them and mailed them NUMEROUS times, they always said it was due to an overload caused by some script. Then, for some time, everything was fine again, then the problems came back.
    Two days ago I was SO mad at them and once again I called them. It took about 8 minutes for someone to pick up (that's nothing new with them, you get used to it with them) and the guy at the other end kept telling me that he can't see any indication at all that the server was ever down, not even once. In reality, it kept going down every day. And it was not just the MySQL-server, the entire thing was gone. FTP, Apache, SSL, everything. I asked him to send me Apache / MySQL / whatever logs, so I could research this all by myself. His response: "we don't do that, there's no discussion".
    He said, when the server would have been down, they would have had an entry in their log. Apparently, they don't have that. But who restarted the server then? It certainly does not go back online all by itself. Then the question came up if it could be a faulty piece of hardware. He insisted that they would have replaced the part immediately.
    My server keeps going down and they claim they would have error logs if that ever happens, which they apparently don't. But they DO log the last time I called them. As a last resort I asked him to ask an admin to send me some Apache / whatever logs (apparently only they have access to that), but nothing happened.
    I can't stand them anymore. I just can't. In may we will be switching to another ISP, I wish we could switch sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
      Only one thing: DON'T GO THERE.

I ordered a managed server with them last august and until mid december I had no problems with them. But then it started. In mid december, I received an e-mail that the HD broke down and they had to replace it. By itself, this would have been fine. Then january came, and with it my story:
      We suddenly started experiencing outages with no apparent reason whatsoever. We had no increase in traffic, no change in scripts, nothing. Sometimes the server went down three times per day and it always took them about half an hour (sometimes longer) to get it back online. I called them and mailed them NUMEROUS times, they always said it was due to an overload caused by some script. Then, for some time, everything was fine again, then the problems came back.
      Two days ago I was SO mad at them and once again I called them. It took about 8 minutes for someone to pick up (that's nothing new with them, you get used to it with them) and the guy at the other end kept telling me that he can't see any indication at all that the server was ever down, not even once. In reality, it kept going down every day. And it was not just the MySQL-server, the entire thing was gone. FTP, Apache, SSL, everything. I asked him to send me Apache / MySQL / whatever logs, so I could research this all by myself. His response: "we don't do that, there's no discussion".
      He said, when the server would have been down, they would have had an entry in their log. Apparently, they don't have that. But who restarted the server then? It certainly does not go back online all by itself. Then the question came up if it could be a faulty piece of hardware. He insisted that they would have replaced the part immediately.
      My server keeps going down and they claim they would have error logs if that ever happens, which they apparently don't. But they DO log the last time I called them. As a last resort I asked him to ask an admin to send me some Apache / whatever logs (apparently only they have access to that), but nothing happened.
      I can't stand them anymore. I just can't. In may we will be switching to another ISP, I wish we could switch sooner.
      I'm still with them on a managed server II - basically apart from the logs this is the exact thing I got - they kept denying it was down so I send them that tracert thingy (I don't understand it but it shows its not getting to the site and losing hops somewhere) Also blame my scripts - and will ask me what I was doing to cause it to go down. hmmmph, but my story rings much the same as yours. My biggest gripe is the phone line and having to report its down, the managed server is supposed to monitor the site and make sure it is up 99.8% Last night I went down again, and had to phone the out of hours emergency server line - I got thru to the American office, and the guy was such a welcome change, polite courteous everything and got the server up again within ten minutes (well not him but he arranged it lol) In some ways they are very good but when things go wrong they do like to take their time and blame me Mnd you when the site was down previously and it was a faulty machine they did give me 3 months free, but most complaints just result in, well you wouldn't get a better service for the money.

With a medium size site I'd say they were ok, but busier sites they don't seem to cope with, well thats my experience, but My site is not as busy as a lot here, and I'd class it as only medium, but then I think each experience is relatively unique - I had a LOT of downtime with VO but others swear by them

Comment

I don't have to report it being down, thankfully they reset the server themself (after a while!). Sending them traceroutes is a good idea, did it do you any good?
        We should get together and start a site: www.1and1victims.com .

Comment

LOL good idea. Actually the traceroutes seem my only proof it was down. I've had a complete rebuild and 3 months free - so I guess they've done some good. Trouble is, I can't afford another server so for now I have to put up with it.

