This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Function

Is there a template or a script that I could download to mock the setup of VB's drop down search function.

I would like to add that feature to my portal for a google search and Other Search options listed under it.

Any advice or direction on this subject?

Thank you for all of your help.

ADistantBox

No, there isn't. Nor can you use the copyrighted vB code in anything but a licensed vB.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I did not intend for you to think I was trying to rip the coding.

What I did intend is for direction on how to create something similiar.
      Im sure it is fair game to to use features of java / dhtml / iframe / whatever you might have used to create the drop down box.

So let me rephrase my question.

Can Anyone give me direction to where I might be able to simulate VB's drop down search feature. Is it Java based? simple or difficult? Are there templates online that can provide infromation to harness these features?

Thank you for your help

ADistantBox

Comment

If you don't know Java from JavaScript and don't know how to find the code, you'll have problems.

Besides, see Steve's answer.

Comment

Ok. I didnt know that some would make this so complicated.

If you would read my follow up to Steve's comment then you would see that what I am asking hasnt nothing to do with vbulletin's copyrighted scripting.

If I were to ask, If I may be so broad, "So does anyone know where I could find a php tutorial to make a forum, with a private messaging system and drop down dhtml? menus." would you then shut me off and tell me "no because VB's code cannot be used outside of the vbulliten program"?

So can anyone give me propper direction, or a place to start my studies.

Thank you

Comment

vB copyright??????

No way is a drop drown java scripted box vBB copyrighted. Really you could say they stole it from the many sample codes on to do this function from 10 years ago.
            You guys don't know a hole from your butt.
            Adistantbox if you have a library card there are many good books on javascripting and php coding that will show you how to do this.

And as far as I know there is nothing in the PHP code written by vBB (which I have read front to back) that is copyright. The package as a whole is the product nothing more. Everything they used to create the vBB code is open source.

So taje it easy and use some common sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

villabus, you really don't know what you are talking about. Firstly read up on the differences between visible and open source. It is actually impossible to write a line of code that dosen't have copyright, the question is what type of copyright and whose is it; in the case of the javascript menu it is very much vBulletin's copyright and the company that owns that copyright can determine what they want to do with it.

ADistantBox, there are lots of javascript menus that you can use freely, try www.dynamicdrive.com for a lot - I am not so sure about using vB outside of vBulletin on the same site if you own a license, but we will find out for you.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by ADistantBox
                Is there a template or a script that I could download to mock the setup of VB's drop down search function.
                Mock means similar not copy your menu. He was looking for a Javascripting tutorial that had examples(templates).
                You are right on your menu system but not on a drop down box and that is what he asked.
                I am glad you admit to using the copyrighted material from others in your design since this type of menu systm has been around for 10 years.
                I have been programming for 40 years and have been in management for 20 years. Machol's answer was not only wrong but was rude and he would be dismissed immediately if he worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by villabus
                  I have been programming for 40 years and have been in management for 20 years. Machol's answer was not only wrong but was rude and he would be dismissed immediately if he worked for me.
                  Not a problem since I wouldn't work for someone like you anyway. As for rude:

Originally posted by villabus
                  You guys don't know a hole from your butt.
                  You got me beat.

Nonetheless my intention was not to be rude and if ADistantBox thinks I was, then I apologize.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

villabus,

Firstly the guy was not asking about a SELECT menu which is simply HTML but a complicated javascript mouse over menu system, which is about 20kb of code when I last looked. He is talking about the menu when click on something like "Search This Thread".

Secondly, he wastn't looking for a tutorial to make a new javascript menu system but to use this one. Its a fair enough request but Jelsoft has the right to determine the use of their work.

It is great you have lot of experience in programming but I think you both misunderstood what the person was asking for you, and are a little confused on copyright issues.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X