Where is php.ini located?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is php.ini located?

I'm not sure where to ask this and I know it sounds stupid, but what directory on a server would the php.ini file be located in? I got ahold of my host to chnnge something and he asked where that file would be located. It is a private server and he doesn't mess with that stuff very much, as you can tell.
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Just type:

whereis php.ini

Comment

IT depends where php is installed

Sometimes you might find it in /etc/php.ini, other times you might find it /usr/bin/php/php.ini, on my server you find it in /wwwroot/php/php.ini

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
        Just type:

whereis php.ini
        I don't me to sound stupid, but how is that going to help?
        vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

He means, if your host types that command in the SSH prompt, linux should tell you where it is.

If that doesnt work, updatedb (will take some time) and then locate php.ini.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
            IT depends where php is installed

Sometimes you might find it in /etc/php.ini, other times you might find it /usr/bin/php/php.ini, on my server you find it in /wwwroot/php/php.ini
            Thank you, sir. That answer seems a little better than the whereis one, which I have never heard of before. But then, I don't mess with the server.

I passed the info on to my host so we'll see if he finds it in any one of those areas.

BTW: If you are interested, I would like to discuss something with you via pm. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo
              Thank you, sir. That answer seems a little better than the whereis one, which I have never heard of before. But then, I don't mess with the server.

I passed the info on to my host so we'll see if he finds it in any one of those areas.

BTW: If you are interested, I would like to discuss something with you via pm. Let me know.
              I dont use PM on forums, its annoying

Do you use IRC? If not email is the best option.

Comment

I dont use PM on forums, its annoying

Do you use IRC? If not email is the best option.
                I have Trillian and I use msn, ICQ, aim. Will that work?

Comment

Your host doesn't know where php.ini is located??

I'm sorry about making these comments, it seems there are hosts out there who rush into hosting hoping to make a lot of money and they don't do any research, e.g. looking through the php online manual etc., before launching.

Quite frankly its shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                    Your host doesn't know where php.ini is located??

I'm sorry about making these comments, it seems there are hosts out there who rush into hosting hoping to make a lot of money and they don't do any research, e.g. looking through the php online manual etc., before launching.

Quite frankly its shocking.
                    Yeah, I know what you mean. He bought the server from a guy who had to unload it so he is fairly new at all of this. He's a geat guy, though. Every request I have ever made to him he has done without any problem, unlike the old host who never chnaged or did anything. I could never get them to turn GD on until this guy took over. How bad is that??

I was asking him to up the download limit of php from 2 meg to 10 meg and he said no problem, but he wasn't sure where to find the php.ini file. We all have to learn sometime I guess.

Comment

The location of php.ini will show up when you run phpinfo.php.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I didn't even think of that.

Comment

Boofo, im normally on irc in vbulletin.orgs chat room, #vborg, irc.devcore.co.uk.

Trillian should support it, just pm me (ignore the automated msg about ignoring your pm ! ) and ill get back to you when im around

Comment

Boofo, im normally on irc in vbulletin.orgs chat room, #vborg, irc.devcore.co.uk.

Trillian should support it, just pm me (ignore the automated msg about ignoring your pm ! ) and ill get back to you when im around
                            I'll pm you then.

My host said he upped the PHP maximum upload limit to 10 MB but is still shows 2 MB in the Admin CP. Does anybody know whay it would be doing that?

Comment

What does phpinfo show?
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X