Comment

When 1 & 1 was introducing themselves to the North American market, they had a free offer for 3 years. After reading the fine print, I took advantage of that for a dormant domain I had just for fun. Although the set up was painless, it took a week before anything was working properly. I simply slapped a mboard (one of the free ones) on it which sees little action.
            Kim

Comment

It took 3 days before any worked in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshs
                Server Matrix > 1&1

For one thing they don't offer cPanel but instead their own proprietary control panel. ugh.
                You aren't saying that 1&1 doesn't offer cPanel are you? I host with 1&1 and they offer both cPanel and Plesk with their servers. I've been with them for a while and haven't had a single problem with downtime or speeds, unlike other hosts I've dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Gordon
                  UK Company that is spreading overseas to reach a greater market potential.
                  They're extremely German and their support is absolutely hopeless. Avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Majik™
                    You aren't saying that 1&1 doesn't offer cPanel are you? I host with 1&1 and they offer both cPanel and Plesk with their servers. I've been with them for a while and haven't had a single problem with downtime or speeds, unlike other hosts I've dealt with.
                    cpanel appears to be unique to their US service. I could be wrong.

Here, their European home market isn't offered much in the way of luxuries (a quick breeze around their .co.uk web site shows no mention of cpanel or custom DNS) and instead we have to make do with their own admin system. It's very old, very slow, and very nasty.

There are also no DNS configuration options I am aware of with my account, and as per another post their support is abysmal. Turnaround for support messages varies between 24 and 48 hours.

Comment

Ya, I can't say for over there.. But, I live in Canada and therefore have my site hosted on their US servers and have never had a problem.

You have 3 choices for a cPanel, Plesk, and their proprietary one. Theirs is actually very nice, it was fairly good before, but in the last couple weeks they've been upgrading it and making lots of changes to it. You can do damn near anything you want to from it now yourself and have the changes effective usually within minutes.

As for support, I've only ever required to contact them twice. Beither was for any problem though, I was just enquiring about upgrading some things. Response was within an acceptable timeframe.

Comment

My experiences with them so far have been pretty positive. I use their European (.co.uk) service and have their "Business" shared hosting package which gives me 1.5Gb of space and 10Gb/month of bandwidth for £8.99/month. My vB board has 90% UK based members so I wanted UK based hosting and my members consistently report my board as one of the fastest and most reliable they use.

In over a year I've never been aware of any downtime or slowness and I frequently have 30+ simulataneous users (max was 79) with no probs. Only time I ever had to contact support was to upgrade MySQL to fix a (MySQL) bug that was causing thread corruption. I found their response time perfectly acceptable.

I can't edit my DNS info but then I don't really need to. I have to use their somewhat clunky control panel but it does what it says on the tin so what's the problem? I've never used cpanel (I don't even know what it is). I've registered several additional domains with them and all have been active in less than 24hrs with no problems.

However.....on the package I have you are limited to a single MySQL db with a maximum size of 100Mb. I didn't know about the 100Mb limit until just a few days ago - it's in the small print . There's no option to increase that size. The only way for me to get a bigger DB is to switch to dedicated hosting (managed or root) at a minimum of £29 a month. Since my DB is already at 75Mb it's going to be an issue fairly shortly.

Michael.

Comment

Apart from their policies regarding changing the DNS of a domain name, they are great.

I've been with them for the best part of a year, on their professional package. To my knowledge, my web site has never been down, they offer a great deal of options with their hosting packages and are generally very reliable.

Being a professional customer, I have free premium support. A quick phone call to the support line, which is also free, and they are there to help, efficient at doing so too.

Comment

michaelab: I also never had problems with them when I was in shared hosting. It's understandable that they carefully manage those servers because downtime would affect many more customers. The problems started when I switched to one of their managed hosting packages.
                            Bottom line is: If you only need shared hosting, 1&1 is great. If you have to go dedicated, don't bother.

Comment

Domain Features:

Package Features:
                              • Hosted on I/O optimised 1&1 Linux version
                              • 500 MB web space
                              • 5 GB/month bandwidth
                              • FTP access
                              • Software worth £400, including NetObjects Fusion 7.5
                              • FrontPage 2002 Extensions
                              • Ready to run CGI scripts
                              • Manage an unlimited amount of domains under one package
                              • Daily backups of your Website
                              • NEW1&1's award-winning Control Panel
                              Performance Features:
                              E-mail Features:
                              • 100 POP3 e-mail accounts with 50 MB space each
                              • 400 e-mail aliases
                              • 1&1 WebMail
                              • E-mail forwarding
                              • Auto-responders
                              • Catch-all e-mail addresses
                              • Symantec virus scan protection for 1 POP3 account
                              Support:

Seems that they have inrtoduced DNS support in the UK.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X